Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

FSX Model Animation Controls?

The variable used in that Piper to open the cowling doors is (A:TAILHOOK POSITION:1, percent)

I mapped SHIFT+Q to "tailhook up/down" event and the doors worked perfectly (tested the three versions).

Tom

I, and a friend, have Shift-Q mapped to the tailhook. It works on all our tailhook equipped planes. It does not open the engine cowling doors on the Piper. Does yours open the engine cowling doors? If so is there some particular situation like engine off, power off, parking brake on, etc? We have tries all kinds of combinations and the engine cowling doors do not open. They do open/close in all three of the models as viewed in the MCVX animation editor. We both have the FSUIPC latest registered version. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Mystery solved.

After comparing this model to the default F-18, and finding no glaring differences, I began to wonder if this plane really is SP2 compatible.

So I uninstalled Acceleration and, bingo, the cowls now open with the tailhook command.

So with FSX Deluxe RTM they work, with SP2 they do not. I don't know about SP1, yet suspect it will be the same as RTM.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

The variable used in that Piper to open the cowling doors is (A:TAILHOOK POSITION:1, percent)

I mapped SHIFT+Q to "tailhook up/down" event and the doors worked perfectly (tested the three versions).

Tom

Hi. Just to make sure we are talking about the exact same plane is your downloaded zip file (Piper_Cherokee_Pa28_140_FSX.zip)? Also do you have Acceleration? Another user here has Acceleration and the cowling doors don't open. When he uninstalled Acceleration they did work. I, and my friend, both have Acceleration installed. Thanks, Bob.

Mystery solved.

After comparing this model to the default F-18, and finding no glaring differences, I began to wonder if this plane really is SP2 compatible.

So I uninstalled Acceleration and, bingo, the cowls now open with the tailhook command.

So with FSX Deluxe RTM they work, with SP2 they do not. I don't know about SP1, yet suspect it will be the same as RTM.

regards,

Joe

Hi Joe. Thanks That's why thy don't open for us. We both have Acceleration. Just to make sure we are talking about the exact same plane is your downloaded zip file (Piper_Cherokee_Pa28_140_FSX.zip)? Thanks for all your help. Regards, Bob.

P.S. Do you know of any way to get them to work with Acceleration? I can't believe that the author of this plane did not know this.

My download was an .msi installer, not a zip file.

PiperPa28-140FSXv1.2.msi to be exact.

From the readme...

Piper PA28-140 for FSX and Prepar3D v1.2

by Ole Egholm & Claus V. Holmberg

There is no way to make this work in SP2 as far as I know.

Some things were changed and this must be one of them, that is why addons either do or don't require SP2.

BTW, while the cowls do work in RTM, many, many things like gauges do not work.

Just have to get used to not using that feature, or you could ask for your money back B)

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Hi. Thanks. It's freeware not payware. I think at some time ago it was payware. As far as I can see all the gauges work OK. I appreciate the help. Best regards, Bob.

Edit: The version we got at SimMarket is what you have (V 1.2). It did not work and the doors did not open. We found another version that is later (Piper_Cherokee_Pa28_140_FSX.zip). It too does not have working engine cowl doors. It must be that both versions do not work wit Acceleration. Bob.

The version I tested is PiperPa28-140FSXv1.2.msi

I have SP2 installed, and the cowl doors work like a treat.

Besides, there should be no reason otherwise. I couldn't find any special issue in the gauges and/or model that might prevent the doors from working in SP2 or Acceleration. Maybe FSUIPC config has something to do with the anomaly.

Tom

Hi Tom. OK. Thanks. We have the latest registered FSUIPC version installed. Do you have it too? Best regards, Bob.

I have FSUIPC but the standard version, not registered, not configured, as it is still required by some FSX addons. 

Tom

Hi. OK. Thanks. That may be the problem. I just got an answer from Claus, the author. I explained what problems some of us have had. If I get any solution I'll post it here. Best regards, Bob.

That is indeed quite odd. Acceleration simply added "new stuff" to the existing sim's commands and events, it did not take anything (such as "tailhook") away... :unsure:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is not an FSUIPC issue.

We are dealing with a stock, internal FSX command.

The only thing FSUIPC can do is handle the key assignment to activate the command. It is still the stock tailhook command.

regards,

Joe

PS. I will readily eat crow if Pete Dowson can find a workaround for this.

sigbar.gif

Hi. OK. Thanks. I am merely trying to find out why the users with Acceleration and registered FSUIPC can't open the cowling doors. Thanks, regards, Bob.