Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

Pro-Atc or Radar Contact?

Voxatc traffic can be a bit low in the air at times but when en route in real life how much traffic can you really see? Especially with weather, too easy to bring up an AI teaffic window to see whats around.

With the default, RC, and PFE, en route traffic is not minimal.

I'll be honest dont know why people accept pressing buttons to reply/talk to ATC, we strive for realisim yet were happy to press buttons to communicate, bit 1980's tech nowdays

Because there are people who don't care for talking to computers. Besides, you can talk to both RC and PFE and not use buttons.

Because there are people who don't care for talking to computers. Besides, you can talk to both RC and PFE and not use buttons.

Only with MCE, but it works very well, and pretty much puts them on equal footing with VOXATC in that regard. I've had RC, and tried VOXATC, but for me I prefer PFE.

How is it with AI generation? I heard that once you are airborne, there is minimal AI planes.

i would say it does less than the default ai, but i do occaisionalyl see planes around. i keep my voxatc slider density fairly low, however, at 30-40% which gives me a half dozen or so planes at the airports i usually fly at. it might have more if you crank that up.

that works ? didn't know that.

does the fo do it automatically or do you have to press buttons for it ? (e.g. like the fsx atc menu)

like I want another approach or another cruise level ? how to tell the fo to do it ?

if you turn on the FO it basically handles everything, tuning radios, acknowledging instructions, etc. you can still hit the '0' key to bring up the menu to ask for things and then then the FO will do it for you. i actually use this feature a lot with heavy planes to help with the workload right after takeoff

Because there are people who don't care for talking to computers.

hahaha! yeah, actually i thought the idea was kind of silly at first but i found once i tried it that it's quite enjoyable, it makes it alot more immersive than i expected

I downloaded VOXATC demo and gave it a try. I have done 7 flights so far including a transatlantic flight.

OEDFOMDB

OMDBOEDF

KLAXKPHX did it twice

KJFKEGLL

OMDBOERK

EDDKEGCC

Pros:

1. ATC procedures are the best of them all and varies from region to region.

2. It generates its own AI traffic.

3. Ground handling is superb.

Cons:

1. At some airports, it uses only one runway. At OMDB it uses only 30R for takeoff and landing.

2. AI traffic is very poor. I use WOAI and it generates airport traffic very well, but en route is another story. When en route it generates traffic only behind you and very minimal compared to the default even at 100%. On my transatlantic flight, I saw two Cessnas over the Atlantic, 300 miles off Ireland. And all other planes were at flight levels 200 and 230.

I was thinking of buying until I heard that PROATCX update is being released soon. I decided to wait and see how it pan out.

2. AI traffic is very poor. I use WOAI and it generates airport traffic very well, but en route is another story. When en route it generates traffic only behind you and very minimal compared to the default even at 100%. On my transatlantic flight, I saw two Cessnas over the Atlantic, 300 miles off Ireland. And all other planes were at flight levels 200 and 230.

Naif,

This has always been my only major complaint with VOX. You rarely ever see any traffic enroute. It's especially strange when you're inbound to a major airport where there should be traffic everywhere. Otherwise I like it a lot.

I suggest that the topic starter includes a survey to this topic with preferences for all ATC addons, in order to see which one is the most chosen.

Last night PFE surprised me with unexpected vectoring to the LEBL runway 20, which has no ILS (not a big deal), and it is shorter than main runways. I suspect it is due to wind, but... runway 20 = mag 200, and the wind was 180@5kts, which is a tailwind? I didn't found any option in PFE to alter wind settings. How RadarContact handles runways and winds?

I suspect it is due to wind, but... runway 20 = mag 200, and the wind was 180@5kts, which is a tailwind?

Tail wind? Think again. It was 20 degrees off the runway heading. 020@5kts would have been a tail wind. :wink:

In that situation I would have requested Rwy 25L with an ILS.

Runway 20 is 200 degrees. Runway 02 is 20 degrees. But yes, I should requested another runway.

I have use PFE and default ATC. I now use VOXATC.

In my opinion PFE is good, I do miss the natural voices especially around the Caribbean but VOXATC beat then on real world phraseology and stars when following charts.

Also VOXATC has improved the voices lately with some upgrades and on the ground AI traffic control.

Runway 20 is 200 degrees. Runway 02 is 20 degrees.

Yes, so a wind 180@5 is 20 degrees off, not a tailwind, as Ray said. 200-180 = 20. Easy arithmetic.

Perhaps you don't realise that wind is always known by the direction it is coming FROM not where it is going TO! A North wind comes from the North!

Pete

Yes, so a wind 180@5 is 20 degrees off, not a tailwind, as Ray said. 200-180 = 20. Easy arithmetic.

Perhaps you don't realise that wind is always known by the direction it is coming FROM not where it is going TO! A North wind comes from the North!

Pete

Ok, so that was a headwind. :lol:

I admit, I always mix up runway heading and wind direction. :blush: Also, shift+z info in FSX shows wind NN Mag @ NNkts. I suppose that is the direction it is coming from? I can recall that I saw somewhere (maybe in some weather addon), that shows the direction the wind is going to.

------------------------

BTW what's wrong with RC4? I installed it again today just to compare it to PFE, and it didn't worked good at all. It didn't gave me vectors after takeoff, only altitude. And when I activated GPS mode to follow flightplan, RC4  said that I don't follow a flightplan, turn heading NN to recieve further directions bla bla! :blink:  What the...? I remember that I didn't had this problem before, or I'm just used to PFE.

Also, shift+z info in FSX shows wind NN Mag @ NNkts. I suppose that is the direction it is coming from?

Yes, it is.

I can recall that I saw somewhere (maybe in some weather addon), that shows the direction the wind is going to.

