Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Steve, IMPORTANT...please read... and acknowledge

Hello Steve,

Yes, this is the DX10 Fixer forum. Yes, this forum is about a piece of software that you put together, for the purpose of allowing a user to run the DX10 Preview Mode within FSX. Yes, all and true.

Noted.

Steve, there is something very wonderful and a serious, also-happening going on with your product.  It has to be something to do with your product. 

You have read in my 'What's going on here' post that I claim that I am getting (since the install}, the same benefits in DX9, as I had immediately after setting up your program with what I wanted to my spec's, achieved in DX10 Preview Mode;

1. No further CTD's

2. No further O.O.M.'s (with all the same personal flight M.O. and saved flights...no change, whatsoever in what I like...and how I fly....no sir!)

3. Everything working as you claim to promote your Fixer---what it fixes to allow you to run DX10 as a real choice, and the performance gain.

I got all of the above MASSIVE benefits, thanks to your creation.

Now the other drop of the second shoe to the floor;

Steve, I have no motive, or reason to come onto AVSIM, and blatantly LIE or misrepresent myself in my claims that I have all of the aformentioned 'fixes' and sustainable benefits, with running DX9 (the native API of FSX).  I simply have no more CTD's and O.O.M, no matter what saved flight I run, and no matter how many nautical miles or that translated into real-time HOURS of flight.  Your program (the ONLY SINGLE THING ADDED) to my FSX user experience, before realizing that I now have a super stable DX9  FSX performance.  

Steve, I have never, never had this, hence all the tweaking ad nausea, the extreme frustration over being dumped to the desktop, after taking all the real-life requirements in check-lists and procedures, etc....and so many times almost making the decision to dump FSX for good, or KNOW that if I fly it...it will be a 'powder puff' flight...perhaps if I am lucky, 20 minutes before 'the dump'.

All of this has ended.  All of this has ended under DX9, let alone DX10.  Steve, you really need to take me seriously, and get to the bottom of what exactly happened to my setup, ONLY because I installed, and ran your program. I adjusted everything (exploring....trying this...seeing the effect in DX10, blah, blah...and etc...) and then went back to DX9 a few times to, and for curiosity's sake...see what I lost in a scenery, or aircraft, as we know DX10 Preview, is NOT a fully certified and 'sanctioned-to-work' solution for all scenery vendors, and aircraft vendors. We all know that, getting onboard with DX10 and your Fixer.  Well...people should know that...before deciding to test the waters....

But back to DX9.  Yes...DX9.  Steve, no one on AVSIM, or anywhere else will be able to convince me that it was not your program, (for a reason, I can NOT explain at this point in time....) that SOLELY can not be credited, to allow FSX to be run under the DX9 API, and no longer with running under DX9, be the culprit for VAS interaction, that drops you to the desktop because of memory exhaustion. It simply is not happening any more on my system (DX9).  My DX9/FSX experience is totally stable. Totally stable!  

I am running my system with a nVidia GTX680 card, which is under the control of driver suite 314.22 (the last true dedicated and written for, suite for the GTX680.....), I have FSX configured as per my published .cfg file and N.I. files on my 2nd page (I think...) of my 'What's going on here' post....and you can look at what my system is comprised of by clicking on my System Spec under my Handle.  

I just felt compelled once more, to alert you to the fact that something to do with your program's installation on my system, has led to a totally, and hours-into-it, FSX user experience.  I suggest you at least treat my claim for the purpose of exploring what others might say...is simply impossible to achieve by only installing, running, and fiddling around with the settings you allow to target DX10 usage.  Steve...something is happening on a more general level here...and is also affecting DX9.   To put it bluntly, it has FIXED FSX.  I believe until  I see different, is that DX9 (code) and DX10, on some level 'touch' each other for the lack of a better term, and affect perhaps the performance in one way or another, the running of FSX in that mode, either, DX9, or DX10.  

I respectfully encourage you to take my claim of FSX being fixed, once and for all...because my FSX install, only became 100 percent stable (for any length of flight and usage...) after my installation and usage for DX10 interaction.  It's up to you, what you do beyond my claim, but whatever you do, the claim is made, and I am BEYOND HAPPY!  FSX is a very good flight simulation platform. When it runs as rock stable....it is a fantastic flight simulation platform.  Thank you for writing this program, your research into making a preview mode work as best it can....and for the unexplained, but so, so, real...'translation effect' to FSX under the DX9 API, and 100 percent compatibility with 3rd party scenery and air frames.

Please...take this claim seriously....for the benefits and realizations are massive not only to myself, but anybody else that might end up with a 'fixed' DX9 FSX platform, regardless of whether they choose to still run under a DX10 Preview Mode.

Thank you for your time to read, and thank YOU..for good, bad, or indifferent, what has been achieved to my FSX install...and enjoyment of use.... since installing, running, and using your DX10 interface product.  It has given me what I have always wanted....a fully running, and stable Microsoft Flight Simulator v10 , and absolutely no further need to devote my time to tweaks, and twacks, and forever chasing the driver suite upgrade game. All of that is now done, and over with....  

A huge Cheers!

Mitch

I am thinking about starting a fan club for Mitch's posts!

I am thinking about starting a fan club for Mitch's posts!

(smile......)

Trying to 'pay it forward'...

Cheers!

I can confirm Mitch's findings regarding the FPS and having bloom working in DX9.  

I set up FSX with the DX-10 Fixer and most is working great.  I then simply went to the DX-10 Fixer and switched it back to DX9, but not touching any of the other settings.

I then booted up FSX and selected my default flight and when it started to load, I noticed that my resolution had been changed to a lower one.  No problem.  Once the flight came up, I went to the settings and selected the 1080 x32.  I also checked to see that Bloom was still selected, which it was.

I then flew the airplane (A2A Cessna) and noticed that even though bloom was set on, I was still getting 30 FPS in REX clouds.  That was never possible before the DX-10 Fixer. 

The only negatives that I noticed on my system was that the FPS would fluctuate more than when in DX-10.  Also, I was getting some delay with the ground textures loading (getting the black boxes that used to be the FSX logo before Steve's fix.)

I can't comment on the lack of OOM and other issues, as I haven't flown enough to confirm a fix, in that regard.

But I can confirm that Mitch is definitely right regarding the bloom effect not giving that heavy FPS hit that it used to do in DX9.

i7qs.jpg

Alexander Alonso

I can confirm Mitch's findings regarding the FPS and having bloom working in DX9.  

I set up FSX with the DX-10 Fixer and most is working great.  I then simply went to the DX-10 Fixer and switched it back to DX9, but not touching any of the other settings.

I then booted up FSX and selected my default flight and when it started to load, I noticed that my resolution had been changed to a lower one.  No problem.  Once the flight came up, I went to the settings and selected the 1080 x32.  I also checked to see that Bloom was still selected, which it was.

I then flew the airplane (A2A Cessna) and noticed that even though bloom was set on, I was still getting 30 FPS in REX clouds.  That was never possible before the DX-10 Fixer. 

The only negatives that I noticed on my system was that the FPS would fluctuate more than when in DX-10.  Also, I was getting some delay with the ground textures loading (getting the black boxes that used to be the FSX logo before Steve's fix.)

I can't comment on the lack of OOM and other issues, as I haven't flown enough to confirm a fix, in that regard.

But I can confirm that Mitch is definitely right regarding the bloom effect not giving that heavy FPS hit that it used to do in DX9.

i7qs.jpg

***Bingo***   Also, now enjoy your CTD and OOM-Free sessions....another Easter Egg.....

Mitch

I hate to be the devil's advocate - but I've not had any of the experiences that you two claim to have had since installing the fixer. DX9 is the same as it ever was, it's only affected DX10 for me.... Perhaps its something particular to your set-ups that is common?

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I hate to be the devil's advocate - but I've not had any of the experiences that you two claim to have had since installing the fixer. DX9 is the same as it ever was, it's only affected DX10 for me.... Perhaps its something particular to your set-ups that is common?

Hi James,

From day one, we on AVSIM, all acknowledge that each system, the settings, the software upon that system in combination, etc...will give people different mileage to be sure. The best we can do, is to comment upon what 'this or that' has done for the positive, or negative as regards the use of any flight simulator package.  Then, the reader can see if what the poster claims, can also be duplicated on their system, with the same results. As you can see, a few others have explored my topic and have also found stable DX10'esque FPS performance and stability along the same flight path as what I traveled. The nice aspect of this find, is that it totally removes the Placebo Effect, as FPS with running Bloom under DX9 can NOT lie, or appear as a Jedi Mind Placebo Trick. The FPS are either there, or they are not. On my system, prior to my Easter Egg 'find', DX9 with Bloom, produced around 12-18 FPS during the flight. Not acceptable for my requirements. After installing Mr. Steve's product, adjusting it, using it, DX10 'ing with it..and then dropping back to DX9 by use of it, DX9, with Bloom stayed at the DX10 FPS performance level, which on my system translates to 27-30 FPS, continuous in  97 percent of all scene rendering. It has stayed that way ever since, with my not taking away, or adding to the settings and present driver suite (nVidia 314.22) in use.The enhanced DX9 performance is there, or it is not.  I can only suggest that you try to mimic my settings as close as you can in my published FSX.cfg and N.I. file. You can find them on around page 1 or 2 of my 'What's Going On Here' original thread.

Cheers!

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I will give it a try over the weekend - would be interesting to see if I too can verify your claims. If the fixer really has edited something within the DX9 part then it really is cause for celebration!

I'll report back next week with what I find!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Hi Mitch,

I will give it a try over the weekend - would be interesting to see if I too can verify your claims. If the fixer really has edited something within the DX9 part then it really is cause for celebration!

I'll report back next week with what I find!

James, good go!  Stick with it, and play around.  I never purchased the program with any intent other than to get, in a more stable DX10, the performance I would wish to have had in DX9.  This was TOTALLY an Easter Egg moment, lol.   I'm sure that (with each unique system, there are out there, including yours...) that you will be ABLE to make this work for you. It's a hard fact that I, and others have seen this phenomena , and I can't image that systems across the board over the last 4 years, could NOT see some result of this, by any road that it takes to 'get there' ,FPS wise...  Good luck, and crossing my fingers for ya....  :)

Oh, a Post Edit moment, here:   Since installing and claiming my results, I have had no further CTD or OOM issues. In fact...last night, I did a four hour continuous usage of FSX...TRYING to create an incident...pushing it right up against the wall....continually changing flights, planes, airports, bringing up my saved flights...and COULD NOT induce a CTD or OOM even though I was in fact actively TRYING TO!  Rock solid, lock and load...FSX is fixed for me, and if someone were to tell me even a month ago, how this could be possibly achieved by their post such as what I posted...., well...er...I would have snickered and had a good belly laugh. Oh yeah....snake oil for sure...placebo for sure...

Guess what?  I would have eaten Crow in fast order.......and crow tastes like....you know....!

Just a short one: did you by chance delete the FSX.cfg BEFORE you installed the DX10 fixer? Could you please specify a little bit more on what you did exactly to run your FSX with the fixer? What "tweaks" did you (or do you) have in your FSX.cfg now? Thank you.

regards

Chris

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Just a short one: did you by chance delete the FSX.cfg BEFORE you installed the DX10 fixer? Could you please specify a little bit more on what you did exactly to run your FSX with the fixer? What "tweaks" did you (or do you) have in your FSX.cfg now? Thank you.

regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

No, I have never deleted my .cfg file as my normal M.O.  It was the same .cfg file before and after the install. I then ran the program, studied what was there, what was available to tweak, did some box checks of what features I wanted to run DX10 Preview Mode, stuff like that, and then ran FSX in Preview Mode. I saw the immediate corrections and performance of running in DX10 Preview. Over the next couple of days, my curiosity got to me...and so started to use the flip/flop button on Steve's program. I then studied my .cfg and found that the program had installed those two lines used for AA under Graphic Section  I deleted those lines BEFORE running in DX9 mode again, and also imported back my prior saved N.I. (for DX9 mode) cfg file. I then ran FSX under DX9 and discovered what I have been posting about ever since.  You can find my  .cfg files on page one or two of my WHAT IS GOING ON HERE post.  That has NOT been touched in any way, let me assure you!!!!!   I also in fact, did an immediate system image and put it out to my USB drive.  Because I had everything turned on, inside FSX, I did not have to touch a thing, when having gone back to DX9. I have no intention whatsoever, of ever again going into FSX and making any further feature adjustments, no manual editing of my present FSX.cfg file, nor my N.I. file. Basically, I now have a simply rock-solid FSX, with every feature you'd want running prime and wide open, except for Clouds set to 70 miles (OPUS fills out to the horizon, even at this setting), but then, if you study my .cfg file, it will display to you everything I have as set, and at what level....as it 'rats you out', lol. Same goes for my posted N.I. file.  So Chris to recap:  No prior set up or changes to my system and FSX before I purchased, downloaded, and installed the Fix. Ran the Fix. Played around with the FIx, Ran FSX in Preview Mode.  Went back and forth between DX10 and DX9 via the Fix. Did not touch one thing in the Fix when having done so.Looked at my FSX.cfg file and manually deleted the two AA lines the Fix places in the Graphics Section. Saved the .cfg file in the Text Window. Ran FSX the first time since having had DX9 showing in the Fix mask, and found that I had to go back to my rez setting. Did not touch any other settings in FSX. That is the only thing you need to do within FSX..is go back to whatever setting you had for screen rez. For myself, it was the highest setting allowed under 32 bit.  That's it. Again both my non-altered FSX.cfg and N.I. files are there in my WHAT IS GOING ON HERE post on either page one or two for you to study, and perhaps mimic.

Mitch

Well, that's nice to see. So I will give it a try as well and report back. You did not by chance use the FS water configurator tool for your FS9 setup? I wonder, if I have to get rid of those adapted water shaders before installing the DX10 fixer...

You said somewhere that you had to adjust your N.I. settings for DX10. Did you also revert those back when switching back to DX9? I am sorry for all those questions, but I am somehow lost in all your posts about this thing :lol: Would be glad if you put somewhere kind of a guide for other users, at least if me and others proof you right. Could be an eyeopener for everyone using FSX here, really nice find.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I've not had any of the experiences that you two claim to have had since installing the fixer.

Me either. Hate to say it Mitch but at this point I don't believe you can say as a blanket statement that the DX10 fixer is an improvement to FSX performance under DX9.

Maybe I'm just being sceptical but I'll be sitting on the fence with this one unless a lot more than 2 people come out and confirm this is the case.

But so long as its working for you Mitch, go forth and enjoy FSX.

Me either. Hate to say it Mitch but at this point I don't believe you can say as a blanket statement that the DX10 fixer is an improvement to FSX performance under DX9.

Maybe I'm just being sceptical but I'll be sitting on the fence with this one unless a lot more than 2 people come out and confirm this is the case.

But so long as its working for you Mitch, go forth and enjoy FSX.

Well, my blanket statement...is still that FSX can be 'fixed'.  Ant, the code is broken.  It does not, out of the box run under DX9 like it should.  I just came back to post, that I am now running under a LOD of 7.5, for an hour, and  still can't push FSX now to its knees!  Incredible!  Two weeks ago...this was a fantasy, and pipe dream. I will perhaps modify to only say that on some systems out there in the thousands...it might be a lottery of sorts..but can you have FSX running like a champ?  YES!  Yes you can..... but just not by what would seem the logical path...or convetional means. It has to be through a back door.... :)  

Watching this closely.

So, essentially, what you're saying is that I can gain around about 10fps by:

Buying this DX-10 fixer thingy.

Installing it.

Switching on Bloom.

Then switching back to DX9?

Sorry, but I'm not a DX-10'er so I don't really know how all this works.

Aamir Thacker