Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Airbus vs. Boeing

I was Airbus fan for 2 years, flying only A320/321. Yesterday I finally bought QW 757 after a year of prolonging, and I love it. And ofcourse I love it because I flew in PA 320 for a year. Now I'm in "transition altitude", switching to Boeing, getting used to different cockpit layout, AP, etc. And that brings me to this: Airbus vs. Boeing!

Ok, let me start:

Airbus - very good for beginners, more automated systems, less buttons and switches, generally learning curve in Airbus is shorter than in Boeing. Also, Airbus cockpits are better organised, buttons/switches are easier to find, AP management is easier than in Boeing. One thing that I will miss is cockpit visibility. In A3xx the visibility is superb, especially on landings. you can easily move POV up to see runway and both displays all the time. And the horizon line is in the middle of the view, where it should be.

FlyByWire system can be really frustrating for beginners, because there is a big delay after control input (for a reason), so in the start you could often find yourself switching off FBW system during finals. The key with FBW is to be VERY active on a stick on finals and landings, you must practice that alot. You can check that in various YouTube videos.

Only negative thing about Airbus - you don't have lots of options for quality and complex models in FSX, the best bet so far is Airbus X Extended, but it is very hard on frames on my system. FSL is working on another Airbus. You have Wilco Evolution family, and CLS Airbus series, and seeing them on YouTube I didn't got the feel of quality, especialy for CLS models. Project Airbus has a very good V3 package for A320/A321, but they are simple system wise and they are using default FSX Airbus cockpit.

Boeing -  very rewarding for advanced simmers, lots of systems to play with :), more buttons and switches to keep you occupied, and of course the learning curve can be steep in most of the models. The cockpits are not that well organised, sometimes I have a feeling that Boeing is using the random function to place buttons and switches around the cockpit. :lol: Also various switches are not in the standardised position in all Boeing models, like in the Airbus. I want my landing lights switches in one standardised position (eg lower overhead) in all Boeing models! Cockpit visibility is not that good, I can't set my POV in 757 to see the runway and both displays in the same time. If I want that, I must rotate a bit down the POV to see both displays but then the front window will be practically in upper part of the screen, makes it very hard to orientate on landings. The luck is that you must use only PFD on landings, but in cruise you will find yourself scrolling a lot, or switching views with EZDOK. In both cases you must move your POV up to see the runway and tilt the view down a bit to see PFD, again a bit tilted view, not good. Horizon line is way up in the veiw. Best solution is to create two cameras in EZDOK, one is front window view (not tilted, and without PFD), and one tilted with a PFD. Just assign a button to tilted view and switch alot during landing. :rolleyes:

In FSX you have by far better choices for a quality and complex models. Just PMDG covers two (MD-11 is the third, Boeing like) and they are superior! I started to learn NGX few days ago, and the feeling flying it is amazing, it is rewarding by a mile. From yesterday I started to learn QW 757, and after few attempts I already had one very smoooth landing (about 100ft/m), and the feeling is better than landing the Airbus, as I said REWARDING. B)

I must catch AP management also, but I presume it will not be a pain, I intersected the localizer with ease, switched to APP after that, easy.

You can find very good freeware Boeing models (Project Opensky, SkySpirit2012, etc), and I must mention FSND upgraded cockpits for default 737 and 747. I'm considering to fly FSND upgraded 747 these days, it's still simplified model. One lucky day I will buy PMDG 777 and I will be a lucky man.

So guys, welcome the newest Airbus to Boeing convert, me. :ph34r:

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Very good points.

I like to fly Boeing.  I'm not really a fan of FBW. 

I also like the cockpit layout in an airbus but I still prefer Boeing cockpits.  The displays, controls, etc have the right balance of new and old school which is a big plus.

It's also more rewarding for me when I do a good landing on a Boeing like the NGX or especially the MD-11.  The MD-11 is a little more automated but not to the extent of an Airbus.

Of course, these are all just my humble opinion.  I'm not knocking Airbus.  I think the A330-200 is the most beautiful "modern" plane flying today.

Sounds very biased.... Brace yourself for the war. 

Sounds very biased.... Brace yourself for the war. 

LOL, no war here, just post your opinion and that's it.

Very good points.

I like to fly Boeing.  I'm not really a fan of FBW. 

I also like the cockpit layout in an airbus but I still prefer Boeing cockpits.  The displays, controls, etc have the right balance of new and old school which is a big plus.

It's also more rewarding for me when I do a good landing on a Boeing like the NGX or especially the MD-11.  The MD-11 is a little more automated but not to the extent of an Airbus.

