Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

Live Weather Update Problem - SOLVED

Firstly,I must state that this OPUS weather engine is brilliant and I have experienced no major issues until the past couple of days.

When I click on the weather reports and it states for example' Local Area Weather report'-scattered cloud at 1400 feet and scattered at 3000 feet when looking down there are no low lying clouds at all and therefore differs with the weather report.

I am currently flying from Gatwick to Iceland and passing over Scotland where in the real world there is currently a large amount of rainfall occurring and yet apart from the upper atmosphere clouds there is clear visibility of the ground with no clouds below apparent.

I have version 3.34.1 installed and reinstalled it today but I still am experiencing the same issue.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Michael

Michael Broom

Hi Michael

The Local report identifies the actual weather injected into the sim within the 10x10 mile cell (the finest weather resolution inside FSX) North West of the nearest injection point to your current location. So if you look in the general NW direction you should see that weather, or a block of weather matching the listed conditions. Remember FSX will bleed weather across cell boundaries, it has to in order to make it look realistic. So if you look north west you should see a patch of weather matching the description in the report. The size of the patch will depend on the surrounding conditions.

You may find the Lower Cloud Cover weather map helpful as well, but remember about the FSX cloud bleeding, cloud boundaries in FSX can be extended or receded.

Hope that helps.

Stephen :-)

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I think there is some issue here that I am not getting to grips with.

I have just landed at Reykavic  where the local weather stated Broken at 8000 and few at 1100 feet.

On the approach I had to keep clicking on 'Update Dynamic weather' to get any clouds and on the approach at 1100 feet there were no clouds at all.

Up until 2 days ago the weather just injected itself and there was no issues at all and I have never had to click 'Update Dynamic Weather' before.

I am still unclear as to why I am suddenly experiencing this problem when prior to yesterday everything was just brilliant.

Further observations/comments would be appreciated.

Michael

Michael Broom

First, please check your Configure dialog and make sure everything is as it should be including the location of FSX. Then do the same for each of the weather dialogs, setting all defaults in all the weather dialogs. Do you have the Import option ticked by any chance, or what weather server did you have selected, what update frequency etc.. Your weather dialogs may have become corrupted.

The weather updates are disabled on final approach for good reasons but the weather should be perfect long before that.

Try opening the Spy window before forcing a weather update, what does it report. Is there a problem injecting the weather. You could check to see that the OpusWeather.WTB file is being generated and copied into your FSX\Weather\themes folder.

Double check to make sure you have no other source of weather enabled, no other weather engine active, no FSX RW weather settings on, if using FSInn make sure the weather option is disabled.

Let me know what the Spy window says during a weather update and what your settings were. You can email me the info if you wish and I will check it over and report back. Email is easiest because I get those no matter where I am.

We will soon have you back up and running.

Don't forget to check that Import option if that's on then you may not be getting any weather at all.

Further thoughts ...

Can you confirm you are using the Opus Local and Destination on screen weather reports and these are reporting the cloud layers.

Also have a look at the weather maps, the Lower Cloud Cover map will give you an idea what cloud coverage is being injected.

Check the Spy window during a weather update, are any failures or errors reported.

Does the Spy window show the GRIB data is checked, does it show the METARs are being downloaded, does it indicate the weather map data is being saved.

Are you using all defaults and always specifying your Destination and Max Cruise Altitude.

The FSXSERVER program does need access to the FSX\Weather\theme folder to copy the WTB file there, which it does before informing FSX to load it.

Always use the Default Theme Size, in fact all defaults.

Check the Shortcuts dialog and make sure all is as it should be. Ensure you are not inadvertently toggling the weather updates off via some key or button assignment.

Always use the Opus weather data and downloaded METARs to confirm the weather and not some other web service which may not have the same METARs. The prime weather server for Opus is the international NOAA ADDS service.

Stephen

We are out of time sync. But if you email me all your info I will check it over for you, in the mean time you can check the Spy messages, check the OpusWeather.WTB file is being copied into FSX OK, check your dialog settings, Import option off etc..

Stephen

Make sure you are not using accelerated sim rates unless you have FSUIPC4 installed and of course you are using the latest release or beta version.

FSX cannot load weather correctly in accelerated time so the LWE must be able to control the sim rate via FSUIPC4 to revert to normal (x1) sim rate during the weather update.

Stephen

You could double check your sharing, permissions, and security for the FSX folders just in case they have changed and are now blocking the WTB file transfer, or do you have any anti virus or Firewall software running that is now blocking the FSXSERVER program.

You could use the Import option to check the weather injection and cloud bases (noting that they are in feet AGL) by creating an import file with a single GLOB METAR in, setting the Import option and identifying your import file, then updating the weather. Any cloud will be defined globally. You can then change the weather, save the file, and update again to see the results. Don't forget to disable the Import option when you are done though.

Dear Stephen,

Many thanks for your comprehensive replies,your after sales service is excellent.

Just to update you.

Today I have flown south from Birmingham where currently the weather is very cloudy etc.

I click on updating the weather and after a short pause the weather updates to cloudy skies with broken clouds at 400ft(Pseudo effect),broken at 600 ft and overcast at 1000 ft.I then commence the flight and sure enough the weather is accurate but then about 4000 feet I use the spot view  and all I can see is the cloudy weather below my plane in a sort of large circle area and away from this area there are no clouds in the distance at all-just fine clear skies.Therefore the weather is really just around my aircraft which is obviously not accurate.

I checked my Spy Window prior to updating and nothing in terms of errors showed up just giving my the cloud weather info.

My OPUS file is on my C Drive folder where it has always been.

I have the NOAA weather server ticked and the Vatsim ticked for missing data.

I have checked my configuration and everything there seems OK

I have checked with SPY again and that shows Metar info and various cloud layer info too also shows dynamic weather updated etc.,although it does not mention about any GRIB data.

I apologise as I am not that 'techy' but I hope that this info make sense.

I am not sure what you mean in respect of the import option as the only import option that I can see is the Metar File Import and that is not ticked.

Certainly,the weather that I am receiving is not right and I would appreciate further assistance.

Michael

Michael Broom

Have you checked the Opus Lower Cloud Cover weather map rather than relying on spot view. What does the weather map show ? This could simply be down to FSX settings. What is your cloud draw distance ?

Do not assume your weather is not right, you spot plane view may or may not be right, you will only know if you consult the weather maps. There are hundreds of METARs that need to be taken into consideration since they produce the big picture, not just one METAR report at Birmingham.

Please consult the Live Weather Assistants weather maps, they will show you the weather over the entire map area especially all the weather injected all around you.

Its the big picture you want to consider. Just because Birmingham is cloudy it doesn't mean everywhere is. Please check the Opus maps to get the wider picture, check your cloud draw distance in FSX, and perhaps turn off cloud smoothing. Also try using a different external view. My guess is you are either misinterpreting the weather by only considering one METAR or your cloud draw distance is too small. The weather map will give you a clue.

Stephen

The weather interpolation is very good in Opus, we have used it to monitor the weather before flying in the real world and it has never been wrong. Please check the maps, the Opus LWE uses all the met reports to construct them.

Stephen

Perhaps you had better show your Lower Cloud Cover weather map here, or use it yourself, move the mouse cursor over the mat stations to see what weather has bed reported, you will soon get the bigger picture. Also consult your OpusWeather.txt file if you wish to examine all the downloaded METARs. But the weather maps will provide an easier method to asses what weather surrounds you. Also try setting your cloud draw distance to something like 100 miles. You should also consider your selected cloud textures, comparing the map and visual appearance may help. Don't forget to check that FSX cloud draw distance and perhaps try turning off the Opus Cloud Smoothing.

Stephen

It might help if you list your METARs here just in case you are seeing the current AUTO anomaly which will be fixed as soon as we return from our holidays.

Stephen

Perhaps it is best if you post the content of your OpusWeather.txt file, I can at least import they same METARs when I return and check the weather for you. The weather maps will provide all the information you need though. I am only concerned that it is not the result of AUTO METAR reports. In a recent beta I have rejected some to prevent erroneous reports but the software needs modifying slightly. I doubt if this is the cause of anything major because it only affects a few weather cells where there may be multiple met reports, normally quite rare since each cell is very small. Be interesting to see your weather map though. Your cloud draw distance could be set in accordance with our guide. No less than 80 miles though and more if you fly at highish altitudes, I have mine set to 100 miles. There are FSX settings which can control the overall cloud density so I would make sure they are all default.

Stephen

Hi again Stephen,

Firstly forgive my ignorance but I cannot find the Ous Weather.txt.file in the Opus folder is it under some other  text title in the file?

I have never used the Weather Assistant before but have been using it now in order to try and resolve this issue.I was looking at the preipitation screen but the cloudy wet weather ended long before it should have done according to the screen.

I have my cloud draw distance setting at 100 miles and my cloud density on maximum.

My real problem seems to be that when taking off from the airport the weather is accurate but then it just seems to peter out and this was backed up when following the precipitation map.

I should welcome your comments in respect of the Txt file in order that I can say E Mail this to you although I do not have your E Mail address.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Michael

My real problem seems to be

Michael Broom

The OpusWeather.txt file is in the OpusFSX\Themes folder, you can also access it via our FSX Addon menu along with many other reports.

Sounds to me as though you are not getting the full weather updates. Have you disabled them or are you running the Demo ?

The precipitation map does NOT show cloud coverage, only precipitation (rain or snow) on the surface as reported by the METARs. It shows precipitation that is reported on the surface and is accurate in as much as it is determined by the METARs. You won't be able to tell if its raining necessarily from the air. I doubt very much if it is wrong in any way there are thousands of people using it all the time including us. Looks like you are having trouble interpreting or perhaps believing in the weather. Please consult the Lower Cloud Coverage map as requested and I think you should also read our Using The Live Weather Engine SimForums topic

Please confirm how you are using the LWE.

