Sign in to follow this  
RoyalGuard

Out of Memory Error Help

Hello,

I have really been struggling with out of memory errors of recent. I am not sure what is causing it. I used to think it was the PMDG 777, but today it happened flying the Airbus X Extended on a hour long flight nearing final. I have read through a lot of posts and tried many things, including increasing the VAS on my S drive (where fsx is on my system), and only having the sceneries I am using for that particular trip to be active. Can someone help me here?

Greatly appreciated!

Signature2.png

DX10 Fixer is your friend for VAS problems........go get it cause I did and I have not had any VAS problems to-date running a multitude of highly detailed addons.  Read through the plenty of DX10 threads as well.  They are quite helplful. 

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

DX10 Fixer is your friend for VAS problems........go get it cause I did and I have not had any VAS problems to-date running a multitude of highly detailed addons.  Read through the plenty of DX10 threads as well.  They are quite helplful. 

I have it. I may have to go through and read the instructions in a more detailed fashion, but I certainly applied the DX10 fixer to my FS.

Signature2.png

That's odd cause I was able to complete a flight for the first time in the PMDG777 into Mega Airport Heathrow with Orbx England, REX, Opus weather and UT2 AI with out an OOM. This was previously impossible in DX9.

Not sure what you mean by increasing VAS in your FSX drive. FSX being a 32bit application is limited to a 4MB VAS max. This can never be increased.

John Pipilas

That's odd cause I was able to complete a flight for the first time in the PMDG777 into Mega Airport Heathrow with Orbx England, REX, Opus weather and UT2 AI with out an OOM. This was previously impossible in DX9.

Not sure what you mean by increasing VAS in your FSX drive. FSX being a 32bit application is limited to a 4MB VAS max. This can never be increased.

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here, yes? The payware dx10 fixer available at some time on the flightsim store?

Signature2.png

Yes that's what I was referring to. We are talking about the same thing here.

John Pipilas

Yes that's what I was referring to. We are talking about the same thing here.

Yeah, no. That didn't seem to really push things forward for me. I mean, I can't imagine how I crashed today using the airbus?? No clue whatsoever

Signature2.png

We need some information.

OS System (32/64bit)

LOD

Texture Resulotion

Autogen

Traffic

Photoreal Scenery

etc etc

Be sure to have the process explorer running with the virtual size column showing, then you can always check how close you are to the ultimate limit.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

I have read through a lot of posts and tried many things, including increasing the VAS on my S drive (where fsx is on my system),

How do you increase the VAS?  Since you have the PMDG777, there are several recommendations for fixing OOM's in the PMDG 777 Introduction guide and you need to review those and make sure you have tried those recommendations.  For instance, large amounts of photoscenery (or simply scenery like Orbx) will take up an extra-ordinary amount of VAS and cause OOM's.  If you have your LOD_Radius above 4.5 in the fsx.cfg, you are almost assured an OOM if you are not careful.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

We need some information.

OS System (32/64bit)

LOD

Texture Resulotion

Autogen

Traffic

Photoreal Scenery

etc etc

Be sure to have the process explorer running with the virtual size column showing, then you can always check how close you are to the ultimate limit.

I was using this with tropicalsim x TLPL, No air traffic, only boats...1028 resolution in game, 4.4 as my lod, 64 bit windows 7.

How do you increase the VAS?  Since you have the PMDG777, there are several recommendations for fixing OOM's in the PMDG 777 Introduction guide and you need to review those and make sure you have tried those recommendations.  For instance, large amounts of photoscenery (or simply scenery like Orbx) will take up an extra-ordinary amount of VAS and cause OOM's.  If you have your LOD_Radius above 4.5 in the fsx.cfg, you are almost assured an OOM if you are not careful.

Best regards,

I'm at 4.4. I increased VAS by going to Control Panel and raising the VAS in the system information advanced settings.

Thanks again for all your help guys!!

Signature2.png

I'm at 4.4. I increased VAS by going to Control Panel and raising the VAS in the system information advanced settings.

You have a very good system and no reason to lower your LOD_Radius from 4.5 to 4.4.  I was talking about anything over 4.5 (which is the default max setting for fsx).  Some people, like me, change it to 6.5.  I rarely see an OOM but, if I see one, I know exactly what caused it. 

