Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Serious issue with ATI and Steves DX10 fix? Tears and Spikes everywhere

Right now i have reloaded from last saved position KLAX-LFPG and put rejectTreshold=262544 in as a test but i can see now that the load on the GPU has increased from 30% to around 80-99% ? all the time

Is this correct ?

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

After almost 4 HOURS KLAX-LFPG as AFR69 i got the corrupted textures again in the PMDG 777 even at Normal Autogen and Usepools=1

URK!! What poolsize do you recommend or rejecttreshold ?

I don't know. I have never flown that long in FSX or a real plane. I would need a bathroom. LOL

I have no Pools in my config. Is this perhaps an OOM in the making? Have you been tracking VAS to see? Or do you have the VAS limit alarm in FSUIPC enabled?

Charles.

Right now i have reloaded from last saved position KLAX-LFPG and put rejectTreshold=262544 in as a test but i can see now that the load on the GPU has increased from 30% to around 80-99% ? all the time

Is this correct ?

I only see that kind of GPU load if I use 8xAA in the fixer. I will load my PMDG JS41 at LFPG and see with some semi cloudy weather and so on.

TESTED - With 4xAA in Fixer it never went over 60% for me... However. I got spikes almost 2 minutes after take off from LFPG. What a dense AG place that is! Great testing zone with the heaviest model in FSX... The JS41. Now I have a repeatable test and I will play with reject threshold.

As a side note I am testing AMD BETA driver 13.11 in DX10 here. I know FSX DX9 will crash with it so I am not going to bother. I did not back up my atiumdag.dll file from 13.4 to put in the FSX root for DX9. I always forget! Darnit.

C.

I don't know. I have never flown that long in FSX or a real plane. I would need a bathroom. LOL

I have no Pools in my config. Is this perhaps an OOM in the making? Have you been tracking VAS to see? Or do you have the VAS limit alarm in FSUIPC enabled?

Charles.

I only see that kind of GPU load if I use 8xAA in the fixer. I will load my PMDG JS41 at LFPG and see with some semi cloudy weather and so on.

TESTED - With 4xAA in Fixer it never went over 60% for me... However. I got spikes almost 2 minutes after take off from LFPG. What a dense AG place that is! Great testing zone with the heaviest model in FSX... The JS41. Now I have a repeatable test and I will play with reject threshold.

As a side note I am testing AMD BETA driver 13.11 in DX10 here. I know FSX DX9 will crash with it so I am not going to bother. I did not back up my atiumdag.dll file from 13.4 to put in the FSX root for DX9. I always forget! Darnit.

C.

The Vas is about 2.8gb and no where near the limit. The GPU sits at 80-99 % at FL360 with unlimited FPS. Locked 30 fps and it will make it drop to 25-30%.

I believe more and more Steves comment that it is a combination of the driver and the broken code in FSX. hard working trying to find the sweet spot it is...

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

The Vas is about 2.8gb and no where near the limit. The GPU sits at 80-99 % at FL360 with unlimited FPS. Locked 30 fps and it will make it drop to 25-30%.

I believe more and more Steves comment that it is a combination of the driver and the broken code in FSX. hard working trying to find the sweet spot it is...

Ahh.... Well with 4xAA in the fixer, and following Paul's advise, I added this to FSX.CFG

[bufferPools]

RejectThreshold=131072

I flew CYYJ - CYVR - CYPK - CYNJ and back in the Duke 2.0 and no issues. Only an hour flying though so not sure about 4 hour flights in PMDG over heavy weather. But for my use this is good.

Quick test with 8xAA and I was at 80%+ GPU usage and in 10 minutes some spikes started to appear. I guess if you want 8xSSAA in cloudy weather with lots of autogen around, you need more than a $350 card.  

Either get a GTX780 ($650) or waiting to see pricing and availability on the new upcoming R9 290 and 290X. Preliminary benchies on 290X having it ahead of the GTX780 and pricing rumored to match. Well see. Another 2 weeks and we will know. If a price war ensues, even better. We might all be getting GTX780's and R9 290X's for XMAS closer to $500.

Charles.

I am selling my 7950! im going to go to an nVidea.....simming is a big part of my life and i think its time i stop these tests and just get out there and grab a very good nVidea GPU. Its a shame! Cuz the 7950 is a tank with everything else....just not fsx :(

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

I am selling my 7950! im going to go to an nVidea.....simming is a big part of my life and i think its time i stop these tests and just get out there and grab a very good nVidea GPU. Its a shame! Cuz the 7950 is a tank with everything else....just not fsx :(

you do not have the ability to purchase first to test and then sell, so you will lose any money but have the possibility to try first

The last 7 hours of the trip was free of spikes and corruption but i had reject threshold = 262144 and Autogen back to normal. Water at low x 2 and 30 fps locked. Very very smooth. I do get OOM every time with the 777 but thats another story.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I'm ok now with mine. Sorry it did not work out for you.

