Sign in to follow this  
Fabs

How to kill a forum...

Lately, I have become quite disillusioned with customer services. It's not just talking about CS, as this sentiment applies in general service providers within our virtual community.

I simply don't know what Captain Sim were thinking when they chose to limit new posts in their own support forum to users who have made 50 posts or more. It's a high threshold to set; from one moment to the next, established customers and forum users could post, and the next, they couldn't.

The CS forum has since become quietly dormant.

Please Captain Sim, inject some CRM logic into your actions, and open up those forums, so that users can continue to post for support, assistance, and beneficial advice.

Spamming can be tackled in other ways, perhaps by increased monitoring, supervision, and moderation.

Unless your initiative was to close down the forum for reasons best known to you, but speculatively one might suggest this could be to lessen workloads, though this would seem counterproductive when the core business strategy is the beta-release method (which incidentally I have no issues with).

This message is from a C-130, B727, B737, B777, CSWX, CSW customer. There, I have supported you, now you support me.

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The CS forum has since become quietly dormant.

Which was probably their intention from the outset.

I agree with you, and would never give that developer another penny of my cash      - but all you can do is vote with your wallet.

CS certainly aren't going to read your views here - they don't bother with this channel either.

The trouble is that CS make great aircraft, especially their "Pro-Line" and "Nostalgy" series, with beautifully crafted aircraft that are much needed in FSX.

There have been notable exceptions with issues that have never been addressed and with desperately needed service packs, plus irregular narratives from the dev's themselves.

So it's not as easy as boycotting CS. I said to myself that their 777 would be the last, but no, I'm now eyeing up the CS 707.

The best win/win would be to buy their products during one of their occasional $9.99 sales, as then their products are a positive bargain.

I hate seeing FS companies and dev's disappear from our world, though some expression of listening to and acting upon customer commentaries would be warranted and most welcome. I've said it before, the key to success is through communication and action.

• Upvote 1

Before they introduced that rule, they had done a lot of deleting, locking and truncating of posts. After all, their 757, 767 and 777 in particular aren't free of bugs and 'courageous' advertising.

The new rule saves them a lot of time of 'gardening' in their own forum ...

Cs has a problem with criticism,instead of listening to the customer and heeding what the consumer is saying they would rather delete the post or lock a thread. I don't understand their logic from it because that shows you have a care about your products once a consumer has it. There are some people who do have legitimate issue with their aircraft and when they ask for some sort of answer to their issue there is no answer from CS,it's always from other forum members who have fought thru the frustration of finding and fixing bugs themselves. I know some of us who own the T7 want to ask for another update,and those of us who really don't post or visit over there anymore know the reason why we don't ask! There will be some combative answer and the thread will be locked or deleted. I'm thru purchasing aircraft from them even on sale until they improve their forum ways,and customer service!

• Upvote 1

Cs has a problem with criticism,instead of listening to the customer and heeding what the consumer is saying they would rather delete the post or lock a thread.

They are not alone in that respect.

Captain Sim follows the following logic:Make a plane, stuff some horribly modelled systems into it, don't bother finishing the model and then shove it out to the public for a price that is far too high. 

Yeah someone deleted my previous post...

Heh, yeah duplicate threads, didn't notice since i only watch 'new posts' in the forum.

They did some quite nice stuff with their 707, C-130 and the like. Unfortunately they can't really cope with the 'middle generation' Boeings, so their forum administration appears like some cover-up.

I was highly annoyed by their new 50 minimum post limit also but you can still post all you want on any older thread. I just search for a thread that comes closest and post my question in there.

Problem is their forums are indeed pretty dead, only the very helpful Markoz usually replies.

I like their planes even if they aren't perfect. I find they somehow have lots of character. I just bought the Aerosoft Airbus X and find it rather stolid and clinical in comparison. Beside, I only bought 1 full price, the other 3 were on their $10 sale so I really can't complain of the value at all.

The trouble is that CS make great aircraft

LOL:  no, they don't.

Unless we have substantially varied standards of quality, sir.

