Sign in to follow this  
MichaelTurner

How much have you spent on FSX?

I am not going to say how much I've spent over the years (don't want to look or know), but I will say this. The next time you are considering a new graphics card, CPU, etc. for FSX, consider the value of your investment and how these parts will help you get the most out of them.

In other words, why not just splurge for the 780 or Titan? You know you deserve it. And, you can justify the cost by lying to yourself that it is needed to justify all the other money you've spent on FSX. A Titan can help you maximize the money you've already spent.

And seriously, since I splurged for the 4770k and GTX 770, my investment in FSX has never felt so justified. I am seeing this sim the way the original ACES team thought about it. FSX has finally started to fulfill the dreams that the original visionaries had. 

You owe it to yourself! lol

Wow, I guess as we get older "some times" we become a little more conservative. I have not spent nearly as much as the posters so far (as you can see from my configuration) but about $1,000 for hardware and about $300 on software, (it has only been a little over one year)!! :lol:

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I spent enough that if my wife found out...she would have my head. I know that much.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Too much, just in the last two months, definitely over $250

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

$1700 on aircraft, scenery, traffic and weather.

And I still want more. Lots more.

I'm off to have my head examined.

it surely seems that we take this sim extremely  very seriously!!

Since the beginning of FSX:  Hardware Upgrades at least € 5000. Software maybe a bit less around 3000-3500€. Can't say it is cheap for computer 'gaming' but for a real hobby it is ok if one can afford it.

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I tried just counting software, then hardware but stopped. It's cheaper per hour than renting an airplane (I hope)!

My wife can never know about my FSX addiction.

supporter.jpg

I am not counting but I would say that every Video card, CPU and/or Complete system build that I have done Including the Most recent (i7 4770k, GTX 780, etc.) since the release of FSX has been primarily motivated by getting better performance out of that program. Not to say that I don't use my system for other demanding apps but the bench mark has been FSX for years and years. Guessing $10,000+ in last 8 or so years. That does not take into account the I sold all the hardware that I nolonger need on ebay and retrieved at least half of that. I have about $1000 of FSX and related software. My last build was an i7 920 system which I managed to OC to 4.85GHZ It was not stable LOL but did 32000+ on 3Dmark06. My New system just built and still being worked on cost me over $4000 including a 60" Samsung Plasma. It does 32000+ on 3DMark06 at stock clocks! I have had years of entertainment out of this. Don't regret a penny of it!

I put it all in a spreadsheet and was pretty shocked with what I found: Over $3000 USD in less than 2 years of flight simming. About 1/3 of that is hardware such as controllers (Yoke, pedals, joystick, throttle quad) and also trackIR, SSD's, video card, USB headset... My average software addon purchase is $29. That's not a lot for an individual purchase but it's very sneaky how those add up. My addon purchases have slowed quite a lot in the last year as I've resolved to only buy top quality addons and use them in depth rather than succumb to sales and impulse purchases. Also I'm spending a lot more time painting airplanes and learning to make scenery. Most of the needed development tools are free or very inexpensive for an amateur like me.

Hope my wife doesn't read this post or find my spreadsheet.  :lol:

Barry Friedman

Too much. :lol:

Seriously though. I've bought 3 computers since 2006 when I first started using FSX. Roughly $2000 each or so. Not to mention about $2000 in hardware (monitors, joysticks, pedals, etc), and probably another $600 or so in add-ons.

I am with many fellow simmers here. I do not dare count or add it up.

That being said I am much more prudent about what I purchase during the past couple years. And when I buy usually I wait for a sale, unless it is a must have (PMDG 777 for example).

No matter what I have spent it has given me hours of enjoyment and has been worth it.

Since 2000 (FS8, FS9 and FSX), conservatively, I'd say:

$3,500 on software

$8,000 on hardware (includes 4 dedicated FS rigs)

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

The important thing to remember is as long as you're having fun, then cost is irrelevant. As I spent probably $8000 or whatever on FSX, I've probably spent $4000 or so on movie watching (TVs, movies, home theater setups) because I enjoy those two things.

And seriously, since I splurged for the 4770k and GTX 770, my investment in FSX has never felt so justified. I am seeing this sim the way the original ACES team thought about it. FSX has finally started to fulfill the dreams that the original visionaries had.

This will my next (and probably last) FSX upgrade.

I also put everything on a spreadsheet over a couple of days. I had been buying stuff and printing the recepits and dropping them in a folder in a desk drawer. The folder is pretty thick so I started a spreadsheet...I'm embarrassed to say that just in FS9/FSX software and scenery (not the hardware for three computers I've built over the years)...a little over $11,500.00. :p0503:  Probably another $7500.00 in motherboards, hard drives, SSD's, video cards, water blocks, fans, keyboards/mice, yoke/foot pedals/throttle, switch panels and more.

Just a hobby? I think not!!!!! Where else can you fly and have a couple of cold beers????

I figure that I'll never really be able to fly around the world to the places I see on a map...so FSX is the next best thing... :united-states-flag:

System:   AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz, 16G RAM, Asus Crosshair V Formula Z, MSI 1080ti STRIXI, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Coolermaster Cosmos case, 1200W PSU, 1-256G Intel SSD, 4-512G Samsung 840 Pro SSDs, 1-1Tb Samsung 840 Pro SS, 6Tb+ external USB disk space, Prepar3D V4.3, All MegaSceneryEarth, REX OD, All ORBX