Sign in to follow this  
jasoncardeira

Never heard callout "approaching minimums" and "minimums"

I never heard this 2 callouts on landing, and they are selected on FMC. all other callouts work well. Anyone realized this ?

Just to be sure.... when setting 300ft on the Barometric, you're landing in a place with an elevation lower than 300ft, right?

Just to be sure.... when setting 300ft on the Barometric, you're landing in a place with an elevation lower than 300ft, right?

Guess this is the point. Since i use the BARO i only made 2 landings. Monday i made a landing at La aurora (guatemala). Airport elevation is 4951ft. Yesterday i made a landing at zurich - Airport elevation is 1417ft. The 300ref i thought is was used up to airport terrain elevation. Example (zurich - 1417ft - baro - 300ft - callout at 1717ft). So looks that i'm wrong. So if i land in guatemala i have to put 5300ft on BARO ?

That's what the Barometric is for, yes.

The Barometric uses the same altitude indication you see on your PFD, to the right of the artificial horizon.

The Radio uses, as the name suggests, the Radio Altimeter, and is basing it's altitude callout on height above terrain.

That would work, yes. However, legally, the decision between BARO and RADIO would depend on the type of approach you're flying.

I'm not 100% sure about the details, but If I remember it correctly, it has to dow with ILS categories.

However, legally, the decision between BARO and RADIO would depend on the type of approach you're flying.

Ehhhhhhhh...as far as I know, there is no legal requirement to use one or the other.  It's only implied in how the chart presents the data.

I'm not 100% sure about the details, but If I remember it correctly, it has to dow with ILS categories.

The gist of it is if the chart shows RA ("radio altitude"), you use RADIO; otherwise, BARO.

Again, not a legal requirement; rather, an implication on the chart to use radio over baro for increased (and verified given surrounding terrain - this is the important part - the RA has been verified as accurate given the surrounding terrain) precision.

Disclaimer before all of the non-FAA people come in here and jump on my case:

The above is written based on knowledge of, and speaking to, the FAA environment.  It is not meant to imply knowledge of, or rules of, any agency outside of that environment.

Kyle Rodgers

I had this problem as well when I was flying as FO and did not set the Captains side Baro minimums.

It seems those callouts are only triggered by the Capt side.

Rob Robson

Kyle: "Legal" was indeed a wrong choice of words on my part... "Procedurally" would have been better.

Rob (?): Indeed, the FO's selector does not influence the callouts during normal operations.