Sign in to follow this  
RKillins

Top 10 List Of Recommendations To Improve Performace?

Good day folks,

I've been hesitant to post this as I know the reaction among many will be frustration. I am a fond supporter of Steve's progress with DX10, and I have used it exclusively from his earliest patches to his most recent "fixer" release. Sadly, I have not felt that my FSX is operating at it's best potential for my system. I get so confused reading member's posts here regarding performance enhancing, and I am concerned while reading the success of others in maintaining admirable and consistent performance with similar systems. I would be happy with just an improvement, let alone exceeding basic expectations at this time. It could very well be that my expectations are unrealistic, but I'd like to make sure I've covered all the possible angles (which may be infinite) before accepting defeat.

Are there a "top 10" list of recommended considerations ... the "top 10" things you can do to influence performance for FSX and DX10. There is so much member input here, and this is good if you know what's going on, but overwhelming for people that are challenged by the terminology and effects of variables etc. Gets even more complicated when you are dealing with differing opinion or conflicting information. I understand this is to be expected considering the nature of FSX and the broad variety of systems and software being used out there. It's almost as if we need a benchmark to experiment with.

Anyway, consider this scenario, which is typical of any of my scenarios. FSX with Acceleration and Steve's DX10 Fixer. Although I have REX Essential Plus Overdrive and AS2012 installed, for this scenario they are not being used. Flying the ND Eurocopter EC135 from VC, hovering at 1500' above the threshold of Rwy 16 at Friday Harbor, in fair weather, in the fall at 11:30AM , I am typically unable to achieve frames rates above 25 in windowed mode. I get massive fluctuations between 25 and 1.5, averaging 11-13 FPS in flight, and/or static on ground (not as frequent or dramatic fluctuations). This results in noticeable stutters(?) and regular what I can hiccups (lurching). Although flyable, it certainly isn't fluid and rewarding.

Here is my system:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    RKILLINS-PC
System Manufacturer    System manufacturer
System Model    System Product Name
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 1805, 12/19/2012
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name    
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory    4.61 GB
Total Virtual Memory    15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory    11.9 GB
Page File Space    7.95 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

I am using an Nvidia GeForce GTX660ti GPU, with 320.18 WHQL drivers in surround mode with 3 23" monitors. The resolution  5760x1080x32.

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 10/05/2013 10:04:29System name:[Display]Operating System:    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)DirectX version:    11.0GPU processor:        GeForce GTX 660 TiDriver version:        320.18Direct3D API version:    11
Direct3D feature level:    11_0
CUDA Cores:        1344
Core clock:        980 MHz
Memory data rate:    6008 MHz
Memory interface:    192-bit
Memory bandwidth:    144.19 GB/s
Total available graphics memory:    6885 MB
Dedicated video memory:    3072 MB GDDR5
System video memory:    0 MB
Shared system memory:    3813 MB
Video BIOS version:    80.04.4B.00.60
IRQ:            16
Bus:            PCI Express x8 Gen2
Device Id:        10DE 1183 36633842
Part Number:        2004 0001
GPU processor:        GeForce 8500 GT
Driver version:        320.18
Direct3D API version:    10
CUDA Cores:        16
Core clock:        459 MHz
Shader clock:        918 MHz
Memory data rate:    666 MHz
Memory interface:    128-bit
Total available graphics memory:    4095 MB
Dedicated video memory:    512 MB DDR2
System video memory:    0 MB
Shared system memory:    3583 MB
Video BIOS version:    60.86.39.00.00
IRQ:            17
Bus:            PCI Express x8
Device Id:        10DE 0421 82451043
[Components]
nvui.dll        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdsync.exe        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUI.exe        7.2.710.0        NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSS.dll        6.14.13.2018        NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvS.dll        6.14.13.2018        NVIDIA Video Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll        6.14.13.2018        NVIDIA Display Server
NVCUDA.DLL        8.17.13.2018        NVIDIA CUDA 5.5.1 driver
nvGameS.dll        6.14.13.2018        NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

My FSX.cfg file is attached.

Using Nvidia Inspector 1.9.7.1. My FSX profile is attached.

My FSX Settings configurations are attached.

Based on an imaginary "top 10" list of recommendations, am I missing something obvious?

RM Killins

Hi;

I'm by no means an expert but I will make a few comments in you FSX.cfg

You have two different video cards in the config. I would recommend deleting the one not installed.

You have wide view aspect as both true and false. Selct one and delete the other

You are showing an  AffintyMask of 84. I was very reluctant to disable hyperthreading, but when I did (and changed the AF to 14, I did notice improvement in the sim)

TextureMaxLoad at 60 is a value I have not seen before. However, with the problems you are mentioning, I'm not sure if this tweak is the culprit.

