Hi all, at the moment I have an i5 quad core 750 2.67 ghz processor and am thinking towards an upgrade. I wish to know what the next progressive step for a processor would be to run P3D 2.0 as it looks to be less CPU needy and moving towards GPU doing a lot more of the work, which brings me to my next question, would I be better saving for a new GPU instead and sticking with my current CPU?. I have a 550 gtx ti and run P3D quite smoothly, but would love to add some better weather and reduce blurries at high speed down on the deck flying.

and, would it be better to go for a higher clock duel core or a lower clock quad?

Finally, after looking through all the forums on the subject, there just does not seem to be a straight answer to this other than being directed to another thread that makes no sence, I have P3D on an academic licence, will it cost me to upgrade to version 2.

many thanks, Gingerterry

Your CPU isn't very good. You are gonna need a new CPU and GPU in my opinion.

I'd say the same even if you were using FSX.

Yes, version 2 is a new product and you have to pay for it. Same as FS9 to FSX.

Thanks Bonchie, what is a mid range CPU and GPU then?

Buy used if price is an issue and try to get the best you can. I've gotten plenty of parts off of ebay. 

I think you need to at least be looking for a 770 or higher for a GPU because P3D will make heavy use of it. CPU's, maybe find an ivy bridge and OC it if you can't afford a Haswell. 

Its a bit of a minefield I remember from when I last built this rig about 3 years ago. Is it better to go for the highest clock speed you can get, I mean, is an i5 with a 3.4ghz clock, better than an i7 with a 3ghz clock say?

thanks,

Hey Gingerterry,

Go for the best Processor You can afford - Preferably Pentium - and Allways go for the fastest in its class - definatly aver 3.0 ghz !

When I upgraded my Box - the biggest jump in frame rate - was going from a 2.6 ghz Chip to a 3.5 ghz Chip !

Good Luck !

Johnman

I'm sort of in the same boat myself so this is what I'm going do. Save first then wait until v2 is released, test it in my current system and then based on actual results I will make a decision.

We don't know what v2 is going to bring to the table, in my personal point of view everything that has been talked about in here and other forums is pure speculation. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Hey Gingerterry,

Go for the best Processor You can afford - Preferably Pentium - and Allways go for the fastest in its class - definatly aver 3.0 ghz !

When I upgraded my Box - the biggest jump in frame rate - was going from a 2.6 ghz Chip to a 3.5 ghz Chip !

Good Luck !

Johnman

Fastest doesn't necessarily mean better, there is another piece of info that most people don't pay attention to, and that is the L3 Cache. When looking for a processor upgrade, I always go with a combination of the highest cache combined with clock speed that I can afford. The more cache the better performance, of course this also affects price.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Simmerhead: I think your linked information is not true for P3D 2.0:

I would suggest to proceed as mentioned by Carlos. Wait and see what comes along.

We know that 2.0 is much more GPU dependent but we con't know it needs more GB or higher computation skills. So it might be better to have a 770 with 4 GB than a 780 with only 3 GB of RAM.

We don't know what it needs as a CPU.

And we don't know how the roadmap for the GPU looks like: When does SLI come and how does it support 2.0? Maybe it is a reasonable way to start with a 670/680 now and buy a second one once SLI is active, maybe not!

I for myself hold myself back for the moment to wait and see what comes up to us. Things may be clearer in a couple of days. And most likely prices will drop in the meantime... ^_^

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Save first then wait until v2 is released, test it in my current system and then based on actual results I will make a decision.

Wise advice. Last summer I could/would have bought a new system but I decided to wait for P3D. Since flightsimming is the ONLY thing I do on my PC (besides things that could also be done on a cheap laptop) I decided it wouldn't be wise to upgrade with FSX in mind, which would be rather useless anyhow. I will defenitely wait for P3D, see how it performs on my PC and then decided what to do: upgrade some parts or get a completely new PC (using information from other users).

P.S. I certainly would NOT read NickN's bible. Certainly not for P3D but also not for FSX. I think it's er... well, not exactly something I would advice to anyone.

The point that Nick Needham makes, and which still will hold true when P3D v2 comes along: Get the best CPU and GPU you can get! There is no cheap way to get a top notch simulator rig. FSX, P3D, and P3D v2, will swallow every MHz you can throw at it if you intend to install complex aircraft, scenery, traffic and weather addons. The only question still in the open is if a SLI setup is in order, but you can always go SLI when P3D v2 comes by adding a second, third or fourth video card. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Get the best CPU and GPU you can get!

LOL I don't need NickN's bible to figure that one out! ^_^ It might well be that he is making that point but he managed to completey burry it in a lot of text that has you doing a lot of very unnecessary and useless things, which is why I never point people to his bible... But anyway, if the point you were trying to make is 'Get the best CPU and GPU you can get!' then of course I fully agree with that! ^_^

Hey All,

You Never Know until You kickerin theguts and therein lies the secret of Havvin Fun with this Hobby !!

P3d Rocks !! :lol: :lol:

Johnman

LOL I don't need NickN's bible to figure that one out! ^_^ It might well be that he is making that point but he managed to completey burry it in a lot of text that has you doing a lot of very unnecessary and useless things, which is why I never point people to his bible... But anyway, if the point you were trying to make is 'Get the best CPU and GPU you can get!' then of course I fully agree with that! ^_^

He he. Yep, there's a lot of words in there. :)

But, I still think the guide holds merit. If you are cluless his guide is a good starting point for getting it all in one place. If you are to enjoy the full potential of FSX/P3D you will need to understand a few basic things about computers, Windows and the sim's engine. If people took the time there would be a lot less quesions asked and more time to fly as a result. Asking in forums will give you all kinds of answers from all kinds of people. Unless you dig into the problem yourself you will have a hard time separating good advice from bad advice, and there is plenty of the latter.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!