Sign in to follow this  
ysfsim

Fog layer cloud type

I was curious to know what stratus layer is used to cap off the fog layers. I know it was said that from above, you can see through the fog, but I still can't wrap my head around that. I want to have an overcast layer topping off my fog. Better yet can you use one of the cirrus textures instead? Where was a certain freeware weather engine that did this and the effect was acceptable to me.

Thoughts?

You are expecting FSX to do what it simply cannot. There are so many reasons why FSX cannot do what you ask it and why cirrus cloud cannot be used in that manner, and why a thick overcast cannot be used instead of a thin layer of overcast stratus. Its all to do with how FSX renders cloud textures, cannot render thin overcast too well, they way it has always assumed cloud is far too transparent when looking down through it especially at night, the way its never handled Overcasts very well no matter what cloud type, the way it used to use a cirrus alpha mask to depict fog which unfortunately prevented it working in so many other respects.

The best option I'm afraid is to use a thin layer of stratus on top of fog or mist patches, overcast for fog and broken for misty areas. Other cloud types do not produce as good an effect.

Stephen

Fair enough. It is really disappointing how Microsoft left us twisting in the breeze. :(