Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

Latest Beta & PMDG 777

Hello all, I have been having some real problems with the latest Beta and the PMDG T7. When I purchased this a/c, I was using v3.31.4 (think I've got that right) all settings at default, other than the DHM settings that obviously have to be lower for this size of plane. Everything was acting what seemed normal to me and the T7 flew like a dream.

I then installed the latest Beta version of Opus and everything changed. I had everything set to the defaults and DHM exactly as before, so I was flying with basically a identical set-up, but the T7 did not like it one bit. Whenever I went into a heading change, the T7 would just jerk it's way through the turn. While this was going on, I was noticing some pretty aggressive wind shifts.

Anyhow, after trying every setting I could think of and many test flights and then back to default, I had absolutely no luck, so I uninstalled the latest Beta and rolled back to my old v3.31.4, and all settings as before, I am back to normal.

As a heads up, I spoke to PMDG and they did inform me that the A/P is very accurately modelled and any unnatural wind shift conditions (non real world) could create some abnormal flight characteristics.

Is there a different way I should be setting up the latest Beta compared to the version I have installed?

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

We have many people using the latest beta (hundreds) with the T7 with no reported problems, including using many preferred beta and release versions after 3.31.4. In fact you should upgrade to later versions to make use of the improved T7 wx file generation etc..

Firstly when flying the T7 you should have FSUIPC4 installed to allow the LWE to revert to normal time to perform weather updates. It automatically restores the previous accelerated sim time afterward, but it can't do that without FSUIPC4.

Most importantly though, after every upgrade you must recheck your Configure and all Weather dialogs. My guess is your weather settings needed changing after the upgrade. Best check the Configure dialog entries very carefully then set Defaults in ALL Weather related dialogs. Then do the usual, specifying your Destination and Max Cruise Altitude before flight. I would guess you did not have Sim Friendly GRIB option enabled.

I stress again we have hundreds of users all using the latest beta with their T7s and all flying with no problems. Most users upgraded from the latest release or series of betas. The latest betas have mostly added support for the LCC interface and use of game controllers, nothing much has changed regarding the LWE except to minimise further wind shifts with use of the Sim Friendly GRIB option.

So I would advise you double check to make sure you are following the Recommended Practices for the LWE, make sure you have set all defaults etc. after the upgrade, double check to make sure no other source of weather is being injected, and use the on screen reports to monitor your weather and ambient conditions.

We have had nothing but favourable comments regarding the T7 and OpusFSX use up to now, and as I mentioned with many many hundreds of people using the latest beta and release with this very same aircraft. Just make sure you have that Sim Friendly GRIB option set and specify a cruise altitude greater than 6000 feet with Adjust Options Automatically set.

You should also make sure the default weather update frequency and time period are set so that you are not letting FSX wander away from its targeted winds and temps.

Stephen

Our general advise to people, especially T7 flyers, is to use the latest release or beta version. There have been many improvements to the WX file generation since 3.31.4, all have been tested with many thousands of OpusFSX users, hundreds of which are all using the latest 777 aircraft. They had to to test some of the new WX weather file changes !

All these users reported no problems with the series of betas, including no reports from all the 777 flyers.

Just make sure you follow the recommendations and double check your Configure and set all defaults in those Weather dialogs. Then just follow the recommended practices described in our Using The Live Weather Engine SimForums topic and all should be fine.

There are previous release and beta versions available on our website should there prove to be something wrong with an individual build. But I stress with nearly three thousand beta testers and hundreds of 777 users we are not aware of any problems other than those we have reported, and a few of those beta updates were specific to the 777.

We are back off our holidays on the 9th when the latest beta dev phase will continue, mainly aimed at adding the ButtKicker support amongst other things.

Stephen :-)

One final comment regarding DHM and Bump Aircraft. We once again recommend default settings and of course with the Heavy Aircraft option enabled, for aircraft larger than 737s you can of course reduce the sliders a notch or two. We have had many favourable comments regarding the DHM realism from many experienced airline pilots and captains. One experienced Airbus pilot is also assisting with the new Additional Site Effects.

So our advice, as always, is to set all defaults and if you feel the need tweak the sliders down a notch for the real heavy stuff.

Regards

Stephen

Bump Aircraft 3DOF Option ...

If your aircraft finds it difficult to cope with the full 3DOF Bump Aircraft turbulence, especially in turns, then please remember to disable the 3DOF option in the DHM dialog.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I am not particularly saying there is something wrong with Opus or the latest Beta version, I am merely telling you and anybody else who is willing to help with a solution, that I have a problem that could well be a user error, so help me out here.

My post was to explain what is happening and what I have done to try to solve the problem on my own.

When it comes to complex weather systems, I am not the brightest, so I am open to any expert help I can get. I just thought that if I mirrored the settings I had before in DHM plus default in the weather set- up I would be good to go.

Maybe somebody could post their configuration that is working for them on the T7?

I have not been sitting here doing nothing and complaining, I have been trying to solve the problem ( for many hours) on my own and failed, so here I am, asking for help. As I said, I don't claim to be smart in the area of weather engines, so what should my settings be outside of default to get what apparently everybody else is getting? Because if I am the only one, then it should not be hard for somebody who knows what they are doing, to tell me what it is.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

That's OK, as far as DHM is concerned I would try disabling the new 3DOF Bump Aircraft option. This can have the effect you saw in turning when it is used on some systems and some aircraft. Many times there isn't a pattern to this so its just a case of tweaking the option on your system. Turning the DHM down a notch is fine for aircraft heavier than the 737, that can be user preference, but I would recommend one notch lower than default.

