Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

Forum courtesy?

Is it just me, or do a lot of people fail to see opportunities to say thanks on the forums now, where someone has clearly taken some time to explain something in detail, or to try to help someone.

I'm not talking just from the perspective of my own posts, I see many posts where a user has really gone the extra mile explaining something or helping someone, and it's so often followed by a reply like "Ok, I'll try that", or not acknowledged at all;  the person being helped just moved on to something else without offering any gesture of thanks.

I've seen people point this out before, and they've actually been bashed for even suggesting it.   But it makes no sense to me;  why people don't spend a fraction of a second offering the word 'thanks' around here more often.

It seems like it's perhaps part of the culture of 'expectation' that it could be argued exists these days.   People demand and expect a lot, rather than politely asking and then thanking for.

Oh I don't believe it's an age thing either BTW... this isn't a 'bash those pesky young folks' post - often quite the opposite.    It just seems that some people feel no need or inclination to say 'thanks' where they've been helped or supported in some way.

I agree, saying thank you is pretty basic courtesy and the extra second required is not worth talking about.

Sascha

Its always polite to acknowledge some ones help and it encourages the cycle of altruism; certainly makes for friendly and appreciative forum members

Thanks for changing your avatar (again), Dave. What? :huh:

Not sure if I'm heading in the same direction as you guys, but I'd only complain if there's a lack of feedback like if a suggestion worked or not. Abandoned threads with unsolved problems, I don't like that.

As for thanking. Mmm, they all do that with the buttons or posting +1 these days. Makes me think.. people adjusting to systems. Should be the other way around, no?

Dave,

I agree that a bit more appreciation would be no bad thing. There's a vote option which I use to show appreciation for a good bit of advice but it shouldn't replace written thanks.

What would be useful would be to see who had voted for a message. It just shows a counter at present but including users names would be handy.

There is one thing I do find frustrating. People who don't show their location. Even a continent would be helpful especially when asking for advice about purchasing hardware. How can you direct people to suitable retailers if you don't know where they are? But Cheshire and NW England are very useful to me as it opens up the possibility of new acquaintances. :smile: .

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Is it just me, or do a lot of people fail to see opportunities to say thanks on the forums now, where someone has clearly taken some time to explain something in detail, or to try to help someone.

I'm not talking just from the perspective of my own posts, I see many posts where a user has really gone the extra mile explaining something or helping someone, and it's so often followed by a reply like "Ok, I'll try that", or not acknowledged at all;  the person being helped just moved on to something else without offering any gesture of thanks.

I've seen people point this out before, and they've actually been bashed for even suggesting it.   But it makes no sense to me;  why people don't spend a fraction of a second offering the word 'thanks' around here more often.

It seems like it's perhaps part of the culture of 'expectation' that it could be argued exists these days.   People demand and expect a lot, rather than politely asking and then thanking for.

Oh I don't believe it's an age thing either BTW... this isn't a 'bash those pesky young folks' post - often quite the opposite.    It just seems that some people feel no need or inclination to say 'thanks' where they've been helped or supported in some way.

Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for highlighting the issue!

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

Dave,

I agree that a bit more appreciation would be no bad thing. There's a vote option which I use to show appreciation for a good bit of advice but it shouldn't replace written thanks.

What would be useful would be to see who had voted for a message. It just shows a counter at present but including users names would be handy.

There is one thing I do find frustrating. People who don't show their location. Even a continent would be helpful especially when asking for advice about purchasing hardware. How can you direct people to suitable retailers if you don't know where they are? But Cheshire and NW England are very useful to me as it opens up the possibility of new acquaintances. :smile: .

That's a really good point about location Ray.     Knowing people's location would help to see some cultural context, as I know that some cultures don't tend to say thank you in the same context as others.

But then again, it's still just a word, which like DaveGi said, helps to promote 'onward help and co-operation', so is culture really a reason for not bother to say 'thanks' ..... I'm not so sure.