In that case avoid that software because the author doesn't know what he's doing. Wind is ALWAYS quoted with source, not destination.

BTW what's wrong with RC4?

Not a lot. i use it all the time. it is still the best ATC for me. There are a lot of little niggles, like its impatience, but really it is very professional and realistic.

I installed it again today just to compare it to PFE, and it didn't worked good at all. It didn't gave me vectors after takeoff, only altitude.

Why would you get vectors to folow your flight plan? That's not realistic. You'd only get them if there was a reason to divert, or because your first flight plan waypoint was a long ways off and RC got you to "fly runway heading", then later gave vectors to that first waypoint. With most flight plans there's no need for vectors at that time, nor anytime en route, only on arrival.

And when I activated GPS mode to follow flightplan, RC4  said that I don't follow a flightplan, turn heading NN to recieve further directions bla bla! :blink:  What the...?

Sounds like you missed a waypoint -- probably too far from it before you activated your GPS. You need to pay attention. If you do miss a waypoint try requesting direct to the next one.

Please put your specific RC questions on the RC forum.  There are very helpful people there.

Regards

Pete

• Upvote 1

PFE is giving vectors soon after takeoff. It is giving directions to instersect a flightplan.

I usually create a flightplan VOR-to-VOR, so it is very similiar to direct but it has few VORs (waypoints). I really don't know where to put first waypoint when using RC4, with PFE flightplans are good. The differences between two ATC addons are really annoying. I thought that PFE is most realistic, especially because it is giving speed on approaches.

Please put your specific RC questions on the RC forum.  There are very helpful people there.

This questions are related to both addons, and the differences between them. Now I really don't know which ATC addon I OWN is most reallistic, PFE or RC4? Of course both programs have pros and cons, but I'm still convinced that PFE is really good, especially after your explanation of ATC wind&runway assignement.

Is there any way do disable certain runways in PFE? I read somewhere that is possible, but I didn't found the option. The problem is that AI is using shorter runways for takeoff and landing due to wind, and some runways are not used in the real world. Also, runway assignement is connected with weather addons (ASN, Opus, FSGRW, etc), so probably it is the best to disable AI reset due to wind.

s there any way do disable certain runways in PFE?

Yes. Start PFE. Press sid/star. look for box that says ICAO, type in airport, eg NZCH. Press Enter. Make sure FSX data is selected.

You will see a list of runways. Put an X in the little box to the left to disable that runway for TO or Landing.

B=Both. T=To Only L=Landing Only X= Closed

It is a great feature. PATC has similar, but does not work.

It will stay that way till you change it again.

Make sure you have used "Make Runways" and Runway csv is up to date.

• Upvote 1

Yes. Start PFE. Press sid/star. look for box that says ICAO, type in airport, eg NZCH. Press Enter. Make sure FSX data is selected.

You will see a list of runways. Put an X in the little box to the left to disable that runway for TO or Landing.

B=Both. T=To Only L=Landing Only X= Closed

It will stay that way till you change it again.

Make sure you have used "Make Runways" and Runway csv is up to date.

Yes! Thanks! ILS rulzzz. :lol:

Now I really don't know which ATC addon I OWN is most reallistic, PFE or RC4?

RC4 has correct ATC procedures for FAA and non-FAA areas. I don't know if PFE does but that would be a major consideration for me. If you fly in both North America and Europe that's essential for realism.

I don't know if PFE does but that would be a major consideration for me. If you fly in both North America and Europe that's essential for realism.

They both do Ray. But I do prefer RC4 for NA, (seems better for FAA procedures)  and PFE for rest of world.

They both do Ray. But I do prefer RC4 for NA, (seems better for FAA procedures)  and PFE for rest of world.

That puts PFE on a par with RC Julian. But RC4 should be as good for non-FAA as the procedures were also given by a professional AT controller. Each to their own of course. :smile:  I've never tried PFE as RC has always suited me.

I really don't know where to put first waypoint when using RC4

I am sure there are other ways of doing this but I just use PFPX and export my flight plans to FSX. So when I load them in RC4 it has the same information that is going into the FMC. Sometimes though the FMC shows "vectors" at the start of my flight plan because of the SID I am assuming but I just hand fly the plane to the start of the route if that happens. I don't think that is really how it's supposed to be done but I know VNAV, LNAV won't engage unless you are pretty much heading right for that first way point. 

Maybe RC4 would actually vector me to the first way point on my flight plan after the SID I actually don't think I have tried that. 

That puts PFE on a par with RC Julian. But RC4 should be as good for non-FAA as the procedures were also given by a professional AT controller. Each to their own of course. :smile:  I've never tried PFE as RC has always suited me.

Oh yes, you are quite correct. I prefer PFE in non FAA areas due to the larger variety of accents.

Anyway, Hope I don't have to re install RC4, as I lost my install file when I accidentally deleted it from my external Hdd. :blush:

Just to relate to the topic of this thread, I have just a little while ago, responded to a moderator over at the PRO ATC-X forum that says he tried RC4 and had so many problems, he did not even get out of the airport, so he dumped it in favour of PRO ATC-X.

I have both programs on my rig and have used RC4 for 3 years before trying PATC because of its advertised use of SIDS & STARS. I have made my opinions of PATC and it's developer support pretty clear over there and have and am taking quite a bit of heat for it, so I would be interested in the opinions over here on AVSIM on this comparison.

I have some personal pet peeves with RC4 myself, but who doesn't when it comes to personal preferences.

Regards,

I think RC4 is great. I am pretty sure RC4 recognizes both SIDS/STARS also. Adding the recreated voices was great. It sounds almost like a different program. 

Forget about ATC addons and try online flying....

Once you get in there and become familiar with procedures and communications you'll never fly again without it..

Regards