Then get the GTX760 at least. Don't go backwards. Or a grossly overclocked 660Ti. Might find a good deal on a the older 670 even. Not sure where your budget it. I have seen the clearance GTX670's and new GTX760's under $300. :)

But ya. If you can't seem to fix your DX10 experience with your card, I feel your pain. That's where you need to go. Mine's working great so I'm good here. Still not sure I am sticking with DX10 but that's a separate issue. DX9 with BP=0 is perfect and just as smooth. :)

I have both options in any case.

Charles.

Hi Yorgos: I know we got off on the wrong foot, and I'm sorry for that, but you've been in good hands ever since, and you've been a good part of a long and interesting discussion. I do feel, however that when you say something like -

.simming is a big part of my life and i think its time i stop these tests and just get out there and.....etc...

well, it strikes a chord with me, because it's been that way with me too, since about 1949 or '50. It doesn't matter what aircraft, what it's doing, or where - we have to drop what we're doing and look at it, listen to it, and want to be in its left seat... so I want to tell you - I used to be an ATI guy, even as late as 2008, but that last one stayed for less than three months and then went into my wife's pc - and I moved to Nvidia. I've never looked back, and have religiously bought the x80-series GPU for my FSX ever since, letting my 580 go to a fellow Avsimmer in California a couple of months ago. I replaced it with the EVGA GTX 780 from Canada Computers, paying $689 Can. for it. This is how much I feel it's worth, for the experience that it gives me. I have that same euphoric experience day after day, flight after flight. Weather? Hah! LH Maddog? Hah! Seattle? A joke! and so on. It's peace of mind, and never have to worry about any of the issues, such as in this thread, and rarely have the problems, and the heartache, and the aggravation that I see and help other guys with. When you buy low - mid-range - it's always compromise after compromise, and one never finds that "happy place" - that FSX Nirvana. Get the very best you can - not the Titan, by any means, as the performance gain is worth only 20 cents over the 780. I don't normally quote Nick Neeham, either, but one thing we solidly agree on, Yorgos - is this:

Never get any 4th-grade GPU for FSX. Never get any 3rd-grade GPU for FSX. There's a whack of difference between the 780 and the lesser 770 & 760 - especially a 660Ti, and I regard the 770 as very "mid-range" compared to the 780.

All a cheaper card will do, is keep you forever in the realm of "what if?".

If you expect to run FSX for a year or two more - and many of us are still flight-simming after 25 years or more - the best advice I can give you is go for a GTX 780.

Good things are seldom cheap - and cheap things are seldom good. 

Take Care, and "Good Luck",

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Christmas coming up so my wife disagree when i told here that this 3 month 7970GHZ edition is going out for the GTX780 ha ha. Guess i just have to wait to january and do some more testing and gain some points ahead with the wife. I still think this card is a monster and latest test around Paris confirms it.

Loaded a saved flight on ILS26R in LFPG and did a missed approach in 400 feet climbing to 3000 feet for a diversion to LFPO RWY 26 heading east over the center city for Ils line up. Did again a missed approach to 4000 feet left east turn back for landing on 26. This array is BIG BIG wow. FTXG and aerosoft airports

Autogen Dense. Weather 80nm.Very high cloud covering. Treshold =262144 road =10 AI UT2 20%.TML=2048.Almost 50 minutes in the 777 PMDG and 2 400 sec replay with no issues. Nice

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Christmas coming up so my wife disagree when i told here that this 3 month 7970GHZ edition is going out for the GTX780 ha ha. Guess i just have to wait to january and do some more testing and gain some points ahead with the wife. I still think this card is a monster and latest test around Paris confirms it.

Loaded a saved flight on ILS26R in LFPG and did a missed approach in 400 feet climbing to 3000 feet for a diversion to LFPO RWY 26 heading east over the center city for Ils line up. Did again a missed approach to 4000 feet left east turn back for landing on 26. This array is BIG BIG wow. FTXG and aerosoft airports

Autogen Dense. Weather 80nm.Very high cloud covering. Treshold =262144 road =10 AI UT2 20%.TML=2048.Almost 50 minutes in the 777 PMDG and 2 400 sec replay with no issues. Nice

Very nice. I am sure after 4 hours in PMDG, a person will see spikes. Even many nVidia users I am betting. FSX inn a nut shell. I have seen the same complaint from an nVidia user here and there. My GTX660ti did it in TongassX all that time if I had the sliders too high. Such is life.

I think that, while we all want $650 video cards, it's about priorities. I am spending my money on real flying and FSX takes a back seat. Or... a right seat. I use it alot and I am happy with my results! A little tweaking here and there does not bother me. Almost a hobby in and of itself. And again. FSX in it's original state feels like it was made for my card. DX9 I mean. With BP=0, the 7970 rips it up! At least matching the GTX680's I know of.

