Sign in to follow this  
Rockbuster

JS4100 GOIN NOWHERE

Hi,

Despite all attempts and many reinstalls as well as complete OS reinstalls I have the same result of loading up my JS4100 only to have blank glass gauges and no throttle function.

PMDG has helped all the way by resending activations to no avail!!! I sit in a useless cocpit, most recently I even had the help from PMDG to get a new download to see if mine was corrupt.

So I reinstalled everything....EVERYTHING including my Windows 7 64bit.....and.....nothing   ...:(

I am now very open to any suggestions or perhaps I am overlooking something ????

Thanks in advance for any help

Brandon.

I am now very open to any suggestions or perhaps I am overlooking something ????

If this is continuing despite complete reinstalls of the OS, my thought (with 90% certainty) is that it's part of your process.

Are you running the installer as an administrator?

Do you have a virus scanner that is potentially interfering?

...can you tell it to stop temporarily during the install?

...do you have it ignoring your FSX directory?

After installing, are you getting prompts for the registry?

...for the gauges?

......are you saying yes to the gauges prompts?

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for your  help....

no not as administrator

virus scanner not putting up any flags

didnt try to stop it temporarily

it didnt ask for FSX directory

got some prompts but none with gauges from memory

no not as administrator

Just as a precaution, you should run any FSX-related installer as an Admin.

You should be able to re-run the installer over the current installation to fix it.  Right click, select "Run as Administrator," and it may just start installing.  If not, it should present an option called "Repair."  Use that.

virus scanner not putting up any flags

It might not flag it.

didnt try to stop it temporarily

If nothing else works, try this.

it didnt ask for FSX directory

Wasn't referring to the installer.  I was referring to your virus scanner (that was the reason for the ellipses under the virus scanner comment).  Go to your virus scanner and look in the settings for "exclusions" or "ignore folder/program" type settings.  Tell it to ignore the entire FSX directory.

got some prompts but none with gauges from memory

They would've been .dlls and/or gauges.  If you clicked No on any of those, it could cause issues.  The fact that you don't remember is somewhat worrisome, but if you remember clicking Yes, that shouldn't be the issue.

Kyle Rodgers

Just in case no one else has mentioned it, do not install FSX in the default c:\program files.

It was fine in XP (when FSX was written) but wont work since then as FSX has configuration files that it updates. Windows (since vista) stops running programs from changing stuff in protected directories, and that includes C:\program files.

Use somewhere like C:\FSX instead.

Windows (since vista) stops running programs from changing stuff in protected directories, and that includes C:\program files.

For clarity:

Unless you have admin rights ("full controll") to the folders, and/or the program is run as an admin.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi

Thanks for your replies , I recieved a message from PMDG and it suggests that the probem is in fact deep in the planes programming and that I must follow the FSX uninstall on their site proceedure to attempt to repair the problem....so here gooes AGAIN

Any other suggestions before I do this????

Yes if your going for  another  fsx installation  i suggest as paul suggested, to  install  fsx in its own root drive eg  c:/ fsx    as with any other  addon you install,  and install it  as admin rights  with your avg  disabled

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

For clarity:

Unless you have admin rights ("full controll") to the folders, and/or the program is run as an admin.

Even Full Controll doesnt allow full rights....in regards to the ''Program Files''

If you try to edit, for example, a cfg file, it will ask you where you want to save it ( normally you make changes, you click ''save changes, notepad closes with changes saved)

If fsx is resided in program files, when you do the same action as above, it will ask you where you want to save the edited cfg file, but without the option to save it in its original place, as the oriigin is located within 'Program files'

Its in the name..'Program Files'...windows see these as files that are required to run a program...letting the user change these files can cuase the ''program'' to stop working.Therefore windows (7) will not allow you to potentially break your computer.

Trust me, when i was beta testing for Aerosoft and my sim was in program files, it was a major headache as i needed to manually enter scenery files / cfg files, and hence learnt the hard way.

As said above, install into C:/FSX

If you try to edit, for example, a cfg file, it will ask you where you want to save it ( normally you make changes, you click ''save changes, notepad closes with changes saved)

That hasn't been my experience.  As someone who's constantly working in those files, as long as you have given your user account proper access to the folders, it shouldn't be an issue.  If you don't, you'll continue to see what you're seeing (and likely a "Compatibility Files" ghost folder where it "saves" the changes to those CFGs, INIs, etc, until the program exits, and then it deletes them).

That being said, for FSX, it's just better to avoid that issue altogether by installing outside of that directory. as you mentioned.

Kyle Rodgers