Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

DX10 , Steve's Fixer and Aero theme

I has anyone tried this combination, of dx10, teve's fixer and enable Aero theme ?. Is the quality any better.

I had standard in windows 7, enabled Aero theme, and got ctd on startup with level-d.

Has anyone experienced this ?, any fixes ?

Does Aero theme in win 7 improve the experience ?

Any info, help appreciated.

.. thanks... Hari

The Aero theme is disabled when you start FSX.  It's never on with FSX running.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The Aero theme is disabled when you start FSX.  It's never on with FSX running.

Best regards,

Jim

That's true but I can be restarted after FSX starts..

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/375526-addendum-to-vsync-fix-windowed-mode/

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yep indeed... i use the batch file to start FSX and works a treat as above...

Thanks Word Not Allowed!!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I use FSUIPC to reactivate aero... more elegant than a batch. FSX does have annoying quirks with aero though.. sometimes when minimizing fsx, it won't restore.. solution: hover fsx taskbar icon and press alt+tab, that will make it go full screen. Then, you can just alt-tab again and get back to windowed.

That's true but I can be restarted after FSX starts..

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/375526-addendum-to-vsync-fix-windowed-mode/

gb.

I would not recommend it.  I can see now why so many people are having problems with getting good DX10 quality graphics.  Just so many conflicting guides out there.  Just follow Paul's AVSIM guide pinned above or use the latest settings provided by NickN - http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would not recommend it.  I can see now why so many people are having problems with getting good DX10 quality graphics.  Just so many conflicting guides out there.  Just follow Paul's AVSIM guide pinned above or use the latest settings provided by NickN - http://www.simforums...topic36586.html.

Jim,

Strange..

But no matter what I do, I simply cannot seem to overcome screen tearing in the windowed mode without AERO.  I use the batch file to re-run aero after starting FSX.  I have tried tinkering with NI, FSX cfg file, DX10 fixer and all other combination of sorts....just does not work.

I have the following tweaks in the fsx.cfg

Highmemfix=1 

usepools=1 (I lose fps and smoothness if I use usepools=0)

No Affinitymask=14 for my system.  Not smooth if I use this tweak

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

What would you suggest I should look at?

Using a GTX670 with a i7 2600K o'clocked to 4.4Mhz

Ted

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

What would you suggest I should look at?
Using a GTX670 with a i7 2600K o'clocked to 4.4Mhz

I use to have the GTX 680 and the i7 2600K and had my system overclocked to 4.4GHz (not MHz as you indicated ^_^ ).  I saw no screen tearing in Windowed Mode but I mostly flew in Full Screen mode.  You definitely get better fps in Full Screen mode.  I did not (and do not now) use tweaks except that I set my LOD_Radius to 6.5 and my Texture_Max_Load to 2048 (which is HD).  I set my sliders as recommended by Orbx/FTX in all of their manuals.  I have the 30 inch Dell monitor so maybe it's the resolution that's causing you problems.  I think too you need to look at your NI settings.  I follow the guide in NickN's link I provided above.

You have a very good system which should run FSX well without throwing in all kinds of tweaks/optimal settings.  Try to fly in Full Screen mode as much as you can.  Make sure the WideScreenView is set to True if you have a widescreen (most monitors are widescreen today).  The DX10 Fixer is not a holy grail (and neither is DX10 Preview) for graphics.  It is a basic setup for DX10 which Microsoft was unable to finish before the Aces Development Team was released.  Steve has fixed as much as he can given what he has to work with.  It should give you better fps though (a 10-20% increase in most cases) and of course you will see better water, better shadowing, and shadows in the VC's (most of them).  So I strongly recommend you (and others with systems like yours or higher) go back to the basics and run FSX w/o all those tweaks/optimal settings.  Keep your fsx sliders at a conservative level (in other words, don't max all of them out).  Paul has some excellent fsx settings as well as NickN in the guides I provided the links to above.  As you can see, NickN does not believe in all of these tweaks/optimal settings too and I think you are just doing more harm than good.  It is nice though to try out tweaks but get rid of them if you really don't see any MAJOR improvement.  They might work well in one scenario you are flying but will be horrible in other scenarios.  That's the nature of the FSX beast.  In one scenario you might be flying the default 737 over Orbx/FTX scenery and the next scenario you'll be flying the PMDG 737 or 777 over FSDT and MegaSceneryX stuff.

BTW, highmemfix=1 is really not a tweak but a setting in the Fsx.cfg that the Aces Team forgot to include in the SP2 upgrade and Acceleration.  It is really required.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

If you want to use Aero and don't want to mess with batch scripts or anything , just download this free utility. I've been trying to figure out a way to do this for years and he released it for free. No more flashing screens or any of that other garbage. They did that to FSX in a service pack to work around a bug in Windows Vista.

It is a reliable source , he is the creator of the P3D migration tool.

I'm surprised noone here has mentioned this he kind of released it silently and I just stumbled across it on his website. 

http://www.flightsim.ee/freeware/fsx-scheme-fix

What is the benefit of using Aero at all ? Just asking

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Aero  =  GPU acceleration

The way I understand it is that aero ( Vista and 7 ) uses desktop window manager -  making the desktop use hardware GPU acceleration instead of the old CPU bound rendering method. When you are bouncing it on and off like that  with " compatibility " settings then sometimes it screws up your game. My thought is that in the process of automatically turning it off it may also make certain things unavailable to FSX. Whatever the cause some people have discovered that having Aero ON  they get a small, sometimes large FPS boost. I've seen this affect other games as well  specifically the DCS series sims) fortunately they even included an option to have aero turn off or on.)

If you remember at the same time as FSX was released Windows Vista also came out.  Some people had issues with Aero, mostly due to low end video cards or onboard graphics with bad drivers, thus the compatibility setting. With FSX they opted not to have to support their new OS fully and just hard coded it to disable aero when FSX is running. Windows Vista eventually got better and drivers hardware and software got better and Windows 7 came out. By now most people don't need FSX do disable aero but since it is hard coded it still does. 

The other annoying side effect is Aero being turned on and off is screen flashing as it switches off hardware acceleration for your desktop.

I have to run with the AERO tweak, if I try without it I get flashing and random intermittent graphics in full screen mode. I have tried the fsx.cfg vsync settings under both graphics and displays and neither works for me.

Dave

Ah, I did get it working with the original fsx configuration, no aero tweak or restart, ie vsync in full screen mode and no vsync in windowed mode.

Interesting side note: With FSTramp in full screen, if I enable it I lose the vsync but FSTramp works in fullscreen mode.

Dave

I just found this thread and wonder if there is any new thinking regarding the use of Aero with FSX?

Enabling Aero using the fsx_scheme_fix program above I noticed in window mode some improvement with TrackIR (e.g., no momentary "distortion or breakup" when moving the view quickly sideways across the vertical bars that separate the window sections in the C172 cockpit). For some reason, however, this improvement did not carry over to the full screen mode.

I have Steve's DX10 Fixer installed and my GTX 660 GPU FSX profile setup with Inspector according to the DX10 How to Guide.

Thx,

Al