Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

help, can't get good looking water in DX10.......

I've been seeing some great water shots since the fixer came out in the various threads on the different forums.  I'd really love to know everyone is getting that nice reflective & clear water.  Mine looks like total garbage since my reinstall.  It looked bad before on the 3.2.2 patch in the file library but also under DX9 something was off too, so I reinstalled FSX from scratch since something was corrupted.  I actually uninstalled everything then reinstalled including to a totally new folder over about 4 days to finish all the addons.  Then I added on the DX10 Fixer tool.  Since then I've tried default water textures, REX water textures, default water animations, REX water animations, default water shader, DX Fixer water shader (i.e. turning the water option on) on default settings, and FSWC Lite's DX10 sample shader in about every combination I can think of.  Cleared shader cache in between all, I'm running 2.x Low water.  

This is what I end up with over the middle of the Pacific due east of San Francisco or pretty much anywhere else............... (this is REX default water textures, "use this" animation, and the Fixer tool's default water settings along with some "WX influenced" textures for clouds/sky/etc. in REX)uRzvd.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Try editing the REX ocean water by adding some plankton, slider to the left and perhaps also darken it a bit.

You can do the same with the inland water and be rid of the bright blue.

I have managed to achieve this, which is not at all bad, also 2.xLow and using the FSWC DX10 shaders.

First hint, go to your C:\Users\YouName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\Terrain folder and ensure that your water40 files are up to date with the latest shaders that you are trying, ie check that the date is not older than your last change.

You can delete the four files and FSX will put them back.

If you are not sure, just move them out of that folder and put them somewhere safe.

Another hint, disable your "aircraft casts shadows on the ground", it never seems to look right and consumes effort that your PC will spend better elsewhere.

Regards,

Nick

Water2_zps585f22e7.jpg

If you use FSWC, make sure it's set to default to begin with.

If you use FSWC, make sure it's set to default to begin with.

Well, I have to use FSWC Lite to get a DX10 shader, but I also have regular FSWC installed because I used it before DX10 for the DX9 shaders.  Should I set those to default too?  (i.e. do they interact with each other somehow?)  I notice when I use the DX10 Fixer to set values, there is a definite change but water40.fx file (I believe that's the right file for DX10, I might be remembering the filename slightly wrong right now) never gets a modified date/time when using the Fixer to change the water shader.  Just to make sure it was working I set the first value from .1 to something silly like .8 and the water most definitely changed.

Here's an example of something that was posted over in the OrbX DX10 screenshots forum.  I've seen a few people with water like this and I have no idea how they're getting it.  I understand I won't get the clouds reflection with 2.x low, but they claim to be just running DX10 fixer shaders and I have yet to see dark water with that kind of shiny look to it.

dx10_08_486_1280.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Could be shader mod 3.0. I'd default everything water related.

Could be shader mod 3.0. I'd default everything water related.

I thought that didn't work on Nvidia cards?  The guy that posted it is using a GTX580.  

Shader mod 3 works on nvidia... I didn't like it though.. it made the water shine unrealistically.

Ok I think I figured it out.  I need to run 2.x medium or above and it starts getting all nice & shiny.  I'll have to do some testing to see how my system handles medium though.  Right now rex water + rex "use this" animations + DX10 Fixer water shader + 2.x medium is looking pretty good.  I used 2.x low forever but it's apparently not enough now.  Or I have to figure out how to get a darker water in there.   FSWC Lite's DX10 file seemed to be much worse.  It was darker, but the reflection is not as good and made it overall look worse to me at various altitudes.

I have defaulted back to default water textures and animation, which the ACES team did right. I love REX so don't get me wrong, but many textures just do not look right in dx10.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

... I'm running 2.x Low water.

This is what I end up with over the middle of the Pacific due east of San Francisco or pretty much anywhere else............... (this is REX default water textures, "use this" animation, and the Fixer tool's default water settings along with some "WX influenced" textures for clouds/sky/etc. in REX)uRzvd.jpg

IIRC 2x low will only give you advanced wave animation and a second layer of texture rendering. To have the clouds and sun reflections rendered, you need to go medium. High will give you terrain reflections also, where ultra high also renderes autogen and objects reflections...

Mas

I have defaulted back to default water textures and animation, which the ACES team did right. I love REX so don't get me wrong, but many textures just do not look right in dx10.

Yeah I think I'm back to the default textures for color (though I'm going to give the tropical waters a shot because great barrier looks decent under DX10 for instance).  I'm debating between keeping the default animation or the "use this" one which looks decent.  If I turn water to 2.x medium in default areas of FSX (non ORBX scenery packages) then it looks pretty good actually.  Whatever coloring ORBX did to PNW also looks great, although I found out if you load REX water textures after switching the ORBX region active it seems to clash with or overwrite the ORBX changes a bit and looked nasty.  I think I can run 2.x medium everywhere except ORBX PNW though.  Just too much of a hit in spot view at least there even with default aircraft.  I know I won't be able to run it there with the PMDG 737, but hopefully I can in the rest of the world.  I still have to do testing on that.

So, I'm not sure offhand if OrbX Australia's custom water coloring extends as far as Papua New Guinea, but finishing my flight from Cairns to there last night, the water with default FSX animation and DX10 fixer and 2.x medium water looked amazing.  I then moved to San Francisco area and I think the water was slightly light blue though, but still I think I found the best solution for now.

Thought I'd show a picture of my final water result.  So far I'm having good luck with default water texture and animation, DX Fixer shader at default settings, water at 2.x medium, and using REX's tropical water I can usually find one that works pretty well.

Yes, but you really need to see animated water at close range to know if it is any good or not.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png