Sign in to follow this  
Manny

MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 Ultra-Res Cities

MSE V2 just announced Ultra-Re Cities

Which is good news..I think.  .I was wanting something like this rather than an entire state. some states I want entire state but I wanted it complimented with something like the Mega cities which we used to have. My Fav old mega city is Phoenix and DFW.

But the bummer is, I did not see anything about night textures nor autogen. Although this is high resolution " While current states are made up mostly of 50 cm source data resampled to 1 meter, Ultra-Res Cities are not resampled and are displayed at 50 cm (or better if higher resolution imagery is available)."  

I hope PCaviator would see the wisdom of putting  some effort in in placing autogens for these cities (the area is reasonable size)  and also give us night textures...even if its priced a tad more. This would compliment the regular MS V2 phototextures for the entire state..giving us a nice approach addon.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I agree, it's kinda pointless to release a city with no buildings or autogen IMO. the main reason I never bought any of the Aerosoft cites is lack of night textures, but at least they had full buildings.

I have megacity DFW also and like it, but I also have my own small areas around DFW, including Addison airport photoreal at 20 cm per pixel uncompressed and you can really see the difference.

Also this info " While current states are made up mostly of 50 cm source data resampled to 1 meter," is probably not good marketing and would probably hurt future sales as most users look at this as lowering the quality. Default FSX is 1 meter per pixel

Best, Michael

KDFW

but I also have my own small areas around DFW, including Addison airport photoreal at 20 cm per pixel uncompressed and you can really see the difference.

Where from did you get that? I want it. :P

resampled to 1 meter," is probably not good marketing and would probably hurt future sales as most users look at this as lowering the quality.

For an entire state it would be too much otherwise.. like they explained, it would take something close to 6TB HD space for the entire US. not a good idea

I like this idea about mega cities..but it begs for night and good autogens + hand placed objects as well deserving "mega city" title.  :)

I actually liked their earlier option they had where I could buy certain areas within a state.  I prefer this because I want corridors to go from city to another.

I want a corridor where I could fly at 10,000 feet from DFW to Houston to Austin to San Antonia and then from DFW via lubbuck to Tucson/Phoenix.

I want southern Nevada connecting CA to Arizona  and Reno joining with CA.. otherwise I do not care for the other 75% of NEvada. and then Arizona to Denver via Utah. 

IF I could buy tiles of megascenerry that would be my option instead of installing 6-7 states. 

IF PCAviator sells these corridor package.... connecting Denver to CA and Devver to Arizona (Phoenix),.. Hint Hint PCAviator... DFW to Oklohama, DFW/Houston to Miami (coastal) ....   An east coast corridor from Tampa to NY City/Washington DC .  then I would buy these corridor package. This involves just creative  product packaging!  :smile:

Look at some common VFR  routes filed  and then build those corridors since 90% of the time thats what I do, I am flying from one place of interest (an addon aiport) to another. If I want to go criss cross from random point to another in a particular state, I would have a choice to buy the entire state... which is what I have the entire state of CA.

Manny

I fully understand and kinda agree on the file sizes, but that is where the compression comes in handy with resample exe. I have 4 TB externals i keep photoscenery on, not to mention the 2 TB drives I keep source data on and they are getting full, but I so enjoy photoscenery that it's a no brainer for me.

the problem with corridor type packages is you really have to put the time and effort in to match AND blend the photoscenery with the default or it really stands out, I know, have tried and done it many times.

I have all of TX on my short list and if these new city packages are well done and more complete, then I am there. Always wanted to fly cross country in FS with realistic scenery. I have flown in San Antonio, Austin and Houston for real, would love to make these destinations in FS.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Corridor sections might as well do the whole state. Lower 48 state size is 1.5tb, but cities at higher resolution is better idea, but some cities it will work fine. Chicago and Minneapolis tend to sprawl not as easy with multiple states are involved. Chicago-Rockford-Racine-Gray or Minneapolis-St.Could-Rochester. Phoenix and

Vegas city would work better as urban is

compact do not connect to other cities urban

area.

