Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Serious issue with ATI and Steves DX10 fix? Tears and Spikes everywhere

Yorgus, its hard to tell from your description what you did or how many times your tried to repeat it to rule out simple coincidence.

All the symptoms your report appear to be related to vertex buffer corruption between the FSX DX10 engine and the GPU. I.e the GPU is using either a corrupted vertex buffer or one that is being updated.

DX10SceneryFixer lacks any access to the graphics device from within FSX and on the GPU its only involvement is inside shaders which are tightly controlled and receive individual vertexes as inputs. Therefore it seems very unlikely to have anything to do with your issue.

The first thing to do would be to eliminate other factors that might effects the stability of your system such as OCs. Then make sure that you have disabled or removed any addons that are actually involved in the graphics APIs.

Go to this thread and make sure that you have no bits of EMB, FXAA or SweetFx installed.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422730-i-need-help-fsx-doesnt-start-in-dx10/#entry2816540

Then do a number if flights in DX10 Preview mode and assess the stability of the system.

Then install DX10Secenery Fixer and install the libraries but do not enable reflections or effects. Before running FSX deselect all 5 shaders (which means that there are no DX10SF modifications to shaders running on the GPU).

Carry out some flights to assess stability. If problems occur at this stage, the power the system off leave for a few minutes and power on and try the test again to rule out temperature, or effects involving the time the GPU has been running.

Then enable the shaders one at a time (so only one is enabled) and repeat the tests.

Then turn on all the shaders and test.

Then report back.

Thank you very much for your help. You have no idea how much it means to have some assistance in this....It is taking over my life lol.

I just finished doing everything you have said....First with an uninstall and no overclocking.....with 2 driver versions.....tears, spikes and artifacts still there even with the fix uninstalled now.

I even uninstalled MSI Afterburn and only have RadeonPro now installed......I also tried a fresh FSX.CFG and nothing.... I also tried REX unchecking DX10 effects maybe do to some interference...is there anything else I can do :( ? I have done literally every possible troubleshoot POSSIBLE.....maybe you can tell me some directories that I should make sure that no interference is being created...

I did however have Magoisoft Shader installed.  I uninstalled it but maybe there is some spill over on some files? Thats all i can pretty much think of.....

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Really? My 660ti sucked in FSX. Could not take heavy weather at big airports. My 7970 rocks FSX in DX9. The problem discussed here is DX10 mode is not playing nice.

If he moves to nvidia to fix DX10 here he'll need a GTX680. Which is fine too. Great card.

To the OP I went back to DX9. Experimenting still in DX10 and hope to find a fix.

C.

Agree.

In DX9 I am getting dream performance from my 7850 2GB; it really is an awesome card in DX9;  no slow down in clouds, it laughs at high AA settings, and it has no problems with BP=0 on my system............. but..... all the above applies to DX9.  

Where DX10 is concerned; I too got to the point of pulling my hair out, after getting Steve's excellent DX10 Fixer and being determined to get things cooking in DX10.         But it gets to the point of thinking;  you know what?  this is supposed to be about enjoyment, a hobby.   And also thinking, if DX9 is running this well (PMDG T7 at OMDB with high settings, 45 FPS and no OOMs), why go through the pain, just to say you have DX10.

When I got the DX10 Fixer initially, I did get some amazing results with lighter-resource (frame rate friendly) aircraft....  but I am not prepared to keep swapping back and forward, and DX10 with ATI and complex add-ons could not even get close to the performance of DX9.

Perhaps ATI cards just aren't cut out for DX10.       But it is possible to get great results, performance and visuals with DX9 and ATI. 

I hope so....im on the way home to test different versions again....going to 13.1 and then 13.9.....hard to find a good rolledback official driver these days! Lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free

EDIT -> I missed Steve's response above. I'll leave my reply in tact anyway.

In DX9, 13.9 and 13.10 will FETAL ERROR on EXIT with FSX. I have reported this to AMD through their driver feedback system. 13.10 BETA seemed fine in DX10 and I could EXIT FSX no problem but in DX9. Splat. Faulting Module is an ATI file I cant remember the name of. Copied and pasted the error details for AMD support. Not sure they will do anything for FSX right away. So for DX9 I am back to 13.4.

I still need to test DX10 mode without Steve's DX10 tool installed to ensure this is not a shader in his Fixer that is being naughty with ATI and second... What about dropping my CPU clock to 4.0. Spikes for me in the past were always related to CPU pushing too hard up my GPU's Wazzoooo! However. BP=0 is really cool in DX9 with 7900 series cards! As smooth as DX10 all day long and I get no spikes.

Another test is 13.10 BETA driver in DX10. Will it still get spikes?

NOTE: When going back and forth with drivers... Use the AMD Catalyst tool in the Control Panel Programs and choose complete uninstall all AMD products and then restart. Then install the new driver. Best practice.

Away this weekend so cant test myself for now.

Charles.

Agree.

In DX9 I am getting dream performance from my 7850 2GB; it really is an awesome card in DX9;  no slow down in clouds, it laughs at high AA settings, and it has no problems with BP=0 on my system............. but..... all the above applies to DX9.  

Where DX10 is concerned; I too got to the point of pulling my hair out, after getting Steve's excellent DX10 Fixer and being determined to get things cooking in DX10.         But it gets to the point of thinking;  you know what?  this is supposed to be about enjoyment, a hobby.   And also thinking, if DX9 is running this well (PMDG T7 at OMDB with high settings, 45 FPS and no OOMs), why go through the pain, just to say you have DX10.

When I got the DX10 Fixer initially, I did get some amazing results with lighter-resource (frame rate friendly) aircraft....  but I am not prepared to keep swapping back and forward, and DX10 with ATI and complex add-ons could not even get close to the performance of DX9.

