Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

777 take off procedure

I would like to ask for correct take off procedure.

This is something i have problem here.

My take off's are like rocket launch, i have big problems to keep speed restrictions.

What i do is when i line up at the runway i arm VNAV.

I press TOGA and plane accelerate with D-TO engine regime as set in FMS.

When i lift off, speed is increasing rapidly, especially with low fuel/payload.

Problem is that plane is accelerating all the way up to red limit, passing VNAV settings.

Should i press some buttons to keep VNAV regime after lift off ?

I do not want to turn on Autopilot just after take off, i like to fly initial phase manually, i need only assistance with speed control. 

Artur 

Are you following flight director commands? As long as you follow flight director commands, speed should be in perfect control.

Cristian Caicedo

Engine derate is your best friend... I don't use the vnav for take off. I keep it in toga until i control the acceleration. And follow closely the flight directors as Christian mentioned above...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Derate your TO and your CLB.
Doing the above has kept me well in check, the aircraft is extremely well behaved until 10k, then speed restrictions are lifted and all bets are off ;)
I also tend to hand fly it to about 15-20k (if the SID is interesting), and by following the FD commands, I've had no issues with restrictions.

Aamir Thacker

This is what i refer to.

If keep flight director guidance so to keep speed for example at 205 kts as some SID require, then i have to keep insane climb rate, cause just after lift off until 1500ft engines are working with take off power.

Even with D-TO take off power is huge.

If will not keep insane climb then will overshot speed restriction within seconds ...

Power managing is the biggest issue for me.

Artur 

Pull back more and get the flaps up You said it yourself, low fuel/payload. Derate engines or assumed temp. You don't ever need more than 95% n1 on takeoff, even at mtow if you've got a 10k+ foot runway.

I'd derate to about 95-ish N1, I've had as low as 92.

Remember, ONE GE90 can power a 747 in cruise. These engines are massively powerful, 90% of their total thrust is still enough.

Aamir Thacker

This plane even with 90% N1 is having rocket performance :-)

I think normal take off climb rate - i mean usual and comfortable for passengers is somewhere between 2000 and 3000 ft/min, correct me if i am wrong.

Right now i do take offs manually, and simply after lift off, at about 500ft i reduce power and manually keep balance between climb rate and engine power.

It works well, only i think it is not according real life flying technique ...

Artur 

Real life in this airplane is having enough power to climb fully loaded (MTOW) to FL300 in just 18 minutes, light load, like about 200 T takeoff weight and it will climb to FL390 in 14 minutes. That is it. Just follow flight director commands and do not get distracted by how much you are climbing as that is not of concern. The passengers or the crew can not feel if we are climbing 2000 or 5000 feet per minute.

Climb is done at either CLB, CLB-1 or CLB-2 according to your weight and do not need to reduce that thrust setting, if you see the speed increasing you need to pull the nose up a littel bit more or simply follow flight director commands... That's is it.

Cristian Caicedo

It isn't. The T7 is designed to be flown with A/T on at all times.
Nah, see, just after TO you should be pulling around 5000fpm, that's what I've experienced anyway. It's not a ridiculous nose up angle anyway, you should be at about 15 degrees nose up at liftoff then adjust to whatever the FD commands, that's how I do it.

Aamir Thacker

I mean usual and comfortable for passengers is somewhere between 2000 and 3000 ft/min, correct me if i am wrong.

Nope, it isn't. You can't feel the number of ft/min inside the plane. Whether you are climbing at 5000 ft/min or 1000 ft/min, you won't feel it.

However, if you were to go from 1000 ft/min to 5000 ft/min in a very small timeframe, you would have some explaining, and vomit cleaning, to do.

I would like to ask for correct take off procedure.

This is something i have problem here.

My take off's are like rocket launch, i have big problems to keep speed restrictions.

What i do is when i line up at the runway i arm VNAV.

I press TOGA and plane accelerate with D-TO engine regime as set in FMS.

When i lift off, speed is increasing rapidly, especially with low fuel/payload.

Problem is that plane is accelerating all the way up to red limit, passing VNAV settings.

Should i press some buttons to keep VNAV regime after lift off ?

I do not want to turn on Autopilot just after take off, i like to fly initial phase manually, i need only assistance with speed control.

Are you sure your thrust levers are not overriding the AT reduced thrust commands? Go into the FMC and select the option "thrust levers override AT - never or in hold only"

Rob Robson