Do you have a licensed copy or the demo ?

After takeoff the LWE will refresh the weather as you fly depending on the settings of the weather update parameters. You will not get any weather updates in demo mode and without updates you will soon run out of weather. The injected weather covers an area of 150 miles all around you, or just 30 or so if you have the demo version.

Can you first confirm you have a licensed copy and are not disabling weather updates.

Also make sure you do not have any other weather source enabled including FSX or FSInn or FSUIPC4.

Have you read the Getting Started Guide?

Finally, please don't follow the precipitation map, this shows precipitation at the surface, not airborne. You can go by the Lower Cloud Cover map but must understand FSX and how it depicts weather. You should read our Using The Live Weather Engine topic for that. FSX can extend and retract cloud boundaries including bleeding cloud boundaries across cells.

Sounds to me as though you are either using the demo, hence no weather updates whilst airborne, or have other weather being injected.

Our email address is on the web site.

Opusfsi@opussoftware.co.uk

Stephen

Please note ...

The Opus Weather Map covers an area of 800 x 800 miles centred on your aircraft position when it was generated.

The injected weather in the Sim covers an area of 320 x 320 miles (using the recommended Default theme size ... Do not select the maximum size, this option will soon be removed as FSX cannot store that amount of accurate weather). Again the injected weather region is centred on your aircraft position at the time so it extends 160 miles in each direction.

In Demo mode this region is drastically reduced as explained on our web site. Also the weather can only be generated when on the ground. There are no updates when airborne.

There is only one reported weather anomaly at the moment, there have only ever been a few, and the current anomaly has nothing to do with what you are seeing, which I now believe is either due to Demo mode or misinterpretation.

You should use the various weather maps to get an idea of the injected weather. For general cloud coverage the Lower Cloud Coverage map should be used, noting the FSX tendency to extend or retract cloud boundaries. So the map provides a guideline, no weather engine can position individual clouds or determine their exact positions.

There are fundamental questions you are not answering in your post which may help here.

Are you using the Demo version?

Are you getting automatic weather updates as you fly or have you toggled the weather updates off?

Are you using all default settings, selected by clicking on the Default button in all the weather dialogs?

Do you have the Import option set, please check the top right hand corner of your Weather dialog?

There has to be a simple explanation since everyone else's weather is just fine and no one has reported anything like what you are seeing. Assuming you are interpreting the weather maps correctly that is, because that is what has been injected into your sim.

Stephen

HI Stephen,

I have the fully licenced copy of the Opus Software and yes I have read the Getting Started Guide.I now  understand about the precipitation info and thanks for that.

I have now found the Opus Weather text file and I will E Mail a copy of this to you.

As far as the live weather engine is concerned I am using this as per your manual and diagrams etc and I certainly have not disabled the weather updates.

As I said previously the software was working fine until a couple of days ago.

Anyway,I shall E Mail the text copy of to you in order for you to peruse it.

Again,thanks for your help.

Michael

Michael Broom

You can email me them but I'm on holiday right now so you might have to wait until the 9th for an answer, I will have a read of them though, I might even be able to rig something up to generate a weather map.

Please use the weather maps though. Tick the Met Stations box to show the location of all met stations, then move the mouse cursor over them to check the METAR weather reports, this will match the displayed map data precisely.

When flying all you can really go on is the general trend indicated in the Lower Cloud Cover map. The other maps mainly show surface conditions. You should get some general idea of the weather from these maps though. The data is determined directly from the current METARs.

I am a bit confused now about what you are reporting since any possible anomaly must be compared with the weather map data, which is the current METARs that are in use.

Please check that Import option though ... This really matters. If you have it ticked then the weather will not be updated as you fly, only the same imported METARs will be used and they will become less relevant as you fly along or the further you fly. Eventually you will have NO weather. Check your weather settings please and confirm the Import option is OFF and you are getting weather updates as you fly.

Make sure you specify your Destination and Cruise Altitude, if its a local flight then your destination is your point of departure.

Stephen

It might be handy to show us an image of your Lower Cloud Coverage map, that will show if the weather is petering out.

Double check to make sure there are no other weather sources as well, no FSX weather, no FSInn weather, no other weather engine active.

Stephen

Are you using accelerated time (increased sim rates) without having FSUIPC4 installed?

The LWE needs FSUIPC4 to change the sim rate, reverting to x1 to inject the weather and then restoring the previous sim rate.

You could also try downloading the latest beta, uninstalling and installing that, just in case you have the corrupted build version.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I have E Mailed you my weather text info.

I can confirm that I do not have the Metar Import box ticked and never have.

I now understand the weather maps and in future will just use the Lower Clouds Map

I am going to try again now having made some adjustments and will report back.

Enjoy your holiday and thanks for your help.

Michael

P.S. Within FSX Weather Options page do I click on Opus Weather or do I just leave Weather Themes enabled?

Michael Broom