Sign in to follow this  
Bunkers

Carenado Grand Caravan EX is out!

Default as usual... It's the same G1000 as their TBM, cirrus, Cessnas etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't understand why they can't make the nav database navigraph or aerosoft compatible. Is it really that difficult to program? All the excellent modelers and texture artists on their team, all the fine people in this world, and they can't find one person who can program the database to use navigraph? I think their G1000 is pretty good; the knob tech is top notch(much better than F1), looks better than F1's, they added the ability to edit flightplans on the fly, if only the database was up to date....sigh.

I don't understand why they can't make the nav database navigraph or aerosoft compatible. Is it really that difficult to program?

No it isn't, some Navigraph AIRAC packs are just text files and some others are databases, both quite easy to access and parse.

(I'm sure there are other pack types, but I don't have those planes)

I’m all in with Carenado and any other developer that supports P3D, except the T182T that I got from F1 because of their superior G1000 with navigraph support.

They are pumping out gorgeous looking planes like rabbits, and for the life of me can’t understand why don’t they put out an advanced version of their avionic suites.  As expansions if you will for the EFD100, G500, G1000 etc.  (Great looking bodywork with no brains).

Private jet current offerings are dated and old so I’m eagerly waiting for their EMB500 Phenom and truly hope it is more than just eye candy.

Cheers.

I don't understand why they can't make the nav database navigraph or aerosoft compatible. Is it really that difficult to program?

Yeah, it is. Using FSX default means you can use FSX default autopilot logic.

Reading a navigraph database is the easy bit. Taking that information and converting it into a working autopilot/fmc configuration is a heck of a lot of coding. One example, it is stupidly easy to use FSX commands to get the distance to an FSX database airport. With a custom database you have to create custom code for all those sort of functions.

www.antsairplanes.com

Private jet current offerings are dated and old so I’m eagerly waiting for their EMB500 Phenom and truly hope it is more than just eye candy.

Cheers.

Me too, but I think we'll be disappointed.

Default as usual... It's the same G1000 as their TBM, cirrus, Cessnas etc.

Well, adding RXP GPS even as popup/2D may allow crossfeed of the RXP flight plan to the G1000 for display and interface with the autopilot.  Is that likely the case?  If so it could interface a much more current NAV database including WAAS approaches.

I just last week flew my Ver 1 Carenado C208 down to the Cessna Greensboro maintenance center for a major overhaul, to have my analog instruments upgraded to RXP Flightline, and to get a separate repaint completed.  Already committed for those dollar expenditures, so this will have to be out into the future.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'm finding it, as always, a unique and enjoyable plane to fly.  Very different for sure from the SR-22, and different as well, more importantly, from the TBM850 (latter is much higher-powered!).

I don't worry about the airnav databases on these things.  Every plane has its strengths, and weaknesses.

Frame rates are fine, even with the two PFDs and MFD live.

One thing you should remember when flying in a heavy traffic area, though: unlike some of the other Carenados with G1000s, this one defaults with the traffic alerting system ON, which is a blast if you're just sitting on the ground but can be too exciting if you're negotiating KJFK (or YBBN, for that matter) at rush hour..... :grece-flag:

Yeah, it is. Using FSX default means you can use FSX default autopilot logic.

Reading a navigraph database is the easy bit. Taking that information and converting it into a working autopilot/fmc configuration is a heck of a lot of coding. One example, it is stupidly easy to use FSX commands to get the distance to an FSX database airport. With a custom database you have to create custom code for all those sort of functions.

If that is the case. How does ISG1 do it using default autopilots and aircraft?

Yes RXP with the LinkGPS=on in the RXP.ini will allow the data to be displayed on the Carenado G1000. It's a decent workaround if you have the 430 or 530.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If that is the case. How does ISG1 do it using default autopilots and aircraft?

By doing the hard work.

It didn't say it was impossible. I said it involved a lot of work. Do you think Ernie (from ISG1) took a couple of days to knock out his avionics? I bet you he spent a heck of a lot of time working on them and this is what the original question was all about: "Is it really that difficult to program?"

Most FSX aircraft with custom databases still use the default autopilot (try to accelerate time to more than x16, if you get a message saying you can't go higher than x16 when the AP is on then the aircraft is controlling the default AP (yes, even PMDG) ), they just take control away from the user and send their own commands to it (ie heading and rate of climb). I've done this myself when creating a custom AP that had a vertical mode that didn't work like the default AP. Come to think of it that AP also had a heading mode not covered by the default AP commands so I had to do that as well.

Think about this. If you are using the FSX database and default GPS logic and autopilot and you want to fly KSEA all you need to do is switch the AP to GPS mode and send KSEA to the GPS as the next waypoint. Stupidly easy.

Using a custom database you need to calculate the heading to KSEA (after loading the airport coords from your database), constantly accounting for great circle navigation.

There is a whole load of donkey work you have to do using custom databases. eg you can just send a flight plan to the default GPS and it will handle switching to the next waypoint at the appropriate time. Use a custom database and you have to do all that stuff yourself.

If it was easy to make a custom database and autopilot then everyone would be doing it wouldn't they?

It takes me about a month to create a GPS based on the default GPS (and I've done this 3 times). It would take me at least 6 months to code a completely custom GPS.

www.antsairplanes.com

How do FPS compare to SR22?

I'm asking because FPS (even after SP) in SR22 are very poor, I just can't fly it (I usually get 30@30 but with SR22 in the same situation I only get around 20 with G1000 turned on). That's why I don't buy Carenado with G1000 and I'll probably have to pass this one too.

The FPS patches for the SR22 and T182T really fixed all the frame rate issues for me. FPS with their TBM 850 is also excellent. I would surprised if the Caravan is a step back again.. Whatever they did wrong with the 182T and SR22, they've corrected now.

That said, if I was looking to buy a Caravan, I would go with their older steam gauge version. Much more common in the real world, so it's much more realistic if you want to simulate flying for a small carrier etc.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I don't understand why they can't make the nav database navigraph or aerosoft compatible. Is it really that difficult to program? All the excellent modelers and texture artists on their team, all the fine people in this world, and they can't find one person who can program the database to use navigraph? I think their G1000 is pretty good; the knob tech is top notch(much better than F1), looks better than F1's, they added the ability to edit flightplans on the fly, if only the database was up to date....sigh.

It doesn't take much to look better than F1's. All of their models look the same inside.  I don't buy their planes anymore.  I was banned from one of their forum topics for merely stating if you've sat in one F1 cabin, then you've sat in them all. I love their flight dynamics but their eye candy is by far weak.  You would think these developers would listen to their customers........

Gary

Their king air is excellent and looks like the real one. If you've seen the inside of a mustang or king air /G1000 you'll notice how even the real ones appear pristine and plasticky.

I was just in a C90Gti the other day with Collins PL21 - yep very sterile looking.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Their king air is excellent and looks like the real one. If you've seen the inside of a mustang or king air /G1000 you'll notice how even the real ones appear pristine and plasticky.

I was just in a C90Gti the other day with Collins PL21 - yep very sterile looking.

Airplanes are still one of the few products still built for function over form.

Cars and trucks sure aren't anymore...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nissan+juke&qpvt=nissan+juke&FORM=IGRE#a

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato