Sign in to follow this  
sgreen91

Am I Missing Something?

Well with all the fellow simmers always talking about VATSIM I tried it out this week.  I've only heard good things about it and with it being free I decided to compare it to PilotEdge (which is payware) which is my ususal fix for real live atc control.

Logged onto the west coast at KSAN and not a single controller.  Only 2 or 3 controllers on the east coast but no center or tower etc.  One of these controllers was called ATIS.  I didnt think there was an ATIS controller.

Basically flew a couple flights on the west coast were I usually fly and basically felt I was just wasting bandwidth.  I could have done the same flight without VATSIM and accomplished the same thing.  I basically had to vector myself etc.

Am I missing something?  I really want to enjoy VATSIM but if I'm going to fly by myself most of the time I dont see a reason for it other than building up hours on VATAWARE for bragging rights I guess.

Maybe some of the veterean VATSIMers can help me out with the best way to enjoy this network.

Thanks for any input.

Sean Green

You haven't missed anything. You will need to stalk controllers and organize your flight plan that way.

ZORAN

Maybe some of the veterean VATSIMers can help me out with the best way to enjoy this network.

The best way (I find) to enjoy VATSIM is to participate in one of the many events that happen on the network. Go to the VATSIM homepage and check out the events listed there. Even better, go to your local ARTCC website and view the events listed there, as only the major events are on the VATSIM homepage.

The final thing to do to enjo VATSIM is to download VAT-Spy, then you can see where the controllers and other pilotes are online, then flightplan your route through the controlled sectors.

Thanks for the input.  I do have VATSPY and I suspose I should expand my horizons and try to fly in other areas.  I'm just used to SOCAL due to my Pilotedge flights in that area.

I will try that this weekend and try to find some atc coverage.  I'll also check out the events on the VATSIM page.

Sean Green