Sign in to follow this  
gypsymoth

Can I add a hill to my scenery ?

I've made a WW2 airfield that has a 100ft or so hill near it with the Battle HQ on top.
The trouble is flight sim has a flat area there. Can, & how do, I make a hill there?

I have the vertex at 21 but the area is still flat.

Thanks.

It would be a mesh file and then the entire airport would be on a plateau.

You can use SBuilder to make a nice little hill.

With this you would create a flatten polygon. Ideally you would make a series of triangles as this is more reliable and predictable. You can individually set the height of each point in the triangle so if one point is higher than the other two you get a nice up slope. Make a series of this in a circle with all their high points in the centre and you have a nice cone shape. With a bit of trial and error you can end up with nice little hill which can be more accurate than using mesh files.

Have a look at airport design editor (ADE) as well as I believe that allows you to create flatten polygons although I'm not sure you can set the individual height of the points with ADE

EDIT: Just realised this is in FS9 forum (came to this post through the top of the page link) so the ADE stuff may not apply for FS9 (works for FSX though)

www.antsairplanes.com

Thanks anthony31.....that's brilliant. I use both to make my airfields so will investigate the possibilities.

Terry.

Hi anothony31,

Nothing is showing so I'm obviously doing the wrong thing.

I've made a rectangular LMW land mask with 4 points at 0 & one at 45.  The resulting .bgl doesn't show.  I was hoping to make & group others together to form a hill.

I've had a look at the instructions which I don't understand so I'm back for advice if you read this!

Have a look at this thread on fsdeveloper.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88348

Like I said it's been years since I've used FS9 and SBuilder so I no longer have the tools on my PC to check and I can't really remember the exact steps. Although I did do a couple of airports with runways on a hill (ie Lindeman Island) I can't remember if I used a sloping polygon or just relied on the mesh.

It's important to follow the advice about clicking on "change" in the link above.

when you generate a LWM mask you need to press "Change" in the altitude box in order to set the altitude. "OK" is not sufficient.

www.antsairplanes.com

Hi anothony31,

I've made a rectangular LMW land mask with 4 points at 0 & one at 45.  The resulting .bgl doesn't show.  I was hoping to make & group others together to form a hill.

I've had a look at the instructions which I don't understand so I'm back for advice if you read this!

Did you put your new bgl. file in the corrrect scenery directory and did you "activate" it?

Hi anothony31,

you need no LWM but a VTP (vectored textured polygon). Then edit the points altitude. Begin with a triangle, to get one sloped polygon...

I can't get that to work.

I have managed to get an acceptable hill with a LWM file however after 3 days!