Sign in to follow this  
koala63

Advice MD82 Maddog, buy or no buy?

Hello guys :)

I often flew the MD-11 and now im thinking to buy "The MD82 Maddog" but i would like to know what do you think about it?

I want to use it alone and with my friend on ivao network with the multicrew mode.My friend hasn't got the plane too, for that we need advice about if this is a good buy or not.

Thanks ;)

When it comes to multicrew, this plane is your only and good option. The Q400 from Majestic might follow sooner or later by the way.

Well, you won't be that impressed with the graphics in the Maddog, that's for sure. But the systems will beat much more current planes easily while you would never have to fear running out of memory for example.

There should be plenty of reviews out there explaining the details and the tools coming with the plane and if I had to draw a current conclusion as to how the Maddog compares to the latest and greatest, I can only say that she still collects more hours than the competition.

But you really have to be ok with the old graphics, that's the main hurdle in my eyes. After that, you will enjoy a weather radar as much as a terrain display or the engine modelling or failure generator even producing MEL lists. Or the fuel planner, or the multi stage and multi level lighting or fact that you can pull a CB and see what happens.

CoolIP has done an excellent summary and I second every opinion he expressed. I have been using this plane in FS9 and FSX for years (since it was released), it is excellent in every aspect except for the visual part as explained already above. Having said that, it is hardly a deterrent especially since the developers are aware of this weakness and - apparently - are seeking a 3D artist to revamp the VC. Go for it, you wont regret it!

Hello Koala63,

if you are into MDs, when it comes to the 82 still today nothing beats the Maddog. True, the graphics won't be up to a new aircraft, like a 373 NGX or 777, but the depth of the  system modeling is up there. There are new MD80s models that came out after the Maddog, but I still went for the Maddog, there is no competition there , the Leonardo MD  is one of the most  in depth simulations around, even for today's standards. Buy it and you won't regret it!

Enrico :wink:

The Q400 from Majestic might follow sooner or later by the way.

Actually, the Majestic Dash 8/Q400 WILL be shared cockpit.  We're flying her shared cockpit almost daily in the Beta right now - amazing. Can't say anything more than that right now, except that three of us on the Beta team are highly experienced Maddog guys and we love both aircraft immensely.

I've spent time on several MD-88 flight decks, and believe it or not the Leonardo Maddog's graphics capture the feel of the flight deck exceptionally well.  Even so, there could be improvements, and Leonardo is currently pursuing just that.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Indeed Leo Maddog is graphically visibly an FS9 development (or a FS9/X shared development, depending on how you look at it).

Still, it is still good value for the price, and the developers, after being dormant for a while, recently released a service pack, and asked users for help with finding the right people for the job of graphical update.

Still, it is still good value for the price, and the developers, after being dormant for a while, recently released a service pack

That's actually funny since the old lady now officially supports Win8, right?

To Dave. I've linked to a test video so that folks can check out how the upcoming Majestic shared cockpit feature would look like. Right you are, there can be no doubt on Majestic holding their word on implementing this feature. Thumbs up. :smile:

That's actually funny since the old lady now officially supports Win8, right?

No idea :) IMO W8 is still too fresh to be worth going for, if you want to use computer for more than the basics.

Sorry, should have been more precise.  :blush:  The point was that even some way more current planes don't support that OS, officially.

Ok i wiil buy it, if i have to choose between the graphics and simulation quality i choose simulation quality :)

The graphics are better then the LDS, at least it's 3d right.

Buy it.

What CoolIP said, plus the very realistic icing effects simulation, plus engine simulation (hotstarts, compressor stalls, etc.).

PS: I assume we are talking about the Leonardo Maddog 2010 Pro.

There's a 1 1/2 hour video on youtube - md80 klax/ksfo, so you can see what you're letting yourself in for. It's a great 'plane - egpws, weather radar, hot starts, flame outs , icing effects, functioning circuit breakers, pmdg navdata - if you prefer procedures over visuals you can't go wrong, but be prepared for a lot of reading. In its day it was ahead of anything pmdg had on offer (but not now). As mentioned above, they're looking for a 3D artist so we may get a VC refresh. Buy it!

JB

Ok i wiil buy it, if i have to choose between the graphics and simulation quality i choose simulation quality :)

That argument has been made about the LDS 763, which I own.

And it doesn't hold water IMHO.

There's a point whereby the grafix become so dated, like the LDS 763, that it no longer suspends my disbelief.

Conversely, a new hardcore jet with up-to-date grafix, like the PMDG 777, is stellar and puts me right there in the pit.

Choose carefully, sir.

spacer.png

Gotta pull the sliders back and turn off addon airports/some scenery because the Maddog is the heaviest hitter when it comes to performance and FPS.