Sign in to follow this  
ant_1984

Perplexing Landing Light Problem

I was intially trying to tinker with my AI aircraft lighting to minimise the "blob" effect of the landing lights which I am now satisfied with.

However in the course of doing this I decided to tinker with the "spotlight.bmp" texture file which alters the brightness of the landing lights beam on the ground, to choose which effect I like best.

No matter what spotlight.bmp file I drop in though there is NO change to what is displayed in the sim.

I was using the different textures available in REX as well as the default and used default aircraft and the Carenado C152.

This has got me stumped!

My install is this and nothing more: FSX + Acceleration, FTX Global, FTX Australia, FS Global 2010, REX Essentials + OD & Carenado C152.

I did have A2A redux lights installed but have now removed this.

So far I have tried swapping out several different "spotlight.bmp" files, restoring default textures through REX, flushed the shader cache, reinstalled default ShadersHLSL directory but nothing changes.

Can anybody offer suggestions or is this just the way it is?

I know default aircraft Landing lights are dull, but I thought that was just the lights on the aircraft themselves, not what lights up the ground.

Besides this niggling problem, everything else is running great.

They are baked in with the model. Only way to change them is to edit the model which requires the uncompiled model files.

I know the landing lights are baked in with the model, but don't they read from spotlight.bmp for what light to actually draw on the ground.

REX for example has maybe 5 or 6 different spotlight.bmp with various brightness levels for the light beam on the ground.

Nope, no way to change what the light does on the ground unless you change it in the model.

Thanks.

It's worked in the past, so just trying to establish what's stopped it working now.

If I can't work it out I might just try reinstalling to sort it out since I don't have too much installed by way of payware etc.

Nope, no way to change what the light does on the ground unless you change it in the model.

When you're dealing with stock FX it is possible. You're thinking of the new built into the model 3D landing lights seen on many new planes such as A2A C172 and Realair Duke 2.0.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |