Sign in to follow this  
Wendall

Periodic table of aviation?

Hey guys,

This is a little weird, but here goes...So in my Chem. class (I'm a sophomore in high school), our teacher wants us to "redesign" the periodic table of elements into whatever grouping we want to. Some kids are doing it to be easier to be taught in elementary school, some are doing it based on various medical professions, etc. Being an airplane guy, I was interested as to how I could organize at least 40 of the elements into a table that could be used to identify elements that were used in aviation. I was thinking using a diagram like this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/XG/aircrash-seat-illo-0807.gif to illustrate my point, putting the different element groups into the different seating sections of an airliner.

Anyways, I'm interested in how you guys think I should go about doing this. I'm thinking I should group the elements by gasses used in the production of Jetfuel/100LL, then metals used in aircraft construction etc, and then other groupings. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Anyways, thanks in advance! This is our big project for this half-semester so I'm pulling out all the stops for this one and wondered if you guys would be any help.

Sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out.

Group it as fuel, structural components/electrical, atmosphere used for combustion and keeping the wings held up and maybe the runway or tarmac/ramp elements. 

Remember some planes were/are built with fabric and wood. Not sure what elements of wood and fabric are comprised of but just in case your run out of things that aircraft are built from which is these days either carbon fiber or good ole Al. Guess you could also say they cost tons of Au to buy a 777 costs about 6.5 tons of Au ha.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out.

Group it as fuel, structural components/electrical, atmosphere used for combustion and keeping the wings held up and maybe the runway or tarmac/ramp elements. 

Got it, thanks guys!

Remember some planes were/are built with fabric and wood. Not sure what elements of wood and fabric are comprised of but just in case your run out of things that aircraft are built from which is these days either carbon fiber or good ole Al. Guess you could also say they cost tons of Au to buy a 777 costs about 6.5 tons of Au ha.

Wood, natural fabric and carbon fibre all consist mainly of carbon and hydrogen, just in different configurations.

Thought I'd let you guys see the finished product,

The wing is based on the A32x series. It took up probably 2/3 of my work time! :lol:

Sorry for the low cell phone quality, all I had.

EDIT: nevermind, that image is huge! In that case, extremely sorry for my poor handwriting.

Hey that's pretty cool! Nice job!

That's a cool approach to it! Great work!

That's very creative. Interested in a career in aviation? Take a look at Embry-Riddle University.