Sign in to follow this  
Ircghost

AVSIM forum slow or just me?

Dear all,

I haven't been using AVSIM much lately, but since the forum I'm usually on is pretty empty I decided to particapte more here.

The only problem with AVSIM for me is that all pages and search queries seem to take forever. I run a 150/20(Kbps) network here and I have no troubles whatsoever with browsing normally. I disabled my ad-blocker completly but still the responserate is low.

Am I the onlyone or is this a common problem?

With regards,

Ircghost

p.s. Don't get me wrong I love the huge amount of topics on AVSIM, just wondering what might cause this problem.

I am still finding that AVSIM is slow, or even unobtainable, about 9am here in the UK. It seems OK later in the day.

Depending on your connection speed, if you are at 120 kbps, you will have a slow time loading AVSIM.  Our site is optimized for broadband connections and I believe our page size is around 1.2 mb.

I do have an idea though to help you browse faster in lieu of the full site... Scroll all the way down and next to the orange icon on the bottom left, select Change Theme > AVSIM Mobile.

Gerry,

We expect that time to be busy on our server as there are some site processes that run around that time each day.  Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

I am regularly having difficulty logging into AVSIM get timeouts with error no. 503.  I have a fast broadband connection.  It is only AVSIM no problems with other sites.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Same here on 10mbit connection, very slow forums lately. Also edit post does not work with tapatalk.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Gerry,

We expect that time to be busy on our server as there are some site processes that run around that time each day. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

That may be the case, but it's still the only site of many I visit that exhibits that behaviour.

It's not the fastest site around. Take not that a lot of people visit this site! If you want faster speeds, consider a donation.  ^_^

BTW Good to see you here, lrcghost!!!  :smile:

Depending on your connection speed, if you are at 120 kbps, you will have a slow time loading AVSIM.  Our site is optimized for broadband connections and I believe our page size is around 1.2 mb.

I do have an idea though to help you browse faster in lieu of the full site... Scroll all the way down and next to the orange icon on the bottom left, select Change Theme > AVSIM Mobile.

Gerry,

We expect that time to be busy on our server as there are some site processes that run around that time each day.  Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

Thank you, and the others for their replies.

I think I was a bit too tired judging by all the typo's in my post.. What I meant to say is that I have a 150Mbps/20Mbps connection, so you could say it is a pretty fast connection.

This is by far the only website I visit which is always less responsive then others.

But I will definitly try to change the theme and see what happens, I will post my findings here.

---

@J van E, good to see you too :)

I am regularly having difficulty logging into AVSIM get timeouts with error no. 503.  I have a fast broadband connection.  It is only AVSIM no problems with other sites.

Bruceb

I get  this occasionally  as well, not  all the time  though   than usually  I wait  a few minutes  and I try again with no  issues

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I am still finding that AVSIM is slow, or even unobtainable, about 9am here in the UK. It seems OK later in the day.

That's exactly what I'm seeing too Gerry. The forum is down for around 30 minutes each morning around 0800-0830 GMT. I can only assume it's taken down for rebuilding. For the rest of the day it's okay given the number of people using it. 515 in the last 15 minutes according to the stats. Wait until the US wakes up!

I can't see any mention of this downtime on the front page. It might be helpful to include something as it seems to be a regular thing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I tried using the mobile version for a while as was suggested, my finding:

1) It's not very userfriendly if you are on a 32" screen as I am.

I could live with that if not;

2) It is still equally slow as the normal interface.

I noticed this as well:

This is me pinging avsim (205.252.249.58)

Reply from 205.252.249.58: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=54
Reply from 205.252.249.58: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=54

This is me pinging google (8.8.8.8)

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=47
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=47
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=47
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=47

Facebook:

Reply from 31.13.64.113: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=88
Reply from 31.13.64.113: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=88
Reply from 31.13.64.113: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=88
Reply from 31.13.64.113: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=88

Of course those websites are made for extremely vast amounts of users, I'm just showing the difference. What are the server statistics for avsim? As in, what are the capabilities?

This is the only site I get 503 errors from also and have been regularly for months now.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

For S&G I changed to the IPB Default theme and it seems to be better. Not sure why though.

For S&G I changed to the IPB Default theme and it seems to be better. Not sure why though.

I'll try and see how that works for me :)