Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

Live Weather Update Problem - SOLVED

Hi Michael

Set your FSX Current Weather to any weather theme, just don't enable the real world weather options. The Opus LWE will do the rest. Remember the weather selection is saved with the flights.

I think you will find the weather maps and other reports most useful. Again bare in mind FSX can bleed weather over cell boundaries and will often extend cloud cover (as if you are pulling it along with you), and also retract cloud boundaries as it sees fit, usually following the patterns defined in the injected weather without adhere strictly to the cell borders or cloud cover edges. You will soon get an idea what FSX does and see that the Opus LWE interpolates the weather very well. The only changes you see on the maps always reflecting the changing METARs.

We will soon be adding wind arrows to the maps to assist reading them. You might like to consider entering a simple flight plan and processing that, all the nav and waypoints will be indicated on the maps.

Just stick to the default options, including 30 minute or 160km updates (you can lower these with VFR flying though), and recommended practises and you should be ok.

Stephen :-)

HI Stephen,

Again thanks for your help.

This product is really world class,it just takes a bit of understanding and application.

Will keep you posted.

Great after sales service you both should be proud of yourselves.

Enjoy your well deserved holiday.

Michael

Michael Broom

Hi Peter,

I trust you had an enjoyable break.

Having gone through all of your advice etc. I am still struggling to receive the accurate weather picture.

I am current on a flight from Southampton to Reykjavic and flying over Stratford upon Avon,where I live, and I am getting clear blue skies within FSX whereas the true weather picture here is overcast skies.The Low Cloud Cover map states broken at 4,500 feet but at 30,000 feet I do not see any clouds below at all.

Would welcome any further observations.

Many thanks .

Michael

Michael Broom

Check the date and time code on the weather map, is it being updated, and then check your Spy window as I believe I have already advise to see if the weather is being injected correctly without error. Just force a weather update and monitor the Spy window. Then please read out Using The Live Weather Engine and the Recommended Practices section in our SimForums. If the LW Lower Cloud Cover map shows plenty of cloud cover then you should most definitely see evidence of that. No one else has reported any problems and we have had no problems today.

Check the Spy window it could be that you have no weather being injected due to sharing and permissions issues.

Also confirm or check ...

You have no other source if weather enabled, no FSX weather active, not using FSInn with weather enabled, no FSUIPC4 weather options enabled, or any other weather engine.

You are not using accelerated time without FSUIPC4 installed.

You are not disabling weather updates at all or have increased the Weather Update time or distance to prevent weather being updated.

You are running in UNLIMITED mode with FSXSERVER on your FSX system and have the FSX sim type selected with the correct location of FSX identified in the Configure dialog.

Check around your aircraft, I assume you are saying there is no cloud at all all around you. If so then it definitely sounds like you have not set your system up correctly for the weather to be injected into FSX.

Stephen

Please do NOT use phrases such as 'the weather here'. Check your downloaded METARs ... They are ALL that matter since that is what the weather being generated is using, its not looking out of your window but referring to the METARs which could have been posted anything up to one hour earlier.

You can check your METARs by examining the OpusWeather.txt file, examining the weather maps, or the on screen weather reports.

You can email me your OpusWeather.txt file and I will confirm it is correct.

Please check the Spy window for any errors and confirm all the above points, such as not using accelerated time or any other weather sources etc..

Please also read the Using The LWE topic in our SimForums.

Stephen

Cranfield (EGTC) near Milton Keynes at the moment is reporting Scattered cloud at 3500 feet with light rain and thats exactly what I am getting both on the ground and the view after updating at 30,000 feet. There is plenty of cloud visible but more so in the distance where there is a great deal of broken cloud reported. Few clouds visible looking toward the south east.

My weather looks perfect in all directions.

If you arent seeing any cloud then my guess is you are not getting any weather updates.

Stephen

Overhead Cranfield now you should see what I have described above. You should see Scattered cloud in your immediate vicinity, thicker Broken cloud cover in the distance with only few clouds to the south east. Try updating the weather then check for an approximate match with the Lower Cloud Cover map noting the points mentioned in the Using The LWE topic, that is FSX can extend cloud boundaries and bleed cloud cover across boundaries so use the weather map as a guide. The varied cloud patterns are clearly visible at the moment, look at the general picture all around you not just what is directly beneath you.

As I said above mine looks a perfect match to the RW weather.