Of course, these are all just my humble opinion.  I'm not knocking Airbus.  I think the A330-200 is the most beautiful "modern" plane flying today.

Yes, Boeing has that old school feel which I really like. I forgot to add that Boing planes have a soul, which is pretty important for immersion. Flying Airbus plane is like driving F1 car (high tech, almost everything is automated), and flying Boeing planes is like driving an proper race car, eg old Corvette, old BMW M1, Ford Cortina, etc. It just rewarding!

And for me, most beautiful airliner today is A340-300/600, bloody amazing plane. I'm battling between 747 and A340 from time to time. I also find the looks of B757 as the most se*iest plane on earth. I really don't know why. :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Good analogy. 

For the A340, I like the 500 and 600 because they have the larger engines.  I still can't believe how long they are everytime I see them.  But I still like the 747 more.

Yeah, the 757 is a very sexy plane.  It's like the slim, shy, and pretty girl next door.  Just look at the cockpit windows.  It has a very feminine look.

Yep, it's kind like that. :)
I was surprised how tall 757 is, or better to say how tall gears are. When GPWS calls 10ft it feels like you are 30ft in A320, needs to get used to. It is also impossible to hit the tail on landings comparing to other planes.

They definitely do look tall from what I've seen.  I haven't flown any 757 yet.  Still waiting for the shop near me to get more.  Last time they were sold out.  I'm really looking forward to flying it.

There is also the Russian built TU-204 which was made to compete with the 757.  Looks quite similar and share the same engine.  I'd love to see a good one for FS9 or FSX. 

Yes, Boeing has that old school feel which I really like. I forgot to add that Boing planes have a soul, which is pretty important for immersion. Flying Airbus plane is like driving F1 car (high tech, almost everything is automated), and flying Boeing planes is like driving an proper race car, eg old Corvette, old BMW M1, Ford Cortina, etc. It just rewarding!

I like that analogy! I like them both, a lot. and it's funny because some days I'd prefer the Bus then others it's all about the Guppy. IDK what it is about those two airplanes that I love so much. I love the Bus's techy feel to it but absolutely cannot be without the 737's "soul". They are both very good airplanes that serve pretty much the same markets and do it very well :)

I really hope that I get to fly either one of them in my career.

Reik Namreg

I just remembered.  There is one Airbus that I enjoy as much as Boeing.  That's the A300.  I have the one from Sim Check.  It's the only Airbus with a yoke and a/p system very much like a Boeing.  It was the first wide body I ever flew on when I was a kid.

I enjoy them both equally.   They have enough contrasts and differences to make them equally enjoyable; both in the real world and in FSX.

PS... Can't honestly say I find any plane 'sexy' !! ......... but each to their own!

My next big project is going to be a DC-9. The exterior model is there, all it needs now is a VC. B)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Strange how the QW brought you over to Boeing. You should dive in to the PMDG 737NGX.

Doesn't seem too strange to me - the QW is a fantastic mid-range simulation - lite on frames, seemingly decent FDE, some systems depth with an FMS, visually appealing exterior, reasonalbly decent VC - it got me into tube-flying as well - I recently added the Q400 and would love to go with the PMDG NGX, but I am sure my current box won't run it well enough, as it will the QW/Q400....

Strange how the QW brought you over to Boeing. You should dive in to the PMDG 737NGX.

I already pointed that I'm learning 737NGX and QW 757 in the same time. But I'm leaning more towards QW because it ise good for Boeing beginner, it's not that complex.

DC-3.  First flight over 80 years ago, still serving in parts of the world, still hauling cargo/pax loads to airstrips that no other plane can match to this day.  To top that all off, she still looks great doing it.  In the form of the BT-67, the old Gooney Bird will continue to serve even longer.  I can only hope that A2A and PMDG would collaborate on a DC-3/C-47 project.  Such a legendary airplane deserves that treatment.

I find the modern tubeliners pretty generic looking.  That doesn't mean they are ugly, indeed there is a real gracefulness in watching something like a 747 or A330 takeoff.  

The only 'tube with seats in it' of the 'modern' era that I found to be truly unique and beautiful was the Beechcraft Starship.  If only Boeing had committed to the Sonic Cruiser they would have had something just as unique.   Perhaps the Sonic Cruiser would have had the same fate as the Starship when compared to their better selling generic counterparts. 

Vintage jet tubes like the Carevelle, VC-10, DC-8, DC-9, 727 were nice looking tho I think Concorde will always hold that beauty queen crown, or perhaps sharing it with the Connie :)

Cheers

TJ