PS. A Gracias, Danke, Merci, or شكرا is just as welcome!

Dave,

Even if their first language is not English they have to have a decent understanding to post so I agree that thanks should always be expressed when people have been helped.

I notice on your profile you have accrued loads of points so clearly many people find your posts helpful. :Applause:

Well done that man as Foggy might say! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Please bring back Dexter, Dave.  Or better yet maybe a cool MD-11 avatar for ya would be nice :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Chris Sunseri

Thanks for starting this discussion, Dave!

I honestly do not really care if people don't say Thank you, Dankeschön, Merci, Gracias, Большое Спасибо, Mille Grazie, or whatever else.I am afraid sometimes it slips my mind to say thanks here on the forums myself every now and then, so I'd like to say I'm sorry to everyone whom I should have thanked.

What I would appreciate, though, is if people don't even report back if an advice worked or not, especially if there were various thoughts on how to solve an issue - it just might be helpful for others to know what in particular did the trick - and if you ask a question in order help your understanding of the problem, and you get an angry reply stating nothing new instead. Oh yeah, and people who return to simply say "It's all OK now, it works" might want to consider adding the word "thanks" to such replies.

On a second thought, maybe the "Best Answer" button should be promoted - I could very well adapt to that as the "new Thank you " on the forums.

There is one thing I do find frustrating. People who don't show their location. Even a continent would be helpful especially when asking for advice about purchasing hardware.

I agree Ray. I find it interesting and helpful to know generally where people are coming from. If you look at my profile you will find that I have put a lot more detail in than most people. I really do want members to get an idea of who I am and where I am coming from when I ask for advice or make a comment.

I also try to follow-up on every bit of advice I receive to let the contributing member know what results I got as a result of their suggestion or advice.

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I can only hope some of the "non thankfull" participants are sending a personal Thank you through the PM system we have here at Avsim. We just dont see it on the main forum. Then again....I'm the king of wishfull thinking.

Dave,

Even if their first language is not English they have to have a decent understanding to post so I agree that thanks should always be expressed when people have been helped.

I notice on your profile you have accrued loads of points so clearly many people find your posts helpful. :Applause:

Well done that man as Foggy might say! :biggrin:

Thank you Ray, but the truth is that as much as someone may share like-mindedness with some users, maybe even a relatively large group, and get some nice recogintion, there are others that will hate you;  such is currently the case with users like KingGhidorah and Cloudswinner who would gladly see me slip off the edge of a large chasm.   :lol:   ... and although I might not like it, his position is as valid as that of my buddies around here like Chris (pinlifter), Julian, Olli and co.  

We're all essentially like 'marmite' ; we appeal or we revolt, or something in between.   I'd guess that I have a high '+1' count because I post a lot, and because there's no '-1' function here any more (thankfully!). :lol:

But getting back to your core point - yes in any language and in any culture, a 'thanks' is a 'thanks'.

I agree Ray. I find it interesting and helpful to know generally where people are coming from. If you look at my profile you will find that I have put a lot more detail in than most people. I really do want members to get an idea of who I am and where I am coming from when I ask for advice or make a comment.

Bob, it would be useful if Location was mandatory but no doubt some would just put anything in to get around it. So that wouldn't work. I could understand 20 years ago when very few people had computers and you didn't want to advertise the fact you did. But you'd be hard pressed to find any household in the UK that didn't have some form of computer. So why the big deal about not disclosing where members reside?

You're a good sailor - obviously - and are lucky like me that retirement allows you to enjoy flying far more. I also find a photo helps to give you an idea of the person you're responding to. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Excellent points, Dave.  I agree. 

Another thing I find pretty weird is how many threads I see where good topics have a one star rating.  Sometimes it's just a thread by somebody asking a simple question.  Scroll to the very top and there's the one star rating.  It doesn't bother me, but just goes to show there's a lot of negativity out there. 

You brought up excellent points.  I just gave your thread a 5 star rating :smile: .