Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

FSX Model Animation Controls?

I have an FSX plane with door animations like the engine cowling doors in the model which I can view in Model Converter X. There is no readme that explains the keystrokes to open and close the doors. I have tried all the Shift_E +1,2,3,4 ,5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 commands plus the tailhook command ( Shift-Q). Is there anyway to look in the model file with a hex editor to see how the animation is triggered? I have tried contacting the author with no luck. The plane is the freeware Piper PA28-140 Package at SimMarket.

I came across a forum about this subject. It's in Danish. I used Google Translate and it seems that the author has suggested to another user with the same problem to set the tailhook command to E+N. This is strange as I have never seen any FSX commands with two lettered commands. FSX would not even allow me to set the E+N command. If the animation is triggered by a tailhook command shouldn't any keystroke command that is set to tailhook work.  I have used Shift-Q in all my other planes that require a tailhook command. Can the model callout a specific key command required to operate the doors? I don't want to change my tailhook command as it will not work with other planes I have. Regards, Bob.

I would think something went wrong with Google Translate as E+N means nothing.

Did you try the tailhook command?

You could load the mdl file into something like notepad++. Towards the end of the file are the xml codes used for the animations. Good luck with sorting out what does what as the animations will be linked to parts by GUID and you don't know what GUID the doors will have which makes things difficult. You could try a search for TOGGLE_TAIL_HOOK_HANDLE within the mdl file which is the command to turn on/off the tailhook.

www.antsairplanes.com

Hi Anthony. Thanks. Yes I have tried the Shift-Q command which operates the tailhook on all my other tailhook equipped planes.The engine doors do not open. I even used the E+N command as was stated in English in the Scansim DK Forum. It did not open the engine cowling doors. I just posted a message in English at the Danish site. The site said to use the E+N command.which I tried. I never thought it would work. It did not but amazingly it did operate the tailhook in my Grumman Duck. I never thought that multiple lettered keys would work. I know the animation is in the mdl file as I used Model Converter X to view the door animations.

I laso tried the spoiler and wing fold commands woith no luck. I'll try your suggestion with Notepad++. I did use Hex Edit and did not see anything about tailhook. Best regards, Bob.

Wouldn't this be something controlled by the FS cowl flap keystroke(s)??

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Ed. Thanks. Those commands don't work either. I already tried them. If that was the case why would the author tell, on the DK Forum, that the tailhook command will open them. Also why would he use E+N rather than the standard Shift+Q command? There is something either wrong in the coding of the animations or we are not being told correctly how to animate them. There should have been a readme in the installation to explain the animation controls. I can't really complain as it was freeware. The rest of the plane is OK. Best regards, Bob.

Using ModelconverterX's latest version, load the Piper model and then press the "show modeldef" button. There you have the complete animation code in readable XML format. Search for names including "door" or alike within the "custom" section, at the bottom part of the file. Should be simple to find the section where doors' animation is handled.

Tom

Thanks. I tried that. When I open open it I get a whole list of GUID's and xml's. It opens in a window that does not give any options to search it. I copied it all into a txt file and searched it. I see no door or tailhook at all. I see several instances of Toggle_Aircraft_Exits 1, 2 and 3. I also see a ramp raise and canopy position. I don't see any FSX commands for the canopy or ramp.  I have tried Shift-E 1,2,3,4,5, etc with no luck. The right hand door opens fine with Shift-E-1 and that's all. I'll keeep investigating. I posted the question on te DK forum but never have received any answer. I appreciate your help. I learned some more on how to use MCV X. Regards, Bob.

Hi,

Off topic off course,

but downloaded modelconverter 1.3 just for curiousity.

where is the "show modeldef" button?

Hi,

Off topic off course,

but downloaded modelconverter 1.3 just for curiousity.

where is the "show modeldef" button?

You have to download the development release, it is not included in 1.3.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks Joe for the help. I may ask Arno if there is a way to present the XML in a form that could be searched right in the window rather than having to copy it into Notepad to do a search. I never realized that it was possible to view the model info. Best regards,Bob.

well, have the dev. rel. version and the button only shows:

<ModelInfo />

probably doing something wrong...