Sign in to follow this  
rcpistonhead

Vertical Stabilizer Configuration Warning?

I have had this happen twice, both at KSAN.

I set up the airplane and flight just like all the others but after I press TO/GA I get a warning "Vertical Stabilizer Configuration".

I have checked to see if any failures are active - there are none. All hydraulics systems are also functioning normally.

I tried ignoring the failure and continued the takeoff - once the airplane is in the air the warning goes away.

Any ideas? Kyle??

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Hi rcp,

See QRH page 15.3: "CONFIG STABILIZER" "The stabilizer not in the greenband during takeoff"
"If you feel completely lost, read the manuals" (B.G) :smile:

Cheers,

Hi rcp,

See QRH page 15.3: "CONFIG STABILIZER" "The stabilizer not in the greenband during takeoff"

"If you feel completely lost, read the manuals" (B.G) :smile:

Cheers,

Thanks "onduty". I looked this up in the QRH and understand the cause for the warning but what is the cause for the stabilizer to be out of the greenband??

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Once your stab trim position was calculated by the FMC and displayed on the CDU did you set it before attempting to take off?

Thanks "onduty". I looked this up in the QRH and understand the cause for the warning but what is the cause for the stabilizer to be out of the greenband??

Not setting the stabilizer in the green band?

... I kid, I kid. On the TAKEOFF REF page once you've completed preflight, it'll give a TRIM setting. Either use the trim guide to the left of the throttles (this is where you'll see the green band), or use the FCTL page to make sure your trim is set to the correct TRIM setting.

Hi Again,

So let's go back to basic aircraft preparation:

When you set up your FMC before flight, you go to PERF page. Here, you input your weights, cruise altitude, etc. Then the FMC prompts you to the TAKEOFF page, where you set your flaps setting, etc. There you will see the C.G. (Center of gravity) field. If you click on it it will present you with your actual C.G and your TRIM SETTING (like 3,75 or 2.65). Now go down to your pedestal and set your stabilizer accordingly.

But first of all read your manuals thoroughly and became a well qualified 777 pilot!

Good Luck,

o

I definitely had the trim set. I always set the trim after push back.

Just thinking to myself.... I use my rudder pedals to steer the nose gear and the left turn onto 27 at KSAN is a sharp one... Is it possible the warning is coming on because I am still steering onto the center line?? Just a thought...

(p.s. I absolutely love that everybody's first assumption is not reading manuals or doing tutorials...both of which I have done ^_^

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I had this problem yesterday, and the trim was set properly.

Jacob Fuqua

I had this problem yesterday, and the trim was set properly.

You didn't read the manuals, do the tutorials or have any experience either?!

just kidding.. I couldn't resist :P

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Oh, I see... It seems to be beyond my knowledge then, I can explain a lot of things about the the 777 but nothing about computer/software problems or bugs.

Airplane wise: this warning should be ON only if the the STAB not in the green band! No connection to rudder or tiller steering, runway alignment or any other things.

Sorry all, if I misjugded your competency.

o

Is it possible the warning is coming on because I am still steering onto the center line?? Just a thought...

Yes. The rear 2 wheels on each main gear are steerable; they need to be locked straight for takeoff. I've not tested myself, but knowing the detail PMDG include, I expect that's one of the config warnings they've modelled.

edit: sorry, the above will lead to a config warning, but nothing to do with the stab.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think there is a confusion here between vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer. The trim I believe is horizontal stabilization, but the vertical stabilizer akin to rudder stabilization. If you are in the act of turning onto the runway, with the rudder having a degree a deflection to it, and you engage TO/GA, then the 777 might have an issue with that, for good reason. TO/GA can only be activated when the plane is lined up with runway heading, and to begin the take off roll you need to start with neutral control inputs (except for brakes, if desired).  

I'm not 100% certain, but I think there is a confusion here between vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer. The trim I believe is horizontal stabilization, but the vertical stabilizer akin to rudder stabilization.

I believe you are 100% correct. I am interpreting vertical stabilizer as rudder.

I think some people are confusing the vertical stabilizer with elevator trim (because it makes the airplane go up and down?)

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

you sure the message was "Vertical Stabilizer Configuration"?

Absolutely positive. jakef, as mentioned above, also had the same warning message.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485