Sign in to follow this  
KSATRoadWarrior

FPS - 30 vs. Unlimited?

I am using internal limiter. If i don't use it, i suffer fps lag, especially over large water.

Is this REX water?

If so try setting Nvidia Inspector AF to application controlled.

I posted about this on the REX forum over a year ago. It results in substantial increase in frame rate over water. I suspect it would help your stutters too.

Water should be set in FSX to one notch lower than max, if your system can handle it.

REX have included the DX 1 option, but I gather many are still finding application controlled in NI advantageous.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15731-rex-water-frame-rate-loss-fix/

I should also add that it also depends on where you are flying. Some types of scenery is smoother with unlimited, others with locked. Typical difference can be experienced when flying over densly populated areas vs. wilderness with lots of trees.

That's FSX in a nutshell. Little science, lots of voodoo!

Experiment for youself. You don't have to waste a day (or a week) tweaking - Take baby steps. Try a whole flight with fps @ unlimited, then the next whole flight with fps locked @ 30. That way you can enjoy FSX and try out how things behave on your computer setup with your tweaks, your aircraft and your scenery.

The thing is, FSX is like a customized race car. If you drive NASCAR or Formula 1 you can't just copy the setup of a different car to your car and expect it to behave the same.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

At least on my system external limiter set to 30 is the best option, I'm using ATI too.

Internal limited set to 30 caused FPS to drop by 5 and very slow texture loading. 

Same here on nVidia, therefore I set Unlimited in FSX, limit to 30 in Inspector, and set 1/2 refresh rate. Gives me 4-6 FPS more in all heavy sceneries/scenarios. No matter what people say.

And btw, after 2 years of celebrating

Usepools=0 /  AffinityMask=14 

I'm knowingly back to:

[bUFFERPOOLS] 

UsePools=1

Poolsize=8388608 

RejectThreshold=126976

no AffinityMask

Works better in many ways, including FPS.

Dirk.

• Upvote 1

Looking for technical reasons why choose FPS 30 vs. FPS Unlimited.

As you can see, the results are all over the map.

• Some users set the internal limiter to (Something) and find it to be best.
  • Others set the internal limiter to (Unlimited) and have great success.
  • Still others set the internal limiter unlimited but use an external limiter at (Something) and prefer that.

It's very system and user dependent as to which you will find best suited to your needs.

It really is crazy.

Biggest YMMV issue for this sim. 

Agreed and biggest understatement of the thread!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Same here on nVidia, therefore I set Unlimited in FSX, limit to 30 in Inspector, and set 1/2 refresh rate. Gives me 4-6 FPS more in all heavy sceneries/scenarios. No matter what people say.

I'm knowingly back to:

[bUFFERPOOLS] 

UsePools=1

Poolsize=8388608 

RejectThreshold=126976

no AffinityMask

Works better in many ways, including FPS.

I'm running what you run plus Bandwidth_Mult at 80 and that's about it regarding tweaks.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I'm also an ATI user and  try and get FSX running the best it can on my system, Personally I find setting the frames to unlimited causes a lack of smoothness and sometimes blurries. I have also tried an external frame limiter set at 30 but still get blurries.

I find I I get much better perfomance setting my frames locked at 30FPS within FSX itself.

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I just bumped my internal limiter from 30 to 40 to give it another shot. Works great is some places..doesn't do a thing in others. I still drop to the teens in places like LAX. Back to 30 it goes.

Bring on P3D v2.0....lol

Really appreciate all the feedback. Interesting reading EVEN if I am still confused on the subject as much as ever. I will continue to experiment and keep in mind all of the valuable feedback from everyone. THANKS....

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I'm running what you run plus Bandwidth_Mult at 80 and that's about it regarding tweaks.

Yes, I forgot about my Bandwidth Multi at 120.

Dirk.

I have a terrible computer - it's a laptop. 2.8ghz i7 with 8gb RAM. I used to lock at 17fps thinking that would be safe. My sim ran at around 10fps for months. One day, i set fps to unlimited as well as setting airline traffic etc. to very low. Then, I was getting 30-40fps stable. This may not sound a lot but to my tired, stuttering used-to eyes, it was amazing.

I have a terrible computer - it's a laptop. 2.8ghz i7 with 8gb RAM. I used to lock at 17fps thinking that would be safe. My sim ran at around 10fps for months. One day, i set fps to unlimited as well as setting airline traffic etc. to very low. Then, I was getting 30-40fps stable. This may not sound a lot but to my tired, stuttering used-to eyes, it was amazing.

Perfect example on why you should only limit the frames IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH CPU LEGROOM otherwise performance will be even worse than before. If you do however have enough CPU horsepower then by all means limit because it will give a smoother experience with much faster ground texture loading. So, weak CPU=unlimited frames whilst strong CPU=limited frames, 30fps for example.

I've tried several external limiters and found that the one built into FSX works the best for me.

I've been limiting to 30 for many years, but might just try unlimited again as I've not done so for a long time.

I think I found that the sim was much smoother on my system limited to 30 but all users and different rigs and set ups seem to find different solutions that work best for them.

Running a system dedicated to FSX seems to work the best with only the background processes needed running.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Every system is different. I've now bid farewell to FSX but for me running in DX10 with frames to unlimited and vsync forced to half refresh in NI (60hz monitor) produced by far the 'smoothest' experience.  

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com