Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Steve, IMPORTANT...please read... and acknowledge

Well, that's nice to see. So I will give it a try as well and report back. You did not by chance use the FS water configurator tool for your FS9 setup? I wonder, if I have to get rid of those adapted water shaders before installing the DX10 fixer...

You said somewhere that you had to adjust your N.I. settings for DX10. Did you also revert those back when switching back to DX9? I am sorry for all those questions, but I am somehow lost in all your posts about this thing :lol: Would be glad if you put somewhere kind of a guide for other users, at least if me and others proof you right. Could be an eyeopener for everyone using FSX here, really nice find.

Nope...I use only what REX Overdrive adds to the water.  Right now, I'm over the best ocean in the Carib that I have ever seen. Great wave action, and the Bloom effect is certainly highlighting the wave crest peaks...   Gawd...but am I am happy man....this is what FSX should be...and WOW...it CAN BE!  FYI, I'm using REX's 'OH MY' water setting and boy OH MY...is it!  The best wave action I have seen to date, and looks great in the Atlantic Ocean.....back to the flight on pause...

Well, that's nice to see. So I will give it a try as well and report back. You did not by chance use the FS water configurator tool for your FS9 setup? I wonder, if I have to get rid of those adapted water shaders before installing the DX10 fixer...

You said somewhere that you had to adjust your N.I. settings for DX10. Did you also revert those back when switching back to DX9? I am sorry for all those questions, but I am somehow lost in all your posts about this thing :lol: Would be glad if you put somewhere kind of a guide for other users, at least if me and others proof you right. Could be an eyeopener for everyone using FSX here, really nice find.

AnKH, yes...I created a custom DX10 setting to use with that API. I also had my stock DX9 N.I. setting. I saved each, and then just called back to N.I. (imported) for the DX I was going to run with.  Easy as pie....

Watching this closely.

So, essentially, what you're saying is that I can gain around about 10fps by:

Buying this DX-10 fixer thingy.

Installing it.

Switching on Bloom.

Then switching back to DX9?

Sorry, but I'm not a DX-10'er so I don't really know how all this works.

That's what I'm claiming ( without one regard for whether I shall be laughed at, or dismissed as nonsense) from my posted interactions with this progarm. Yessir.   Please read the whole thread, as I feel this is a back-door 'accident' of sorts, and it's a dance with steps to the left, tap once...and then three steps to the right. If you do the 'right dance' sequence, you will 'graduate'.  You'll get DX9 Hybrid Mode.  Joking aside, I switched back and forth about three times between DX10 Preview and DX9, but only by means of Steve's program. Not by unclicking within FSX, and then the necessary reboot of the program. Remember, this 'find' is totally by accident...and was not being looked for, nor could be anticipated.  Is it real?  You bet it is......

Interesting. If this develops further with more people reporting their findings I may have to pick up the DX-10 fixer.

Aamir Thacker

I'm a long time DX10 user because DX9 was like a slide show on the settings I like to use so I'll try flicking back to DX9 and see what happens.

Edit: and I have steve's fixer and currently use it.

I'm a long time DX10 user because DX9 was like a slide show on the settings I like to use so I'll try flicking back to DX9 and see what happens.

Edit: and I have steve's fixer and currently use it.

You might find, that you will now joining the DX9 Hybrid Club.  So far, it has about four members..but I think...that number will soon exponentially...grow!

You might find, that you will now joining the DX9 Hybrid Club.  So far, it has about four members..but I think...that number will soon exponentially...grow!

Just to be clear, all I will need to do is go and set d3d10 to 0 in fsx.cfg? I already have FSX bloom turned on in DX10.

Just to be clear, all I will need to do is go and set d3d10 to 0 in fsx.cfg? I already have FSX bloom turned on in DX10.

Uh no..I didn't say that.  Because this is totally undocumented in nature, please read what I exactly did as per my useage...and THAT is how I arrived at 'DX9 Hybrid' (smile).

I also suggest that if you, by fooling around with this thread...pull it off....I STRONGLY suggest in the most urgent terms...that as soon as you find you have hit the jackpot...shut down FSX, and save your entire system to an image disk, or at least a back up..to 'capture' whatever it is that is happening.  That is most strongly suggested....

If you find that you can turn on all the features, as you play with this solution...then do so...before you make that back up. I am now running FSX full out, and even with a 7.5 LOD of which gives (in my opinion), the best and most true-to-life distance and coherence visuals.  Before this week, I was lucky if I could push 6.5!!!  Usually I got away with a 5.5 setting. But with discovering last night over four hours that I could not in fact any longer, induce a CTD or OOM occurrence ...I thought, what the he**,  let's crank up the LOD as well. Well, this morning I did..and am having an absolute BLAST at a solid running; 7.5 LOD setting.   It keeps getting better, and better....  Oh Steve...thanks for all this...:)  "Ok Mitch, you bet..., no problem"....  (wink).

Ok, for me then it's pretty much as I've said - I don't have different profiles in NI for DX9 and DX10 but I will need to remove the AA referencing lines in the cfg after switching back to DX9.

Goodness Mitch - I don't think that I've ever seen anyone quite so animated about something they've found in FSX!!