• Upvote 2

No, it's unlikely that our standards vary. What varies is the product itself from dev to dev, each has their "mark". Some dev's give you perfection out of the box, others get it right after a patch or two, others get you to apply the final paint coat, as it were. We all like the precise perfection from some FS dev's, and others build into theirs a characteristic that is, if you like, their signature.

My hangar is full of varied types, from fixed wing GA, helo's and commercial props and jets. I have a hangar full from far too many dev's for me to list, and I know what to expect from each of them, and "expectation" is a key point here.

CS do make great aircraft with eye candy, and just one or two, or maybe three of four of their wares are really very good, and much better after tweaks, patches, and gizmo's are applied.

The fact is that I really like most - but not all - of my CS aircraft, and I can say the same for other dev's. Some get flown, some stay hangared. And I agree that some aircraft are bland and characterless; it's not that they're bad, but for me they have no soul, no magic, no charisma. I can't say that for CS.

How CS act by deleting and locking threads is deplorable, yet I will go back to them for more (especially when on sale, obviously). But I don't like how CS behave.

The element that is most lacking is good old fashioned hands-on caring open and reliable customer services, or CS for short.

Oh my, the CS is missing from CS!!!

• Upvote 3

It´s such a waste; They do make some nice aircraft that are flyable after a couple of service packs. But imagine what terrific business they could make, had they had a positive attitude to customers, like for instance REX..

BR,

Anders

Well I have only now visited the CS forum after reading about this customer unfriendly move on the part of CS.

What I see over there is the same old situation. New users battling with the faults of the 777 model that remain unfixed for four months now. And dedicated user Markoz holding the fort, patiently helping out. Kudos to him! If only CS had the decency to follow his example and offer some help of their OWN to THEIR customers.

I suspect both forums are so quiet now for two reasons.

CS itself has gone very quiet on their own forum. No news whatsoever about intentions/plans to fix/advance the 777 or any of their older planes for that matter. Just absolute silence, So many users have given up bothering to even look at their forum.

Secondly people have obviously moved on to PMDG's 777 model (myself, and I recognize many names here that are also active on the PMDG site). So we have been released from battling with user fixes, or trying to get non-existent help from CS, or hoping for a version 1.3, and have just hangared their product.

CS will pull in another batch of newbie, unsuspecting users when they launch their Christmas $9.99 CS charity run / CS holiday fund drive. Best thing about that is it will lead to a some of new PMDG-777 users shortly afterwards.

Rob

• Upvote 2

Some of the CS criticism is no doubt justified, but I would point out that their 707 is a really nice plane. Getting that aircraft in any future 9.99 sale is highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

No news whatsoever about intentions/plans to fix/advance the 777 or any of their older planes for that matter

I tried to get support for the CS C-130 on their forum and ended up getting the "real" support from people on this forum. That really is a shame that so many vendors want the fast cash but forget the importance of support for the long haul.

• Upvote 1

This thread wasn't started to bash CS, or any other rev, and I'm sorry that it's taken that turn.

I do greatly enjoy their products, 737, L1011, 757 and so on, and generally, I return to them more so than many other mainstream products. I have my fav's, CS and others, we all do I suppose, and this applies to scenery and other add-ons as well.

I intended it as a customer services wake up call.

I'm really looking hard at the 707, and I may not hold out until Christmas!

• Upvote 1

customer services wake up call

Fabs: That is EXACTLY why I made the comment, Customer Service came from this site and it's members. ALL vendors really need to do a better job with customer service. A good product is nice but if you have a problem it is ALSO nice to receive some support on the products you purchased.

• Upvote 1

They did some quite nice stuff with their 707, C-130 and the like. Unfortunately they can't really cope with the 'middle generation' Boeings, so their forum administration appears like some cover-up.

:lol: Reminds me of Wilco when the A320 got released. They closed their forums altogether and moved to a support ticket system, because the forums were giving the A320 a (deserved) bad reputation!

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should all just agree CS has created a wonderful 707 - C-130, and then be done with it... 

Maybe we should all just agree CS has created a wonderful 707 - C-130, and then be done with it...

I'll drink to that!!! :Cuppa:  :Cuppa:

I'm uncertain, do all systems or things work right on the 707 that people praise that CS model the most?

Sign in to follow this