Sign in to follow this  
MichaelTurner

How much have you spent on FSX?

Out of idle curiosity I thought I would tot up how much I had spent on FSX over the years. The result rather surprised me  - about £600 on software and another £650 on dedicated hardware but not including the PC on which to run it..

This excludes what I had previously spent on FS2002 and FS 2004. And I thought I'd found my self a cheap hobby when I snagged a copy of FSX for £15 on eBay those few years ago :rolleyes:

I've no doubt however that this is small beer compared to what other enthusiasts have spent.

Regarding FSX as a single computer game, it's gotten really expensive for me. (Every new rig I've bought was only because of yet another MSFS version.)

Comparing it to a model railway (a station here, a couple of trees there, once in a time a new locomotive ...) it's not as bad - as long as you judge the costs on a bucks-per-month basis!   rolleyes.gif

Honestly, I don't want to know. A rough estimation would be about the same as you did, Michael, assuming that 1£ equals about 1.5€, but most of my spedings went into software, my computer was about 600€, which I'd guess is about one third of what I've spent on flight simming over the past four years.

But it probably sounds more than it is in the end, because it would be maybe 20-30€ a month - and one can spend that easily during one weekend in a pub on a couple of beers B)

In terms of hardware, $5500+
If you look at my system, it isn't the most spectacular, but the figure is high because I included the upgrades I've made over these couple of years, and also, hardware in India is stupidly expensive.
In terms of software.. Don't want to look, don't want to see. All I know is, $200 over the last month (T7 + FTXG).

Aamir Thacker

Let's just say that the less I know about the total figure, the better...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I dont think I should count it all up ...

Hardware

PC - £1,400

Upgrade to 512gb SSD - £270 (best money ever spent)

Monitors x 3 - £600

TH2GO - £250

TrackIR - £130

Saitek Controls - £350

Saitek Panels - £180

VRI MCP - £450

Network - £60

Headset - £110

Tablet for CDU - £160

Hardware for new custom switch panel im making - £180 (+ another £100 to spend)

Backup Network Drive - £100

Software

Too much to list ... prop another £2,000 easy (prob closer to £3-4,000)

PLEASE ... dont tell my wife!!! LOL

Over a few grand on software 80P

ZORAN

Since 1998

With all the computers

many monitors

LOTS of software most of which has become obsolete,

about 10 thousand dollars

so about 500 a year means about 2500 $ for FSX

Probably around £3000 in total but doesn't run on a machine built for FSX only. In terms of a hobby, flight simulation isn't that expensive, in terms of a computer game ##### that's insane!!!! :)

Yeah, but it's still much cheaper than the real thing.  And there's no way I'd get to have a real 777 :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Nearly $300 in the past 4 weeks alone :blink: Although I'd love to see a new PMDG plane every month, I'd most certainly have to get a 2nd or even 3rd job to afford it :lol:

Chris Sunseri

Around £3000 on software and another £1000 or so on Goflight hardware, yokes throttles ect plus whatever the PC build I am running at the time cost me to build.

Have not really used the sim in a year, just burnt out with it all.

Hopefully the dark nights and winter weather get me back into it.

Unknown!!!  Need to rob a bank to support this hobby!!!!