Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How come there's no trial mode for PFPX?

I would like to try this out before I buy, but it's a shame that there's no trial mode. At $50 it's quite expensive.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Because trial modes of full products are hard to program and rarely worth it.

Its well worth the 50 bucks if you do longer flights.

Why is it worth it? I currently use EFB and design my flight plans online. How does PFPX add to the experience? 

EFB and PFPX have nothing to do with each other ... one is a chart tool, other one is a flight planner/dispatcher.

PFPX is a really good program - when the aircrafts are included, of course.

But the main important are: 777, 737, Dash8 ...

The best thing is, you could do many things automated, so you have with 6 or 7 clicks a complete dispatch sheet: route, payload, fuel, winds, alternates, flightlevel ... all.

But you could also tweak your plan at any stage of course.

In addition with TOPCAT it is a must have.

BUT: important is, that it is fun for you to do a bit realistic flights. So, not always 100% fuel and CI 100. If it is fun for you to loadout a 777 and see on the other side of the atlantic that you have exact the amount of fuel left you wanted to, then, PFPX is a must have.

For simple flightplaning alone, there are enough other (freeware) tools out ...

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Guenter, EFB and flight planners should be looked at separately.

The competition to PFPX could be software like Flight Sim Commander, FSBuild or any other soft focusing on producing valid routes and allowing for at least partial fuel calcs. So far, I'd say that PFPX delivers the deeper (and more expensive) package, but I don't have the feeling that I've already explored everything.

Well, there's a free alternative in place which comes very close. That's the Simbrief site, which would only need a current code from your Navigraph subscription (a thing you might already be running for your planes) to become current. If you don't enter such a code, you can still plan of course. But then with 2011 data.

I would have applauded to a trial period in PFPX as the price indeed is an item being able to keep some customers out as long as they don't see how versatile the tool really is. And that impression only comes from using it in my eyes.

Can PFPX make a complete flight plan for me if I enter just the departing and arriving airports? I want it to calculate everything including the SID/STARS, fixes, waypoints along the routes and also the exact runways i will take off and land at. I fly the PMDG 777 mostly and if it can do this, then it is worth the $56 in my eyes. But before I hit buy, I want to know if thats possible to make quick flight plans in under a minute, save it out to PMDG 777 format, load up FSX, select plane and load up flightplan from the FMC, and hit activate, and start flying right away?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Yes... to all!

and you have the amount of fuel you have to load based on your payload and route.

Flightplan could be exported to several addons and tools, also to PMDG. Just load that route then as company route in your 777 FMC

EDIT: by design you have to manually enter the SID and STARs into the FMC. But that is something you have to do with every planner and every addon of course. But PFPX gives you active runways and SID/STARs of course.

Guenter Steiner

Yes... to all!

and you have the amount of fuel you have to load based on your payload and route.

Flightplan could be exported to several addons and tools, also to PMDG. Just load that route then as company route in your 777 FMC

EDIT: by design you have to manually enter the SID and STARs into the FMC. But that is something you have to do with every planner and every addon of course. But PFPX gives you active runways and SID/STARs of course.

I could see the value in this if it figures everything out for you very quickly vs spending 15-20 minutes doing a flight plan. Do you also need to have TopCat to make it worthwhile? I may buy one program but if I have to buy two to get the full benefit I think I will pass until there is a sale. 

Do you also need to have TopCat to make it worthwhile?

No, you don't. But TOPCAT gives you suggested values for TO thrust, flap settings, etc. Right now for the T7 I'm using a freeware program called UTOPIA which calculates TO performance. In my opinion, PFPX stands out enough to warrant buying, especially if you do long-hauls. Very powerful tool that once you get used to using it, is invaluable. Producing an OFP and exporting it to the relevant programs you use is very easy and fast. I love it. You can copy and paste a route from FlightAware or have PFPX generate a route that takes in to account SIDS/STARS (based on winds and rwy use), all the current oceanic routes, polar routes, fuel consumption, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

I too would suggest PFPX to anyone wanting to get it.

It is quite simple, yet very robust.

It does do auto routing for you and you can manually add a route.For example, with my North American flights I just copy and paste the routes from Flight Aware and print off my dispatch sheet (takes all of two minutes). It has my fuel load, my winds and wind charts.

Go fly....

I too would suggest PFPX to anyone wanting to get it.

It is quite simple, yet very robust.

It does do auto routing for you and you can manually add a route.For example, with my North American flights I just copy and paste the routes from Flight Aware and print off my dispatch sheet (takes all of two minutes). It has my fuel load, my winds and wind charts.

Go fly....

Where does it get the weather from? Can I use it with Opus? Will I be able to run the flight plan it created in EFB and Vox ATC?

Where does it get the weather from?

Through its own server, Active Sky, REX, and FS global wx.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

Will I be able to run the flight plan it created in EFB and Vox ATC?

EFB could import FSX plans, meaning you export the PFPX plan as FSX plan and import it then.

Guenter Steiner

Because trial modes of full products are hard to program and rarely worth it.

Jim,

EFB (similarly priced) has a months free trial and Project Magenta allows you to fly in the KLAX / KSFO area for an unlimited time. Surely a time-limited feature would be feasible for quite an expensive piece of software?

I've just searched for reviews and the only ones I can find are video clips on YouTube. Those hardly give a potential buyer a decent objective analysis of the product. And with no refunds allowed how is it possible to make a decent judgement call on what appears to be a good product but if it doesn't suit you then it's fifty dollars down the drain.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather