Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Future graphics - Timelapse of GTA V

While it is exiting to see aerofly FS and Prepar3D v2 being in development, I still lament that flight sims are lagging behind the general development in computer graphics. If they can run this level of graphics and AI on a Playstation, imagine what could have been done with a state of the art flight simulator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIkmHCo8Lw

All I can say is, too bad one got hooked on flight sims, and not shoot 'em ups!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Couldn't agree more.  Just imagine FSX 64 bit fully compatible with existing third party add-ons.  Perhaps if we appealed to Bill's philanthropic nature he could throw a few million bucks at it.  He would just need a good reason to do so.  After all, it's only money.

I would like that too. But think of the area a flightsim must cover compared to a first person shooter.

I would like that too. But think of the area a flightsim must cover compared to a first person shooter.

Solved by generic textures and models, just like in current sims. Add to that the ability for users to create their home towns etc. And you can increase geographic accuracy. Just look at Outerra. They have made the whole earth and add new textures and models one by one. What is inspiering is to see how realistic they have managed to create the environment. Also don't forget, the GTA V world is huge.

Sorry I don't have GTA so I didn't know. Oops

Even more impressive is that these great graphics are running on hardware that is by todays standards rather old. The playstation 3 and xbox 360 came out years ago.

I think that videos like this can sometimes be pretty eye opening for those dedicated to simulation only, who may have little idea of how far computer game graphics have come.

And of how far "pure" simulation graphics have fallen behind.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Watching that video just makes me upset that Rockstar is holding out on us PC users....grrrr. Release this already! :angry:

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

While it is exiting to see aerofly FS and Prepar3D v2 being in development, I still lament that flight sims are lagging behind the general development in computer graphics. If they can run this level of graphics and AI on a Playstation, imagine what could have been done with a state of the art flight simulator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIkmHCo8Lw

All I can say is, too bad one got hooked on flight sims, and not shoot 'em ups!

I was also looking at this video and thinking about how that number of buildings, lights vehicles and effects would bring every flight sim I know of to a crawl......... Done apparently almost effortlessly on now aging consoles.

http://youtu.be/kPADg_8P0Fk

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yep, it is beyond me how they do it. And it isn't even a 64 bit application! :)

Oops wrong thread sorry

Also don't forget, the GTA V world is huge.

Compared to the whole world GTA V has a very very very very very very small world. Also it doesn't have any advanced physics and calculations that we are having in our simulators. If they put in real simulation of the car engines, planes and helicopters, real weather etc etc into that world it would put the PS3 to a halt without a doubt.

I came from the gaming world when I first got into flightsims and I was quite impressed and still is what FSX is capable off.

All simulators that is made is lacking behind when it comes to graphics and I think there is a reason for that, we simply can't have booth without making our PC's choke because off the load. It has always been that way, sims has always had less graphics but alot more advanced physics and stuff(even if the tech has been there to make them look better).

E.g when FSX came out there was arcade flying games that looked alot better, but they wasn't capable of having the whole world and all the advanced calculations that went into FSX...

Simulators will always be 2 steps behind when it comes to graphics no matter what...

I think you all underestimate how much power the simulator bit is actually drawing from the computer........

Compared to the whole world GTA V has a very very very very very very small world. Also it doesn't have any advanced physics and calculations that we are having in our simulators. If they put in real simulation of the car engines, planes and helicopters, real weather etc etc into that world it would put the PS3 to a halt without a doubt.

I came from the gaming world when I first got into flightsims and I was quite impressed and still is what FSX is capable off.

All simulators that is made is lacking behind when it comes to graphics and I think there is a reason for that, we simply can't have booth without making our PC's choke because off the load. It has always been that way, sims has always had less graphics but alot more advanced physics and stuff(even if the tech has been there to make them look better).

E.g when FSX came out there was arcade flying games that looked alot better, but they wasn't capable of having the whole world and all the advanced calculations that went into FSX...

Simulators will always be 2 steps behind when it comes to graphics no matter what...

I think you all underestimate how much power the simulator bit is actually drawing from the computer........

A valid point, but I have two comments to that.

1) Yes, the GTA V world is small in comparison to the entire Globe, but remember that you can build the whole Earth by using generic landclass and autogen, which is allready the case with MSFS/P3D. Compared to the entire FSX landclass and autogen library, GTA V is a huge world.

2) FSX was developed betwwen 2003-2006. If Microsoft had continued the franchise we'd be at a very different level of grahics, even with advanced flight and weather models. A comparison of FS2000 and FSX shows how much can happen in six to seven years.

FSX was developed betwwen 2003-2006. If Microsoft had continued the franchise we'd be at a very different level of grahics, even with advanced flight and weather models.

Yes we would, but still not close to this(MS Flight is another example, it looked nicer but still looked "old"). Look at  X-plane, doesn't even come close, and that is a modern sim, look at Prepar3Dv2, It will look better than FSX but still not close too GTA V, Arma 3 graphics and other games....

Someone mentioned Outerra, try and run it and see how much resosurces it draws from the system, put a sim into that equation and it will be some years before we can run it decently on our PC's..

Im contemt if LM gets ESP up to the state where it will run without performance issues and maybe look a lttle better than FSX, Im not expecting it to look like todays games.. I just don't beleive our computer are upto it with todays hardware.

I maybe be totally wrong though :P But my expirience with simulators is that they always have demanded alot more powerful computers to run and not even been close to games when it comes to graphics. There is so much going on under the hood in sims that we can't see, but really take a toll on the system.

Watching that video just makes me upset that Rockstar is holding out on us PC users....grrrr. Release this already!

Yeah, Im a GTA fan and not having it on the PC has always bugged me(GTAIV was released for the PC but it was impossible to run decently on my computer). I said that I would never buy another console again, but then GTA V came along and I had to swallow my pride and buy a PS3. Damn you rockstar :P