Stephen

Why not show me or email me your Spy window content during a weather update, send an image of your weather map, and perhaps a screen shot. Just email me the jpg images and I will get back to you. It must be something very simple if you have no cloud.

I will be posting a new beta soon, possibly tomorrow so why not uninstall and reinstall that. Double check your Configure settings and set all weather defaults in all dialogs. But the Spy window might tell you all you need to know and please confirm all the above points.

Stephen

Hi again Stephen,

Everything you have just mentioned I have rechecked and is OK including the Spy Window which shows that weather is being downloaded,no errors apparent,and that the date and time etc is true and fine.

However,I am wondering whether the following is relevant to my problem.

In the Nav Data Location you show yours as Default whereas as mine is in the following location C:\users\Owner\Documents\Flight Simulator Files and I am wondering whether this is part of the problem.

Certainly it would appear that I am not getting any weather updates.

Obviously if you are issuing a new Beta version tomorrow I will download it but would welcome your further comments.

Michael

Michael Broom

The Nav data has nothing to do with updates its only used to process and generate the flight plan report and it won't be installed where you say, it should be in your FSX folder.

There can only be something seriously wrong if you are not getting any updates. There are many many thousands of users all running with no problems at all so this is definitely something wrong with your system. Please send me a listing of your Spy window and double check that the OpusWeather.WTB file is being updated in your FSX\Weather\theme folder.

Stephen

You should investigate further and confirm the update and transfer of your WTB file, and please confirm all the points I mentioned above.

UNLIMITED mode.

Not using accelerated time in flight unless with FSUIPC4.

Correct Cinfigure settings and Weather Dialog defaults set.

WTB file updating.

Email me your Spy window. I am right in assuming you have NO clouds whatsoever on display after a weather update.

Stephen

Stephen,

Many thanks for your reply,I shall come back to you tomorrow morning with the info that you need,I can confirm though that the WTB file is updating with todays date and tonights time showing against it.

Will come back tomorrow.

Michael

Michael Broom

Check you have no other source of weather enabled. Best send me images of all your setup, Spy listing and an image of your sky when sat on the ground. Also check all your FSX settings including your cloud draw distance, FSX weather settings etc..

Stephen

You could use the Import option to inject various GLOB METARs to check the weather injection and rendering on your system.

Stephen,

I have sent you 2 E Mails with images,as requested.

I have checked my FSX settings and my cloud draw distance is 100 miles.

I now have my FSX weather on clear skies whereas before it was set to fair weather but obviously not real weather.

My WTB file is correct,time and date etc.

I do not use accelerated time.

I am running in Unlimited mode

I will now E Mail through to you my Opus Weather text file image.

Look forward to your observations.

Michael

Michael Broom

Check your OpusWeather.txt file which contains the downloaded METARs. On the face of it the weather seems to be generating OK but does not seem to be updating in the sim. Try capturing the download process in the Spy window by opening the Spy window before opening the Weather dialog and clicking on Update Weather.

I would also try deleting your OpusWeather.WTB files in both the OpusFSX\Weather\Themes and the <FSX>\Weather\theme folders. Just in case the file has become write protected in any way. Do this before updating the weather.

Stephen

Also try turning off Cloud Smoothing in the Weather Smoothing dialog. See if that helps.

Stephen

I assume you haven't reinstalled FSX at another location, in other words, the OpusWeather.WTB file is being copied to your previous FSX installation folder and not your new one.

Stephen

SOLVED ...

This problem seems to have been solved by either deleting the OpusWeather.WTB files in both the OpusFSX\Themes and <FSX>\Weather\theme folders (it could have been blocked or become write protected), or specifying the correct location of the 'current' FSX install folder within the Opus Configure dialog. Still waiting for confirmation, but if you re-install FSX at a different location you must then identify the new location within the Opus Configure dialog, otherwise the WTB file will be copied to the wrong place.

One other possible solution was to select a new static weather theme (the clear skies or 'no weather' theme) then re-save the flight. This seems to have possibly freed up the weather theme and allow further weather updates.

Stephen :smile:

I started having this issue recently not sure if it was since installing Beta 3.34.4 or it happened at some point, for me the weather would download only one time on the ground and then updating would stop. I solved this by going into the weather settings, and i discovered that the option "Import METAR data from file" was checked, i unchecked it and the weather is once again updating.