Sign in to follow this  
l3ubba

Manifold Pressure

Is there any known issues with the manifold pressure in cold weather? I just purchased an A36 on FS Economy and I am using the Carenado A36 yet when flying it through Alaska I have an issue where my fuel pressure drops and my manifold pressure slowly drops until it is completely gone making me lose airspeed. At first I thought I might have done something wrong or not followed a step on the checklist but after going through everything I had followed the checklist perfectly. My next theory was that maybe FSE was doing something to the airplane because I had a maintenance issue with mine, so I rented another A36 and flew that just fine.

My last theory was that it was weather related. I fly using AS 2012 so I have real world weather. The temperatures in the part of Alaska I'm flying in right now are about 1C with a dew point of 0C, there is pretty low cloud cover and light snow. I rented an aircraft in Texas where it was very hot and the weather was clear (still using AS) and no problems came up. Is there some kind of weather limitation to the A36 that I'm not aware of or is there a procedure I'm not following?

Samuel Scully

You've just discovered the infamous FSX carb heat bug.  :-)

Even though the plane is fuel injected, FSX still makes it susceptible to carburetor icing in the (non-existent) carburetor and, of course, there's no carb heat switch in the A36 because - of course - there's no carb.

Hit the "h" key (default FSX carb heat assignment) and the problem will go away.  With the exception of two planes that I know of which have hard-coded fixes for this (the Milviz B55, and the new RealAir B60 Duke V2), I include hitting "h" as part of my pre-takeoff checklist on my fuel injected piston planes.  There's no performance penalty as there is in an actual carbureted plane, so I just use it as a magical key to keep the problem from occurring.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Thanks, I was not aware of that bug. The first time it happened I double checked to make sure the A36 is fuel injected and when I saw it was I was like ok it can't be the carburetor, but I guess I was wrong lol.

Samuel Scully

If you own FSUIPC you can link the H key hit to gear up and then problem is resolved automatically.  There may be other programs that can do this for you as well if you dont have full FSUIPC.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

If you own FSUIPC you can link the H key hit to gear up and then problem is resolved automatically. There may be other programs that can do this for you as well if you dont have full FSUIPC.

Hey Mark,

If you do this, you'd want to set it up only on specific profiles in FSUIPC.  In the Milviz B55, for example, you don't want to hit "h", as whatever was done to work around the bug is messed up if you try to do something with carb heat - it changes power.  Don't know if this is true on the new B60 as well, or if RealAir handled it differently.   I hadn't  tried hitting h there yet.

Scott

I have FSUIPC but I've already linked my gear with one of the buttons on my Saitek throttle quadrant so H works just fine for me.

A little off topic but if I program the GPS on my A36 will the AP follow the route or does it just show me the route and I have to do a heading hold?

Samuel Scully

I think you can keep the Saitek link in place for the gear and then program it so that when that button is pressed is also hits the H key for you.  You can do both with the same button.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

The autopilot does have a nav mode which will follow the GPS if in GPS mode, or the tuned VOR if in VLOC mode.

Haven't flow the A36 in a while and I also use the RXP GNS430 in it which works a bit differently from the default units, but that's the basic idea.

Scott

Quick question:  how do you rent a plane in FSX?

Not in FSX - In FSE, that is FSEconomy, a Web-Interface connected to a website with a nice economics-world.

It gives more depth to the flights you make, because you earn (virtual) money. ;-)

Have a look: www.fseconomy.net