Sign in to follow this  
ozzieblr

Clear borders where B737 -800 -900 textures are stitched

This topic might have been addressed before, but I have been unable to find it ... if there is a solution already online can someone please kindly point me to it?

I am using the PMDG paint kit for the above two NGX models and have found that whenever I am using a dark colour, there is a clear light  line on the fuselage indicating the borders between the three different texture files.  No matter what I have tried so far, I cannot get rid of them.  This is not a problem with lighter coloured paints.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem please?!

Many thanks,

ozzieblr

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

You need to have a spillover over the "borders" of the painted zones in the separate sections.

These are my two master files - for the -800: (PS - sorry - hit the wrong button!  See below.)

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

These are my two master files - for the -800:

In this file I created a continuous flow of dark blue between the two texture areas to try and avoid the problem, but with no success.

And for the -900:

In this file the texture areas are immediately adjoining, and in fact the problem is worse on the -900 than the -800.

Are you talking about making the .dds files slightly bigger with bleed-off areas on each end?  They are already 4096x4096 in size.  Any extra directions would be very gratefully received!

Should be layer to shut them off

These files are all layered but I have been merging visible layers before copying them to the norm file for transfer back to DXTbmp for saving as .dds - is there something I should be doing differently Richard?

best to post a shot of the problem - but there should be a layer with the ref lines which need to be shut off hopefully you didnt merge that layer all ready if you did your out of luck it will be part of your paint work

Rich Sennett

Hi Richard - thanks for your help ...

This is the problem area here:

Is it because I have not been turning off the guidelines before merging the layers?  My original master files do not have the layers merged, so I can try it again this time turning off the guidelines before merging the visible layers.  Is that what you mean Richard?

I am talking about the aqua-coloured lines you can see in the master files above.  But I didn't think they merged with the paint layers anyway?  Or are you talking about the Paint Guides - is there a hidden layer in there somewhere that needs to be off?  Clearly I have the obvious coloured ones turned off individually.

Correct not guidelines this paintkit is not easy to work with you have done it right not recalling how to fix this but you can try adding a bit more blue area to merged layer what I mean is make the width a bit larger on that side, just cant remember how I got around this, again very hard to work we this kit and by the way a 900 with any other color than white on the belly will not match the surrounding area and I dont think pmdg fixed that

Rich Sennett

Thanks for your help Richard - I will try making the texture files a pixel or two bigger in each direction and see if that fixes the problem.  I have not had this problem with any other paint kit that I can recall - and in addition to this problem, it was not at all easy to get the coloured curves across the top of the fuselage looking acceptable.  There are some minor problems if we zoom right in, but this stitch line is my major concern at present.  Maybe I will give up on the -900 if there is no way to achieve a good stitch.

There sure are lots of paint kits that are easier to use than this one - but the aircraft is superb (as is the new PMDG 777!) and well worth the effort of getting the paint job right!

Good luck Buddy - the 777 is very nice to work with maybe concentrate on that as the NGX will drive you crazy thats for sure - good luck - after using 777 kit never do a 737 paint again way to much pain

Rich Sennett

I have done 6 repaints of the PMDG777 already, including American NC, Air New Zealand NC, and the Air New Zealand black fern leaf from their -300.  All with none of the texture joint problems I have had with the 737 paint job! So I know how good the new paint kit is for the 777 already!

Despite the complexity, this ANZ paint was a really fabulous result:

This is the problem area here:

attachicon.gifStitch line.jpg

...  are you talking about the Paint Guides - is there a hidden layer in there somewhere that needs to be off?  Clearly I have the obvious coloured ones turned off individually.

I have tried a few ideas that have come out of this discussion so far - without success ... anyone from PMDG monitoring these discussions who can offer a helpful suggestion?

Now, I am not sure anymore. I was almost certain that the problem was you cut off your texture right at the guide and just moved it fwd, which is not a good thing - but this was not it.

Only other thing I can offer is to make sure you save the dds in 32bit uncompressed or DXT5, no mipmaps. Other than that... I am lost.

Thanks Fabo, appreciate your thoughts - the files have always been saved as DXT5 with no mipmaps.  Works just fine for lighter colours, works just fine for all other repaints, including the PMDG B777-200LR.  Got me foxed too.  The only NGX repaint I have done in the past had light colours on the fuselage, and I was not aware of the problem - I guess I won't be doing any dark coloured NGX repaints then!

If you are sure you have no gaps in your texture map edges then it's most likely a driver issue. This drove me mad during development of the NGX where I was the only ones the group seeing this gap. Turned out to be a driver setting that is the root of this. Happens on the T7 to if I muck about with settings. You might try adjusting v-sync. I forget off hand what the exact driver setting can cause this.

Pete Mac Paint

PMDG Graphic Designer