As far as wind shifts are concerned, the latest betas have introduced two methods of new anti wind shift measures, these have had very favourable feedback. The measures only work with the Sim Friendly GRIB option so this must be enabled. Of course nothing can rule out shifts completely since nobody can correct the bugs in the FSX code, but the new measures do rule out two known causes now applied during the climb, cruise, and descent phases.

My guess is your settings after upgrade resulted in either no GRIB data being used or no Sim Friendly GRIB option being set.

Best double check your Configure and all Weather dialogs after each upgrade, setting all weather defaults again just in case. Other causes of wind shift would be,

Whenever the LWE is prevented from refreshing or updating the weather regularly as usual, so its important to use the default update frequency and time period.

When the LWE is stopped in mid flight and restarted some time later.

You do not have FSUIPC4 installed and you have been updating the weather with the sim running in accelerated time (almost guaranteed to cause problems). This is most relevant to the 777 aircraft.

When the weather options are changed mid flight, when no GRIB data is available, or the Sim Friendly GRIB option is not used. FSX can rarely handle raw GRIB wind and temp gradients.

When another source of weather is injected such as another weather engine, or the FSX RW Weather option, or when using FSInn and forgetting to disable the weather option.

The best practice is to follow the Recommended Practices and use the various Opus on screen weather reports, I usually monitor the Local or Destination weather report during flight and check the Lower and Upper before flight. That way you can monitor how well the sim is doing at meeting its wind and temp targets noting that FSX can be looking ahead a little. The other weather report files and weather maps can be checked to get an idea of what weather you will be expecting. You will soon know if something is wrong or any part of the weather (e.g. GRIB) is missing.

I think that just about covers it. We will be back on the 9th so no doubt we will post new betas and releases and soon have you up and running again Rick.

Regards

Stephen

Does this wind shift problem affect only certain computers? I had it happen to me twice and the last time was late August. I don't use any wind stabilizers at all. Recently flew from EDDF to CYYZ and had no problems. The only odd thing is the time accel. Opus doesn't seem to like it maybe because the plane gets to the end of the map too fast so once you drop out of "warp" the weather updates into a different scene.

I should point out that a fairly recent version allowed weather updates and refreshes in accelerated time. In such circumstances the LWE first reverts back to the normal (x1) sim rate, then updates or refreshes the weather, then restores the previous accelerated sim rate.

However, to do this it needs FSUIPC4 to be installed. It uses FSUIPC4 to change the sim rate.

Note, it is not possible to update or refresh the weather in accelerated time since FSX is not capable of storing the weather accurately under these circumstances. So the sim rate has to be controllable if you intend using accelerated sim rates.

Its fine to use accelerated sim rates with the latest release or beta provided you have FSUIPC4 installed. But it is also very important to use the default weather update frequency and distance (30 minutes and/or 160km). If you do then all will be well and the anti wind shift measures should work a treat.

Wind shifts do affect some systems more than others. Using all defaults and following the Recommended Practices we never experience problems on our in-house systems including a laptop, nor do thousands of others, but they can affect some systems. Obviously you can ignore any minor shifts, the only problematic ones are those that cause the aircraft problems. Also ignore all reports when using monitoring packages, they rarely take into account the fleeting and transient shifts that always occurs within FSX, even when you are not noticing any. When you have some pieces of code that calculate 2+2=5 then there will always be fleeting errors.

But we always recommend the Sim Friendly GRIB data option. This detects certain known problematic wind and temp gradients both vertically and laterally, and prevents them. At the same time the wind and temp at your specified cruise altitude in unaffected and always adheres to the GRIB forecast. So it is always best and recommended to set the Sim Friendly GRIB data option.

I shall re install the latest Beta and try your suggestions Stephen.

Thanks,

Edit: I do have a registered version of FSUIPC installed.

Rick Hobbs

The previous beta is also available, and as I said we will be back on the 9th so no doubt there will be another beta posted soon after.

Just make sure you have that Sim Friendly GRIB option set and specify a cruise altitude greater than 6000 feet with Adjust Options Automatically set.

Do I have to set my actual intended cruise alt every flight, or can I just leave a default number above 6,000 ft in that box and leave it there for all of my flights? My flying always involves cruise alts above that number.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Best to set a realistic cruise altitude because the Sim Friendly adjustments will use this as a reference when it is at or above FL200, otherwise it will use the forecasted Tropopause height as a reference. The reference always has correct, unadjusted, GRIB forecasted winds and temps, all other altitudes may be adjusted about this reference to ensure sim friendliness. You must have the Sim Friendly GRIB option enabled to prevent sim unfriendly wind and temp gradients being injected causing FSX problems. The latest release and beta also needs this option to enable the new vertical and lateral anti wind shift measures.

Don't forget to disable your 3DOF Bump Aircraft options as well to prevent any of those jittery turns, or you could try both enabled and disabled to confirm it is a problem

Seem to have fixed my problem. Biggest troublemaker for me was 3DOF. I have that box unchecked and my turns are smooth.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs