Sign in to follow this  
cenkcnk

Taxiyiing on the water

Hello, i have aerosoft twotter. My question is, how can i direct my plane on the water? it is very hard to use one engine for reverse and other for forward to turn right  or left. is it possible to make minor movements on water? 

And is there any way to slow the plane down and stop except decreasing/iddleing the throttle?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Instead of reverse pitch on one and fine pitch on the other, try dropping thrust on one, increasing thrust on the other, and use the rudder to turn. It appears that the Aerosoft version with Floats has no water rudders, which would help with the turns.

Bringing the Twotter to a stop on water is where you're using reverse pitch. You have to judge how far from the dock you are, and use thrust (forward or reverse) to slow and steer the airplane until you're lined up with the dock.

Trial and error is the best way, in this instance.

Aliens_borg_assimilation_faces_zps5460df

Just to add to what Viper said,

The DHC-6 never had water rudders. IRL taxiing is much easier as the pilots are able to control the props very finely in beta, eliminating the need for the rudders.

In FSX, this isn't so good. It appears that using forward thrust, the rudder "magically" turns the plane quite nicely under ~22kts ground speed. Over that the rudder loses effectiveness quite quickly. 

*When I say "magically" I just assume it turns more than it would in real life if you were to apply full deflection rudder. That being said, it would turn as you are directing the thrust in the inboard engine to the turn to help swing her around. I've never flown nor been in a Twotter especially on floats, so I have no idea who exaggerated it is.

Just to add to what Viper said,

The DHC-6 never had water rudders. IRL taxiing is much easier as the pilots are able to control the props very finely in beta, eliminating the need for the rudders.

In FSX, this isn't so good. It appears that using forward thrust, the rudder "magically" turns the plane quite nicely under ~22kts ground speed. Over that the rudder loses effectiveness quite quickly. 

*When I say "magically" I just assume it turns more than it would in real life if you were to apply full deflection rudder. That being said, it would turn as you are directing the thrust in the inboard engine to the turn to help swing her around. I've never flown nor been in a Twotter especially on floats, so I have no idea who exaggerated it is.

Which also explains why Sea Twotter pilots never owe dockhands any beer for leaving their water rudders down when docking!

Lucky devils...

Borg_zps5faa8d8e.png

Which I had Beta. All I have is on off and good judgement, then again, I'm talking real world. I must load up on of the float planes on FSX tomorrow just to see how real it is.