Perhaps ATI cards just aren't cut out for DX10.       But it is possible to get great results, performance and visuals with DX9 and ATI. 

Truth is that ATI cards are great in DX10 .... in other titles. And DX11 as well. I know because I play other games with ATI no problem. But my main thing is FSX. This could be something to do with forcing Super Sample AA with FSX's DX10 engine. Hard to say.

And testing continues... But when I do fly to fly, I fly in DX9.

DX11 mode with P3D 2.0 should be interesting. Wonder if that will gong out.

C.

I also have this issue with a 79703gb saphire 1050mhz edition. I am not saying that i dont have this issue anymore but i have not had it since i deleted the treshold and autogen and trees pr cell and using bufferpools=0. DENCE Autogen tbm=120 lod 4.5 ccc 13.4. I can send my fsx.cfg on sunday if you like.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I also have this issue with a 79703gb saphire 1050mhz edition. I am not saying that i dont have this issue anymore but i have not had it since i deleted the treshold and autogen and trees pr cell and using bufferpools=0. DENCE Autogen tbm=120 lod 4.5 ccc 13.4. I can send my fsx.cfg on sunday if you like.

Michael Moe

Please!

Micheal Moore,

Did you install Steves DX10 Fix?

Or generally in DX 10 does this happen to you?

Sent from SGH-I747M

ELB729.png

PMDG T7 at OMDB with high settings, 45 FPS and no OOMs

Umm....mind if i have a look at ur settings? Or simply tell me some RadeonPro settings and other settings/tweaks that got you there....id get over DX10 a lot faster if i could get a constant 45frames in that area with maxed out stuff.....UTX, GEX, REX, Genisis Meshes aswell etc

ELB729.png

Micheal Moore,Did you install Steves DX10 Fix?Or generally in DX 10 does this happen to you?Sent from SGH-I747M

I have the fixer . I dont think i remember when it started but i think it was before the fixer. Had the problem on first flight with the 777

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Umm....mind if i have a look at ur settings? Or simply tell me some RadeonPro settings and other settings/tweaks that got you there....id get over DX10 a lot faster if i could get a constant 45frames in that area with maxed out stuff.....UTX, GEX, REX, Genisis Meshes aswell etc

I have the same cpu is impossible with all the controls to the maximum to get 45 FPS constant, I have it bound at 27 and is very fluid my GPU is ATI 6990 4 gb

.id get over DX10 a lot faster if i could get a constant 45frames in that area with maxed out stuff.....UTX, GEX, REX, Genisis Meshes aswell etc[/quote]

You're running a 4, or 4.4-gig proc, Yorgos:

When you get those "over 45 frames" - please - publish your full FSX and GPU control settings, along with all of your hardware vendor info, drivers, etc., and OS type and optimization settings, as I don't get those frames - constant frames - nor even 30 constant frames, and I don't know anyone else that does.

In fact I don't believe anyone does, as no-one here is satisfied with default graphics, aircraft, scenery, cities, mesh, weather, AI, AA, clouds, shadowing......  

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Did a 2 hours testflight ESSA-EFHK in the ngx last night. No problem. 25 min VFR in London using FTXGlobal on Dense same no problems in 1500- 2000feet in the orbx lancair locked 30fps landing in uk 2000 EGLL

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I have the same exact problem, and I have the same hardware (ATI 7970 black edition 3G/1T), and software.  I don't OC.  Software is Win7Ult/+FSX/A, Radeon Pro, Orbx FSX Go. (I am building my RP and FG profiles following forum advice, but still get spikes/yikes)  I am hoping this gets figured out eventually.  

I have had long flights with no spikes.  But then later flights do have them.  Sometimes a little bit, sometimes a lot.  

Spikes are caused by memory starvation.  You are asking your CPU/GPU to render things faster than your system has the capability of rendering.  High settings cause this.  Some of it is Autogen trying to pop up in the distance and you just have too much Autogen to render in the distance so you start seeing spikes.  In some cases, spikes can be eliminated by setting your fps limiter to 30.  Any BufferPool setting can cause this anomaly too if it is not set properly for your system configuration.  What I mean by this is that a BufferPool setting does not work the same for everyone (it would be nice if that were the case).  I would comment out any Bufferpool tweak in your fsx.cfg and see if that fixes the problem.  There is a lot of information on various flightsim websites regarding graphic spikes (I used the search terms - graphic spikes fsx). 

The longer your flights, the more likely you will get spikes as you are running out of VAS (Virtual Address Space).  Lowering your fsx settings will help increase the amount of VAS available near the end of long flights.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Spikes are caused by memory starvation. You are asking your CPU/GPU to render things faster than your system has the capability of rendering. High settings cause this. Some of it is Autogen trying to pop up in the distance and you just have too much Autogen to render in the distance so you start seeing spikes. In some cases, spikes can be eliminated by setting your fps limiter to 30. Any BufferPool setting can cause this anomaly too if it is not set properly for your system configuration. What I mean by this is that a BufferPool setting does not work the same for everyone (it would be nice if that were the case). I would comment out any Bufferpool tweak in your fsx.cfg and see if that fixes the problem. There is a lot of information on various flightsim websites regarding graphic spikes (I used the search terms - graphic spikes fsx).

The longer your flights, the more likely you will get spikes as you are running out of VAS (Virtual Address Space). Lowering your fsx settings will help increase the amount of VAS available near the end of long flights.

Best regards,

Ive tried everything to do with BP and autogen density.....even with literally no settings maxed these r still here.....its a ATI DX10 issue :( i have tried everything! I am not giving up lol we will figure this out.....waiting for Steve to look into it a little i hope he'll work some magic. Ill continue to troubleshoot....

P.s all my Oc Settings r factory for the moment to eliminate that option

• Upvote 1

ELB729.png