Could work fine in western states but midwestern and northeastern states not so much.

I too got the email of this today and thought "Yeeha" then realized that again, we're talking no autogen, which for a cityscape just doesn't cut it.

Shame, MSE are just going overdrive on releasing new photo products, but just aren't getting it, that what a large proportion of their customers are asking for, is an autogen solution, or at least a part 3D solution.

Personally, I don't want blankett autogen for MSE regions, but I do want autogen and / or 3D objects close to all (or most) airfields in the region.      The take-off / landing weakness in MSE is what has led me to uninstall the whole lot, after buying 8 states. :(

Just cannot get away with taking off with no 3D objects.     What we need is 3D trees, shrubs, buildings etc for about 1 mile around each airport.

Boston city is annouced for tomorrow's release.

Although its priced for $20, you can get it for $10 if you purchase it tomorrow. (first 7 days)

Pricing
All Ultra-Res Cities are going to be priced at just $19.95. At under $20 we feel our customers will be able to add a substantial number of their favorite cities without breaking the bank.

Product Launch Promotional Price
Also, the celebrate the launch of our first Ultra-Res City, we are going to be offering a 40% discount for the first 7 days. Also since tomorrow is our customary weekly 10% off Tuesday, if you order tomorrow you will get 50% off. So Boston will cost you just $9.97 if you order tomorrow, $11.97 between 8 and 14 October and then $19.95 thereafter.

I am skipping it since I don't have autogens for this (BOSTON) city

DFW or Reno or Phoenix or LasVegas or LA or San Diego or SFO I can use the old Autogens.

Not sure if we would get O'ahu at this resoluition. That would be awesome.,.,.

Manny

Hi folks,

Correct. no autogen on the Ultra-Res City packs. Like the MSE state and country regions, we tried adding some autogen to the product to see how it looks, and honestly, in our opinion at least, it detracted from the high-res imagery and didn't really look that good at all. (Again, this is our opinion). With the Ultra-Res city packs, we didn't want to cover up any of the imagery at all, given the advantages that the increased resolution offers in a photoreal package.

We understand the lack of autogen will not suit every virtual pilots flying style of course.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

I will be getting many of them.  Not Boston though.  I don't like Autogen.  It's so fake (plus it requires a massive amount of rendering depending on your slider).  I do like seeing trees though but then most are not realistic either as they are massive in comparison to the scenery (i.e., buildings around them).  This is the real stuff albeit not great when you are landing at most airports but I'm a flight sim pilot and don't have time to be looking at the scenery as I'm landing or taking off.  Flying into FSDT airports though is nice.  You see?  I'm one who likes the real stuff!!  Somebody has to do it!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well said Jim, I also like the real stuff.  I only wish they would use some night textures like UTX.

regards, Jason

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I only wish they would use some night textures like UTX.

Well, that e-mail said that's coming up next (as freeware).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I posted up this quickie video I made of MSE Ultra City - Boston (posted in Video forum also).

For $10.17 purchase, I think you MSE folks pulled it off for Boston ... it does look amazing.  BTW, the city buildings remain intact, so there are some 3D objects still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bvSih0ztE  - be sure to watch this in Original HD (2560 x 1600) if you can, full screen.  It'll stress your bandwidth at 2GB files size (compressed down from 15GB original recording) for only 2:50 mins (so about 100Mbps/sec).  Frame rates were unaffected by the HiRes (60-70 fps).

Rob.

My feelings are mixed. The city looks impressive; especially the fidelity of the roads, but I did not find suburbia Boston to be a significant improvement over 2.0; some places looked better - others worse, especially coastal zones. Southern NH looks notably worse than its 2.0 counterpart IMO. See my first set of screenies in my other post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423249-megasceneryearth-cities-ultrares-meh/#entry2822249

Looks great Rob. Can't wait for Phoenix, las Vegas, and Los Angeles.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.