You have some duplicate entries of tweaks where they should not be. For example HighMemFix is found in more than one location. Probably not hurting anything.

It seems our systems are similar. I have a 680 FTW versus the TI. For me, I've always turned my sliders down if I wasn't getting the performance I thought I should. Cloud draw distance and road traffic maybe could benefit in slight reductions. (I'd also reduce GA traffic, but that's just me).

As for NVidia Inspector settings, I think there is a posting the from J van E  that has settings I use which work great. Maybe Paul moved them into the "How to Doc?" . The post is http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421674-dx10-and-fsaa-some-personal-observations/

Good luck and please let us know what has worked for you.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Q. Is your system overclocked?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for the replies so far guy ...

Skewr ... I will certainly take a look at the cfg file more closer and eliminate the duplicates. I am actually running a 4th monitor off a second graphics card. It's displaying charts and what not. I believe I have hyperthreading still on ... should it be off?

Hi Paul ...

The system is not overclocked. Despite efforts, I have never been able to. I wish I could.

www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1699288/timid-asus-p8z77-intel-2600k.html

RM Killins

Flying the ND Eurocopter EC135 from VC, hovering at 1500' above the threshold of Rwy 16 at Friday Harbor, in fair weather, in the fall at 11:30AM , I am typically unable to achieve frames rates above 25 in windowed mode. I get massive fluctuations between 25 and 1.5, averaging 11-13 FPS in flight, and/or static on ground (not as frequent or dramatic fluctuations). This results in noticeable stutters(?) and regular what I can hiccups (lurching). Although flyable, it certainly isn't fluid and rewarding.

Ouch! 

Re your "What are the Top 10 performance enhancements" (my words) - the single most important and number one "improver" is clock speed, but along with that comes "system balance", and while that can be compensated for by some tweaking - we have two very big issues here, to which there is no good answer - they are too far apart. Your GPU is not capable of delivering 5760 x 1080 x 32, and your CPU cannot push that necessary data to achieve a fluid, and rewarding experience regardless of fsx config tweaking.

A fourth monitor can only aggravate the situation.

I can only suggest you move to a single monitor (at this point), and that you will revisit the process of overclocking using figures taken from one of the 4.6, 4.8 or 4.9 pdf's in this folder.  Once you are at 4.6 - then you may add a second 660Ti to give you the required resolution. At that point your FSX tweaking will be effective.

If you would like some help in working with the 2600K - I will be glad to do this with you, using Teamspeak and Teamviewer - just say the word - ok!

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

@RKillins

From my point of view I have to say that your fsx.cfg is messed up. Reset DX10 Fixer and rename the fsx.cfg, then start FSX and it will generate a new fsx.cfg. Now you can begin to set your DX10 Fixer and other tweaks again.

You should avoid to have duplicate entries as SKEWR already said.

Good luck

Spirit

PS: The best is to follow Paul's suggestions

Take up Paul on his offer...you won't get free expert advice like this anywhere else :lol:

hmmm...

Hey Dylan! That's "Ex", like in "Has-been", and "spert", like in "a drip under pressure"..  :( 

Thanks once again ... all valuable insights.

the single most important and number one "improver" is clock speed

That seems to be the consensus from ALL the advice I've stumbled on in my Google searches. I've only ever failed to achieve an overclock as evident from the support thread I added to my message above. I will certainly take you up Paul on your kind offer.

Your GPU is not capable of delivering 5760 x 1080 x 32

Oddly, this is what Nvidia is "recommending" from it's available resolutions in surround mode. 4096x2160 isn't even in the list to select. I can see where a second 660ti would improve things.

I am going to proceed now with redoing my fsx.cfg file so that I have virgin ground to play with.

RM Killins

What cooling system do you have, RK?....

..and what's the temp like under load - or when FSX is running?

Redid my fsx.cfg file ... it is clean and untouched with the exception of Steve's fixer stuff.  Attached.

With same testing scenario, framerates improved 15-25FPS averaging 22, with random spikes as low as 8.

I've attached the following temperature:

System in idle

5yjh.jpg

FSX running in the same scenario as the original post

hcw1.jpg

System under 100% load using Prime95 for 15mins

5a5n.jpg

RM Killins

Well - this is good, RK.. She does pop up to 4.3 gig, which isn't too shabby, but you can do more. Grab this file, and copy your existing fsx.cfg to safety, then follow the changes outlined, using every one of the figures shown, then do another flight or two, while i take a look at this config, and then come on back with the results.  Thanks,

Here you go, RK. It will be a lighter load, while still giving modest graphics, and a slightly higher, but steadier framerate, and hopefully, without stuttering....... ambitious, but we can try!     :wink: 

All the Best,

peej