Sign in to follow this  
Nixon

Helsinki and the 777

Just increase the memory....I have 8GB of RAMN suffered OOM at OMDB...I am icreasing my memory to 128Gb of super fast RMAN.

Regis (an bho dhearg)

Regis Biassala 

Just increase the memory....I have 8GB of RAMN suffered OOM at OMDB...I am icreasing my memory to 128Gb of super fast RMAN.

Regis (an bho dhearg)

U can have 2000MG of ram the point is FSX dosnt care at al how much ram u have if u have 16GB or 2000 is the same.

Well what do you know.

I am actually from Newport honestly.

You still live there?

Indeed I do

Regis (an bho dhearg)

Regis

FSX is 32 bit program and will never ever use more than 4GB of memory. Your 8GB is fine. More memory is just a waste of money.

Michael Cubine

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!! YOU JERKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :t0103: The best flight sim version yet and they close shop leaving it buggy. Bill Gates or whom ever, order the Aces team back together and fix FSX with some patches, I will even pay for such a patch!!!!!!!!!!!! This is getting bad, how can we still have problems when we beef up our computers???? :t0152: :t0117:

kiekiekiekiekiekie......Bambang

Regis Biassala 

Like someone said, high VAS and OOM is not because of the 777. Before I had the 777, I use to run out of memory with the NGX, Dash8 and the Twin OtterX. Its all in the settings. I use to run OOM mostly in NYC with manhattanX with my settings all the way to the right.

Some sceneries behave much better than others. With the scenery config editor its very easy to disable scenery thats not in use unlike the one in FSX. Just uncheck some boxes and save. Now I leave all my scenery disabled and when I want to do a flight I open up scenery editor and check the airport I'm flying from or to and save. Its not that hard. It takes me about 10 minutes to start FSX, since its the last program I start after doing my flight and route planning.

Another thing I do is never set TML above 1024. I use FEX clouds and those are 512. Some people think that you have to have TML at 2048 or 4096 to have nice graphics, well they are wrong. You will not see any difference except in VAS usage. I do 14hr flights with the 777 and my VAS never goes above 3gig.

Like someone said, high VAS and OOM is not because of the 777. Before I had the 777, I use to run out of memory with the NGX, Dash8 and the Twin OtterX. Its all in the settings. I use to run OOM mostly in NYC with manhattanX with my settings all the way to the right.

Anecdotal evidence indicates that the T7 uses more memory than other add ons. I only once ever had an OOM with the NGX and that was flying into Aerosoft's Innsbruck and as I also have Austrian X and Switzerland scenery installed am not surprised. I have the Dash 8 and the new Aerosoft Twin Otter X. I have flown the Dash 8 a lot including around Switzerland and I have never had an OOM.

An OOM is caused by the cumulative effect of all the programs running in FSX so in a sense no one add on is to blame.

As I have said earlier in this thread and for clarity will say again:

Compromises have to be made to use the T7 and as far as am concerned I would not have purchased the T7 if I had known that in advance. Therefore I think it would be helpful if PMDG made that clear before purchase.

My other point is that PMDG say OOM's are not an issue caused by the T7 and as I said above that's true but I also stand by the fact that every other add on producer can correctly say the same thing. As the memory usage in FSX will always be just over 4Gb there is the danger that each add on will want to have a "bigger part of a fixed sized pie".

I would think that each flight simmer will have his or her's preferred settings and if things carry on as I predict in the above paragraph there may will come a time for each of use when we are no longer willing to compromise. For me the NGX is fine but the T7 is precariously balanced on that tipping point. I accept that for others that will not be the case.

That is why I hope that the new PMDG 747 will be more akin to the NGX and if it leans towards the 777 then I doubt that I will buy it.  

Finally I am thankful for the advice people have given on overcoming OOM's but I have tried them all so my above comments re the 777 and proposed 747 stand.

I have just completed my flight to Helsinki. I had no AI traffic and reduced my Active Sky 2012 clouds from 1024 to 512 resolution. As soon as I started to taxi I once again had the dreaded ping pong. Fortunately FSX didn't crash.

I have many times flown successfully into Helsinki in the NGX with 40% AI traffic and a cloud resolution of 1024.  I think that illustrates my point.

As PMDG apparently are not at all responsible for memory usage I will post this on the Aerosoft forums to see if they can help.  

Uninstall the T7 and ask for your money back lol.

You have to understand that FSX is an old program and compromises will have to be made somewhere. Its up to you to decide what it will be.

You can either 1. disable the sceneries that you are not flying to and enjoy a nice flight with one of the best FSX addons or 2. you can keep all your sceneries activated which is loaded into memory which may cause OOM and not being able to complete your flight. The choice is yours.

And posting over at the aerosoft forums wont really help unless there is a way to use low res textures at their airports. Most of AS airports and sceneries  uses a lot of VAS. An example is ManhattanX. I loaded the Twin Otter extended with opus at LGA airport. Right out of the gate my VAS was 3.2gig and the limit 4 gig. It didnt take long before I heard the dreaded ping before I ran out of memory

I fully understand that FSX is an old programme. 

Try reading my last but one post again and you may understand what am getting at.

I have just completed my flight to Helsinki. I had no AI traffic and reduced my Active Sky 2012 clouds from 1024 to 512 resolution. As soon as I started to taxi I once again had the dreaded ping pong. Fortunately FSX didn't crash.

I have many times flown successfully into Helsinki in the NGX with 40% AI traffic and a cloud resolution of 1024.  I think that illustrates my point.

As PMDG apparently are not at all responsible for memory usage I will post this on the Aerosoft forums to see if they can help.  

Suggesting this test:

- Deactivate the airport addon in your scenery library (don't uninstall!)

- Start a flight with the T7 at a gate at this airport (default airport)

- Take a note of your VAS usage (freeware tools available from microsoft)

- Choose 'World' and library from the menu bar and re-activate the addon airport

- Let FSX run the scenery database and reload the flight situation

- Take a 2nd note of your VAS usage

- Post the two VAS readouts here... on AVSIM ...

Thanks Oliver for you comments. Aerosoft have replied to my post asking for details of my exact Helsinki settings.

Thanks Oliver for you comments. Aerosoft have replied to my post asking for details of my exact Helsinki settings.

And since the reply you received at Aerosoft on the T7 was worth commenting as well, you find another reply by me over there, too.   wink.png