Sign in to follow this  
RafikPokrovskyMD80

FS Labs A320 Dev Update

http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F4912-some-news%2F

"Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Hi all,

Quite a bit of time since we updated you with our status... sometimes it's true that with our heads so deep into the code, it's difficult to come up and take a breath... there's quite a bit of development going on in the Labs, I won't tire you with the same old "it's very complex" reason, but it remains true today. Those of you who have read my status updates in the past will understand that my roots are in programming and development, so my skill set is more honed towards writing code than spreading hype and marketing fluff. As such, forgive me for sometimes forgetting that it's nice to put a little bit of text together for you all, if only just to say a nice hello and give you some heads-up on our status.

So - what's been going on:

We're doing great.

The team is working hard, as always and every new alpha release brings more functionality to our testers and advisers. Technical terms, such as "extended vertical profile calculations", "altitude/speed constraint triplets", "leg fuel prediction variability" are included in our daily discussions. While these discussions might excite me personally (didn't I say my background is in programming and development?), they don't offer themselves as presentation material for public consumption, not just because they tend to be dry in nature (calculating the Dx/Dy step for TCF/TAD predictions is in itself a matter of various US Patents but hardly instagram-worthy), but also because if we attempt to start such discussions in the forum, they have a tendency to diverge significantly into other forms of human fun (such as the displays we had recently).

We have also been working hard on the visual aspects of our simulation product - external model and virtual cockpit have been receiving lots of attention (always with the help of our advisers and testers). As is usual historically in such projects, code programming takes significantly longer than the development of visual elements, but in our case, we use that to our advantage - it's typical that some of our visual work has been done over more than once, as each round of alpha testing might identify elements that we wish to improve upon and beautify.

Why, then, "are we so late"?

Well, we are and we aren't. As I mentioned previously in my past "update" notes, I originally set the bar very high in terms of what we wanted to deliver, but failed to realize how hard that is in terms of development - in the past, all our simulation projects had been done solely with the entertainment market in mind, meaning that we were able to "cut corners" where corners could be cut (to a degree that would allow us to stay within the 18 month development time frame period).

With the A320-X family, we aim much higher - we want our product to be able to deliver proper functionality in so many different areas and each one requires absolute attention to detail. As such, where in the past we'd spend two-three days to develop the cabin pressurization system (for example) and call it "good enough" as a platform, in the A320-X it took us significantly longer to develop, as it tied into the bleed systems, our pneumatic simulation model and also took account of sealant leaks where they might play a role in the real aircraft. It also tied into the electrics wiring - the switches and knobs that control pressurization are properly tied into our electrical grid which meant that work in electrics had to coexist with the development of cabin pressure calculations.

This is but a small example of what attention we bring into our product - but it also means that we can't be accurate in estimating how long each system might take to fully be developed. Thankfully, it also means that when they are complete, these systems are so elegantly done they can be plugged into each aircraft type without requiring much more than the rewiring for each aircraft's input / output requirements.

I have been discussing with our team how we can bring some visual elements to life for you before our product is released. We have a few ideas that we will be showcasing in upcoming posts but for now, I just wanted to write you a small update just to say that we appreciate your continued support (it's amazing how much of that you keep showing us every day) and to ask for your understanding when there's some time between updates - I know it's frustrating, I've been there myself as a customer, but it's even worse as a developer because we're the first to want to give you the fruits of our labor.

That is all for now - I have asked Bob Lyddy, our new QA manager, to keep me honest in providing these updates so if I don't come up with a new one soon, you now know exactly who to blame (see how easy it is to point fingers elsewhere? smile.png ).

Talk to you soon!" 

I just bought the Aerosoft AXE so I am in no hurry. Will be interesting to see how this bird will compare.

I'm glad the FSL folks keep on reporting. Should also allow them to review the progress and receive a bit of feedback on the direction.

The fact that they're overdue isn't new, eh? I just hope it works out with all those details since I'm looking at it in the way VeryBumpy does. For just flying an Airbus, the Aerosoft rendition comes in very nice (for me). Also enjoying the low resource impact.

Still, looking forward to FSL progress and reports since the first 'very deep' Airbus in FSX remains is a thing of the future as it seems.

sure a lot of us waiting for a decent airbus, nice to have all the boeings, and yes I have the airbus extended, but before you know it, a new update comes out, and have to uninstall and reinstall, aerosoft too anxious to get it out.  I will be listening for this new airbus...