Any chance you could upload your CFG for me to have a look at and try to closely emulate in my setup?

EDIT - Sorry Mitch, I see you posted it in the other thread :)

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Goodness Mitch - I don't think that I've ever seen anyone quite so animated about something they've found in FSX!!

Any chance you could upload your CFG for me to have a look at and try to closely emulate in my setup?

EDIT - Sorry Mitch, I see you posted it in the other thread :)

Well, yes..I admit to being quite animated and excited about this back door fix.  It literally in one fell swoop, has corrected everything that was wrong with FSX (at least for my needs)  I can't ask much more than an FSX flight session that is tailored to exactly my visual needs, effects, and that can run with any of my G.A. platforms, tube freeware, any custom airport and scenery pack...at LOD 7.5...and run for hours at a time now.  What more can one want from his/her FSX session?  I now have this...so, I'd imagine this event would be sought by one and all.  Before this week, it wasn't happening. With one addition of software to the mix...that wasn't even written for that purpose, it 'corrected' whatever it did, to allow me to run in DX9 at 30 FPS...for hours...with all features set to enabled.  I'll put it to you another way...(smile)...there would be nobody that, if they also will be able to realize this event on their own systems, would afterward shrug, and revert back to whatever PITA, they were suffering under.....  

Ok, for me then it's pretty much as I've said - I don't have different profiles in NI for DX9 and DX10 but I will need to remove the AA referencing lines in the cfg after switching back to DX9.

Yes, exactly that.  I hope it works out for you. That is pretty much all that I did within the .cfg file.

My results, as I also posted them in one of the other topics about this:

DX10 without bloom: average fps 40

DX10 with bloom: average fps 40

DX9 without bloom: average fps 28

DX9 with bloom: average fps 18

Precisely what you would expect and no magic performance gain.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask: I don't really understand the need to run DX9 when DX10 is so wonderful, as you also stated elsewhere. So even if DX9 runs just as well as DX10 (which certainly is not the case on my PC), why are you so happy that DX9 seems to be fixed...?

BTW Beware of what you claim... You can not guarantuee this will happen on every PC (specially since you don't seem to know yourself what you did exactly, so how should others reproduce this?). People might get very angry if they buy the Fixer because of your claims and find out DX9 runs as it does on my PC... (But of course they could still switch to DX10. ^_^ )

Hey Mitch, can I ask a dumb question here:  If you get great performance and visuals in DX10, why do you need to switch back to DX9 to get great performance and visuals ????

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

My results, as I also posted them in one of the other topics about this:

DX10 without bloom: average fps 40

DX10 with bloom: average fps 40

DX9 without bloom: average fps 28

DX9 with bloom: average fps 18

Precisely what you would expect and no magic performance gain.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask: I don't really understand the need to run DX9 when DX10 is so wonderful, as you also stated elsewhere. So even if DX9 runs just as well as DX10 (which certainly is not the case on my PC), why are you so happy that DX9 seems to be fixed...?

BTW Beware of what you claim... You can not guarantuee this will happen on every PC (specially since you don't seem to know yourself what you did exactly, so how should others reproduce this?). People might get very angry if they buy the Fixer because of your claims and find out DX9 runs as it does on my PC... (But of course they could still switch to DX10. ^_^ )

Well as for someone buying it, that would have to be the same as going to Vegas ...you put in 35.00 and pull down on the handle...you could end up with the jack pot, or with the least, the ability to try FSX in DX10. As to why I really am behind this, is quite simple...I get the same performance now as in DX10, but with 100 % compatibility that DX9 ensures you. I have cockpit lighting for instance that does not light nor work under DX10.

Hey Mitch, can I ask a dumb question here:  If you get great performance and visuals in DX10, why do you need to switch back to DX9 to get great performance and visuals ????

No dumb question at all, but that I can enjoy all the custom features of purchased aircraft, as well as the much better colors of terrain and water, including it effects and wave animation. DX9 renders a deeper depth and 3D effect to the terrain and autogen. Steve has attempted to get the water masks as close to the DX9 rendering as he can, but to date not at 100% virtual.

Well, that shows I am not a gambling guy... ^_^

Everyone has their own reasons to go for DX10 or not, of course. One of the main reasons, apart from slightly better performance, are the VC shadows. They really add something to the sim. But if you like DX9 more and this has helped you to improve performance, then that's great. But I simply would not advice people to buy the addon specifically for this until at least a few others have confirmed it really works. But that's just me. ^_^

No dumb question at all, but that I can enjoy all the custom features of purchased aircraft, as well as the much better colors of terrain and water, including it effects and wave animation. DX9 renders a deeper depth and 3D effect to the terrain and autogen. Steve has attempted to get the water masks as close to the DX9 rendering as he can, but to date not at 100% virtual.

Ah ok, makes some sense now.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Ah ok, makes some sense now.

The true bottom line, Mark, is that I found a way to get the performance out of DX9, that caused others to seek out what possible benefit one could glean from running in the DX10 mode.  For some reason, which I again state that I am quite ignorant of...there seems to have been a door opened along the way, since installing and using DX10 with the 'Fix'.  I just noticed that door, and slipped right on...through! :)