I have no idea how you raised VAS in system information.  I'm thinking you did some changes to your Virtual Memory (Page File) and that's okay if you know what you are doing.  I have found that System Managed Size for all Drives is the best setting for FSX.  I think this is your problem.  You are not going to be able to get more VAS by increasing any of the figures in that section of Windows.  You could have 200 Gigs of memory and it's not going to work as FSX only has a max of 4GB's of VAS (this is explained in that PMDG 777 Introduction guide, page 21).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You have a very good system and no reason to lower your LOD_Radius from 4.5 to 4.4.  I was talking about anything over 4.5 (which is the default max setting for fsx).  Some people, like me, change it to 6.5.  I rarely see an OOM but, if I see one, I know exactly what caused it. 

I have no idea how you raised VAS in system information.  I'm thinking you did some changes to your Virtual Memory (Page File) and that's okay if you know what you are doing.  I have found that System Managed Size for all Drives is the best setting for FSX.  I think this is your problem.  You are not going to be able to get more VAS by increasing any of the figures in that section of Windows.  You could have 200 Gigs of memory and it's not going to work as FSX only has a max of 4GB's of VAS (this is explained in that PMDG 777 Introduction guide, page 21).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Yes sir, that would be what I altered was the page file. I am aware of the limitations FSX has with memory, but I still can't believe that I would be crashing this often? I guess there isn't much that can be done though, which I suppose is going to lead to me moving to another program...if I can't run FSX despite the computer I have

Signature2.png

You have a very powerful system for FSX.  In fact my old system was the i7 2600K w/the GTX 680.  You just have to be careful how you tweak it and how you set your fsx and video card settings.  With your system I would use the following guide - http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html.  Be careful if you employ the BufferPool tweak (even the one in the guide in the link I just provided).  On the system you have now, I didn't tweak at all except that I raised the LOD_Radius and reset the Texture_Max_Load.  Just remember, if you are flying a 777 or an Airbus, you won't be able to see much at FL 100 and above.  Up there you want some pretty clouds, a nice VC, and a nice wingview.  A lot of people, including me, increase their FPS and rendering by changing the resolution.  I hit the minus key a couple of times in the PMDG 777 VC, and four times at wingview and all external views.  This provides a more realistic rendering of your flightsim.  It's amazing how many more fps you can get just by doing this little trick.  I use a lot of photoscenery and it really works great with that.  It should work with other scenery too.  Moving all of your sliders to the max is the worse thing you can do to fsx.  It may work okay a couple of times but eventually it is going to bite you and you'll be visiting this forum frequently for answers.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

You have a very powerful system for FSX.  In fact my old system was the i7 2600K w/the GTX 680.  You just have to be careful how you tweak it and how you set your fsx and video card settings.  With your system I would use the following guide - http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html.  Be careful if you employ the BufferPool tweak (even the one in the guide in the link I just provided).  On the system you have now, I didn't tweak at all except that I raised the LOD_Radius and reset the Texture_Max_Load.  Just remember, if you are flying a 777 or an Airbus, you won't be able to see much at FL 100 and above.  Up there you want some pretty clouds, a nice VC, and a nice wingview.  A lot of people, including me, increase their FPS and rendering by changing the resolution.  I hit the minus key a couple of times in the PMDG 777 VC, and four times at wingview and all external views.  This provides a more realistic rendering of your flightsim.  It's amazing how many more fps you can get just by doing this little trick.  I use a lot of photoscenery and it really works great with that.  It should work with other scenery too.  Moving all of your sliders to the max is the worse thing you can do to fsx.  It may work okay a couple of times but eventually it is going to bite you and you'll be visiting this forum frequently for answers.

Best regards,

Hello,

I will thoroughly and carefully read this guide and apply the settings, then attempt a test flight and report back later on today on the process. I can only begin to thank you for the help and very meaningful responses you have provided me with. I don't know of a better suited forum to turn to for help and guidance then this one here! Thank you so much my friend!

Signature2.png

Thanks for your kind comments.  We have a lot of members here with good ideas.  I hope it works for you too. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM