Sign in to follow this  

Bloom my way 25% fps improvement?

I would like to get more data on this "find" from others.

I haven't done any VAS testing yet ... have to see how PMDG 777 holds up at LOD 9.5 and 2048 textures.

The confusing part, Bloom is post-processing pipeline so I really don't understand how or why we're seeing such huge performance benefits from this?  In theory, it can only "slow" performance down so why are we seeing the exact opposite?  I can see the mystery is probably going to drive me crazy. ;)

The reason I ask is that is Steve's paid fixer shifting processing to the gpu ?!.

Well, in theory the frame/scene has already been render, bloom is just an post-pipeline process ... need to check GPU utilization and see if it's changed.

Woha! Interesting revelation!

Give it a try, another data point would good.

Heh, I'd if I had the fixer. :)

I'm on my temp rig so can't get maximum joy out of fsx anyway. I'm stalling many purchases for that reason. :)

Did some more testing:

VAS is unchanged (about the same)

The DX10 Fixer for General Shader - Bloom section - Reflective setting 0-100% seems to only work with transparent surfaces (like glass, something with Alpha).  Tested on the Delta version of PMDG at 4pm ... at 0% or 100%, the gleam was unchanged.  Tested on the A2A C-172 and it was adjusting only the gleam from glass/transparent surfaces.  This has me puzzled, documentation says this should reduce the gleam on all surfaces?

redundant LOD layers in the base BGLs
Rob, can you elaborate, is there a post related to this?  I looked around Steve's site but couldn't find the info you were referring to.

Thanks.

\Robert Hamlich/

Tried it and did not gain any FPS.....Do you have to change something in the "General Shader Options"?

Bloom Settings

Reflective 100%

Lights 100%

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

I think that because you installed the Fixer, you are now experiencing what I discovered about a week ago,now.  I found that with Bloom still enabled, I also 'picked up' about 10-12 FPS in using DX9 with Bloom as well. I have to say though, that it was just the opposite with Bloom on, prior to installing Steve's program and playing around (as you did and are...) with the different slider and percentage settings.  Try setting it back to DX9, (through his program mask, and see if you also now maintain at least the same FPS you had prior to no Bloom being engaged in DX9, but with Bloom as 'on'.  I'll bet you that you will.  That is the reason that I am staying with DX9 as long as this 'post effect, FPS boost' continues.  Something...is changing, for sure.  Since I went back to DX9 and stayed there, I can maintain in 97 percent of situations...my 27-30 FPS.  Before, installing, with DX9 Bloom on...I'd usually be in the 12-17 FPS range.  Not any more.......and going on day 7 or so.....  So to recap my post install experience,  I can maintain now, the same 27-30 (locked at 30 within FSX)  regardless of whether I'm running under DX10, or DX9.  The same performance, with FSX all out.  I have absolutely no explanation,  nor even conjecture for this...but am enjoying immensely the dual performance FPS experience nonetheless, let me assure you! :)

Interesting...Are you absolutely sure you are having that drastic of a boost in dx9 now. There has to have been some significant cfg changes. I'm back in dx9 at the moment as well having used my dx9 backed up fsx.cfg. Haven't really noticed any significant changes, then again the only way I ever drop down to such low numbers like 12 is flying over Manhattan with  DDesign New York and heavy traffic, and its only in specific areas of the city. DX9 has always ran well for me with this particular rig.

edit: Actually when I think about it...I was running bloom in dx9 the other day, and I never noticed it to be that stable and smooth in the past...but again its hard for me to be sure.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Rob, can you elaborate, is there a post related to this?

Yes there is a post about it (sorry don't have a link to it), Jim Robinson is the source ... quote from Jim:

I just decompiled the libraries with BGL2XML and then used MCX to strip the LODs. It's a per-each process, you have to drag each model individually into MCX, remove all but the highest LOD and then re-export the .mdl from MCX with batching enabled.

Do you have to change something in the "General Shader Options"?

No, General Shader option is to adjust how Bloom affects the surfaces (and "reflective" option seems to only work on transparent surfaces - with alpha -- on my setup).  What video card are you using?  Also, when setting the value, be sure to manually edit the FSX.CFG or else FSX will reset the LOD and Textures which will skew the results.

I have a GeForce GTX 670.

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Interesting...Are you absolutely sure you are having that drastic of a boost in dx9 now. There has to have been some significant cfg changes. I'm back in dx9 at the moment as well having used my dx9 backed up fsx.cfg. Haven't really noticed any significant changes, then again the only way I ever drop down to such low numbers like 12 is flying over Manhattan with  DDesign New York and heavy traffic, and its only in specific areas of the city. DX9 has always ran well for me with this particular rig.

edit: Actually when I think about it...I was running bloom in dx9 the other day, and I never noticed it to be that stable and smooth in the past...but again its hard for me to be sure.

Good morning, Marc!

Yep...absolutely (non snake-oil sure)!   The FPS and smoothness in user session can not produce 'Placebo'.  12-18 FPS with Bloom on in DX9, from the get go and purchase of FSX Premium, and through two separate systems as well.   Then...as claimed, install of the DX10 Fixer, adjusting here and there its Shader masks, going back and forth between DX10 and DX9 by use only of the program (not clicking off DX10 Preview Mode within FSX and then what we all had to do...a reboot of the program, etc) and when flying out of a couple of airports with air frames I was interested in seeing  under both DX10 and DX9, did I notice that in my always installed REX clouds and atmospherics, that I was STILL now running with the same smoothness and FPS rate that I had under a 'fixed as best Steve can' DX10 Preview Mode.  I dropped my jaw...put the coffee down..and said out-loud..."What the he**?!?"  That is why I posted the topic header on my thread as I did. I had placed the flight on pause...and RAN, did not walk to the DX10 Fixer Forum to post what seemed impossible to be happening.  That's the story...and I'm stickin' to it, lol!

Mitch 

(not clicking off DX10 Preview Mode within FSX and then what we all had to do...a reboot of the program, etc)

Er... to actually switch from DX10 to DX9 you HAVE to restart FSX. Are you sure you actually are using DX9 and not still DX10...?!?

Be good if someone can provide definitive answer to this sounds like good news ill wait and see then buy it if its true. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Be good if someone can provide definitive answer to this sounds like good news ill wait and see then buy it if its true. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I tested it with one of my testflights (RealAir Legacy on AP flying above London, using FTX Global and UTX Europe). For this purpose I disabled the 1/2 vsync option and set fps to unlimited in FSX. I switched between DX10 and DX9 by using the Fixer and by importing the appropriate profile in Inspector.

After letting the plane fly for 2 minutes (restarting everything in between) I got these results:

DX10 without bloom: average fps 40

DX10 with bloom: average fps 40

DX9 without bloom: average fps 28

DX9 with bloom: average fps 18

So this is just as you would expect it to be. DX10 runs better than DX9 and bloom in DX9 lowers fps.

I really don't know what Mitch is doing, but I certainly wouldn't buy the Fixer for this bloom trick. I still think Mitch is actually running DX10 because he switched to DX9 using the Fixer without restarting FSX... I can't think if any other explanation.

Er... to actually switch from DX10 to DX9 you HAVE to restart FSX. Are you sure you actually are using DX9 and not still DX10...?!?

Meant only that you don't have to run FSX to either choose DX9 by unclicking the box and rebooting. You can change up via the Fix, before you run your flight, and before you fire up FSX.   I do not mean that you can switch between the two while FSX is in fact, running.