I think there is nothing wrong with the $350 cards (7970/R9280X/GTX680/GTX770) for FSX if you manage the settings. I know we all want maxed out sliders but almost maxed is fine for me. 

Shoot. Even Titan can be brought to it's knees. That France Flight with 2 (3000 foot thick) layers of Overcast using 8xS+4xSGSS (perfect AA) will be low fps and stutters galore. Word Not Allowed has tried.

I still daydream... What will an R9 290 do with P3D v2.0 being DX11? The R9 290X is already performing between 780 and titan and priced at 780 levels. A war is coming. nVidia just announced the GTX770Ti to answer the R9 280X @ $299 (tweaked 7970 Ghz Edition). November is going to be interesting. ORBX releasing OpenLC and Vector. New ATI cards. Price war. P3D v 2.0. 

Yummy!

C.

I still daydream... What will an R9 290 do with P3D v2.0 being DX11? The R9 290X is already performing between 780 and titan and priced at 780 levels. A war is coming. nVidia just announced the GTX770Ti to answer the R9 280X @ $299 (tweaked 7970 Ghz Edition). November is going to be interesting. ORBX releasing OpenLC and Vector. New ATI cards. Price war. P3D v 2.0. 

Yummy!

:lol:   All true, Charles - priorities, but one can still prevent those spikes, by tuning the BufferPools, plus one or two other things lowered in the fsx.cfg - not talking about the IQ part - just the control - the "throttles" over the graphics pipeline.. If that fails as is obvious from some of the above posts, then it's time for a faster card - and/or one with greater memory. Spikes only occur 1). when there isn't sufficient space for static buffers - BP=0 - or 2). the buffers are simply overloaded because the GPU can't process the data fast enough with either 0 or 1, without an unacceptable lowering of IQ..

The first case can be managed with BP=1 and some tested RT setting, and maybe a change to a larger buffer - i.e. 10  MB instead of the default 8 MB. The second case can be managed by rolling back graphics settings (and expectations) until spiking stops - or moving to a faster GPU with larger memory.

All is compromise, and as you say, Charles - right now FSX can even stop a Titan - and will no doubt stop the R-series.....  :lol:

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Yorgos: I know we got off on the wrong foot, and I'm sorry for that, but you've been in good hands ever since, and you've been a good part of a long and interesting discussion. I do feel, however that when you say something like -

well, it strikes a chord with me, because it's been that way with me too, since about 1949 or '50. It doesn't matter what aircraft, what it's doing, or where - we have to drop what we're doing and look at it, listen to it, and want to be in its left seat... so I want to tell you - I used to be an ATI guy, even as late as 2008, but that last one stayed for less than three months and then went into my wife's pc - and I moved to Nvidia. I've never looked back, and have religiously bought the x80-series GPU for my FSX ever since, letting my 580 go to a fellow Avsimmer in California a couple of months ago. I replaced it with the EVGA GTX 780 from Canada Computers, paying $689 Can. for it. This is how much I feel it's worth, for the experience that it gives me. I have that same euphoric experience day after day, flight after flight. Weather? Hah! LH Maddog? Hah! Seattle? A joke! and so on. It's peace of mind, and never have to worry about any of the issues, such as in this thread, and rarely have the problems, and the heartache, and the aggravation that I see and help other guys with. When you buy low - mid-range - it's always compromise after compromise, and one never finds that "happy place" - that FSX Nirvana. Get the very best you can - not the Titan, by any means, as the performance gain is worth only 20 cents over the 780. I don't normally quote Nick Neeham, either, but one thing we solidly agree on, Yorgos - is this:

Never get any 4th-grade GPU for FSX. Never get any 3rd-grade GPU for FSX. There's a whack of difference between the 780 and the lesser 770 & 760 - especially a 660Ti, and I regard the 770 as very "mid-range" compared to the 780.

All a cheaper card will do, is keep you forever in the realm of "what if?".

If you expect to run FSX for a year or two more - and many of us are still flight-simming after 25 years or more - the best advice I can give you is go for a GTX 780.

Good things are seldom cheap - and cheap things are seldom good. 

Take Care, and "Good Luck",

All the Best,

pj

Well stated Paul.  I have the same sentiments.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thought the topic could use a couple of succes images :-) while we still test .

I have noticed sometimes small black squares can pop up for a millisecond or so but only on my right side of the aircraft when looking in the VC or on the right outside view of the aircraft. Might be a coinsident but i have seen it 2 or three times today. Might be something with EZCA? Anyway Paris and Orly below in the PMDG 777

6c2y.jpg

83ex.jpg

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Hi Michael - I had success in removing those by increasing [Terrain] SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT from 1 to 3. I'm not 1000% sure it was SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT, (it could have been MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS) - I didn't make a side note at the time, but in checking older fsx.cfgs - in a number of cases SWAP was set to 1.

On a side note - one other DX10'er mentioned he had removed the entry, and the problem had disappeared!

All the Best,

pj