Wow, I'm just amazed at every update, I mean taking into account sealant leaks? Wow

The AXE is good enough for now I agree but when this comes out...oh boy!

I'll wait to see the final product before getting too excited about something we have barely set eyes on in what, 2 or 3 years?

David Porrett

Fair enough.

I trust them though

I do sometimes chuckle to myself -  Lefteris once said when asked in 2011 that if he were to release the 'Bus any later than the latter half of 2012 it would be far too late..... Two years later......

Still, shall look forward to seeing how it performs!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I have been reading about the different add-ons for our hobby and this one has me in somewhat of  a fear. I understand the good folks at FSL have all the intention to make the best thay can, if not the best add-on flight simulation has/will seen. What I am afraid of is that they take too much of a big bite just to realize after some years that the impossible is indeed, impossible. I am talking about the limitations within FSX. My understanding is that the Airbus airplanes are a lot more different than Boeings. I want to think that this is the reason why no developer has taken the seriousness in bringing an Airbus as high- end as PMDG has brought Boeing airplanes... Of course with FSL now being the exception. So, the question is, "Will FSL be able to deliver?" I guess we are trusting and awaitting on them that they will. However, and once again, keeping in mind the limitations on FSX, it might be necessary to cut a little bit of those corners to make it FSX functional. Of course, the ideal would be, not to have to; but again, even if it takes 10 years to develop, will FSX allow such complex airplane be 100% developed on $60.00 Microsoft 'game type' platform? Humm, we'll see. I really hope it can be done; but, as you can see even the folks at FSL are having a tremendous amount of difficulty- I hope the project is never abandoned!

Will FSL be able to deliver?

I will go out on a limb and say that yes they most likely will be able to deliver.  I am not sure that, personally, i have a compelling reason to upgrade from the Airbus X.

Ian R Tyldesley

PMDG have been creating FBW or 'fly by software' as they call it for years., VRS superbug has fully implemented FBW. I have been flying an airbus addon within FS9 with fully functional FBW and all related control laws and SECS, ELACS & FACS for nearly four years now.

Even with the limitations of a crude platform like FSX I see absouletly no reason why FSLABS cannot do the same. The difficult and time consuming part is coding the system logic, thousands of ECAM memo's & testing it as per FCOM & QRH, by no means easy however PMDG and other companies have pulled it off. It just takes time and patiance.

Rob Prest

PMDG have been creating FBW or 'fly by software' as they call it for years., VRS superbug has fully implemented FBW. I have been flying an airbus addon within FS9 with fully functional FBW and all related control laws and SECS, ELACS & FACS for nearly four years now.

Even with the limitations of a crude platform like FSX I see absouletly no reason why FSLABS cannot do the same. The difficult and time consuming part is coding the system logic, thousands of ECAM memo's & testing it as per FCOM & QRH, by no means easy however PMDG and other companies have pulled it off. It just takes time and patiance.

Ah, I see. That makes sense then. So I guess flightsim labs will be able to. I'm sure it will be a really nice airplane to fly.

Even with the limitations of a crude platform like FSX I see absouletly no reason why FSLABS cannot do the same. The difficult and time consuming part is coding the system logic, thousands of ECAM memo's & testing it as per FCOM & QRH, 

Electrics are probably the most time consuming part on our project. We have something in the region of sixty to seventy thousand electrical components running in our grid on the A320-X, which as you can imagine, makes tracing a bug rather time consuming. Given that the majority of memos have been coded, a task in itself that took over 2 years, we've often found ourselves tracing erroneous memos back through a vast network of components in an attempt to distinguish a possible bug, from a feature of the real aircraft. And even then, some aircraft on the A320 fleet behave slightly differently to others, due to varying versions of the systems their running (namely the SDAC's and FWC's).

The overall experience the simulation renders, however, is very rewarding. Hopefully, as Lefteris has recently commented, we'll soon be in a position to show some more of the Flight Sim Labs A320-X.

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Hi Andrew, good to see you posting here. On a semi-related side note, is there still a plan to have an updated service pack for the Concorde after the Airbus release? And are there any specific plans of what will go into that update?

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg