Sign in to follow this  
Rob Haynes

How Do I Downgrade My AMD Driver Software?

So, I finally figured out what has been causing my FSX problems where I get a black screen in windowed mode.  Apparently my AMD's newest software (v13.9) has an issue that causes FSX to run a black screen in Windowed Mode.

I read on the Aerosoft forums that downgrading back to v13.4 fixes the problem.

I tried to just install v13.4 and it said it installed, a  lot quicker than a usual driver update does, but my computer still says v13.9 and I get a black FSX screen.  I did restart my computer after the install.

I don't want to screw stuff up farther than I have, so what I want to know is the proper way to go back to v13.4.

When I first run v13.4 it asks if I want to "Install" or "Remove" my software.  I am scared of removing the software and there being an issue.  Should I do it, restart the computer and then install v13.4??

Any ideas or help as to how I can get back to v13.4 for my AMD card and get back in the skies?  

Thanks!

I am running Windows7 64Bit with a AMD GTX5700 (If I remember correctly) video card.

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

Uninstall the current driver. Do it through programs in the control panel in Windows 7 using the Catalyst Install Manager do a full complete uninstall and reboot the computer.

I did that, and when I tried to install v13.4 my PC restarted on it's own and then said Windows couldn't start and has been sitting there for the last 10 minutes searching for the error.

Who would have though upgrading my driver would lead to such a head ache :(

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

Well after a lengthy 15 minutes my PC failed to find the error and shut off.

Now whenever I try to turn it on it get's to the black Windows screen then powers down again.

At this point I really don't know what to do or what caused the error during the clean install of the v13.4 software.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not too techy with this kind of stuff.

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

Guest JustanotherPilot

I had this problem and and made a post relating to it previously, what I did was to download the AMD removal tool from the AMD site, this removes all entries  of Catalyst, the drivers and registry. While your on the AMD website, download a few drivers (backwards) I've had to go back to 12.8 and 13.1 which I found were the most stable. Once you have restarted your computer after un-installing the previous traces use CUSTOM install (not Express) to reinstall your selected version. DO NOT install Catalyst or anything else other than the drivers needed. I have found Catalyst to be useless and causes all sorts of problems. As an added step I suggest you delete your FSX.cfg (google to find out how) file and let FSX rebuild another one. Forget about any tech support from AMD they have adopted the attitude that their product is superior and couldn't possibly cause problems.

Since doing this I've had no  CTD or visible deterioration in graphics, I'm also getting frame rates in FSX of 40-70fps! something I've never been able to achieve. I'm using the radeon 7750HD 2gig (no OC) card.

As I've said in the past as far as graphics drivers go, newest doesn't necessarily mean the best.

Hope this helps.

Well after a lengthy 15 minutes my PC failed to find the error and shut off.

Now whenever I try to turn it on it get's to the black Windows screen then powers down again.

At this point I really don't know what to do or what caused the error during the clean install of the v13.4 software.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not too techy with this kind of stuff.

I always find these kinds of posts confusing. I just built my 6th AMD Video card based simulator (I do this for other people wanting a home sim for training *single screen only so far*) and I have tested like 4 AMD cards and 2 NVidia in my current build and have been flipping drivers back and forth for years and never had this. But I definitely feel for you. It can be confusing and painful when this happens. Can you at least start in safe mode?

Did you, or, have you ever run driver cleaner and CC cleaner? I don't recommend that. I never do. I have seen critical files nuked by the process.

Did you or do you ever use restore points and restore to a previous time ever? I never do that. It leaves traces that can conflict.

Charles.

I had this problem and and made a post relating to it previously, what I did was to download the AMD removal tool from the AMD site, this removes all entries  of Catalyst, the drivers and registry. While your on the AMD website, download a few drivers (backwards) I've had to go back to 12.8 and 13.1 which I found were the most stable. Once you have restarted your computer after un-installing the previous traces use CUSTOM install (not Express) to reinstall your selected version. DO NOT install Catalyst or anything else other than the drivers needed. I have found Catalyst to be useless and causes all sorts of problems. As an added step I suggest you delete your FSX.cfg (google to find out how) file and let FSX rebuild another one. Forget about any tech support from AMD they have adopted the attitude that their product is superior and couldn't possibly cause problems.

Since doing this I've had no  CTD or visible deterioration in graphics, I'm also getting frame rates in FSX of 40-70fps! something I've never been able to achieve. I'm using the radeon 7750HD 2gig (no OC) card.

As I've said in the past as far as graphics drivers go, newest doesn't necessarily mean the best.

Hope this helps.

Don't install Catalyst? I personally would not follow that advice. I am an ATI user from way back (VGA Wonder Days) and used to be in the driver BETA's back in the day ATI. I know you get some people believing CCC is bloat ware but then in NVidia land (I have had dozens of these as well) we have their control panel and all that stuff. Then we run MSI Afterburner and so on. What's the diff? Personally I do not have problems with CCC ever.

The AMD Catalyst Install Manager has never failed me. But I always follow this simple rule. So this might be why?

#1. Before uninstall I reboot to release any locked files. I ensure RadeonPro or other VGA Utilities are also not loaded.

#2. I use the Catalyst Install Manager to do the "Express Uninstall All AMD Software" Option and at the end it asks if you want Catalyst Install Manager removed as well and I say yes.

#3. Then I reboot.

#4. I find any AMD folders on C: and delete them.

#4. Install the complete driver of my choice. ALL of it. Yes I do Express because I want all of it installed.

#5. Reboot again even though it does not ask.

I, and anyone I support this way, never have a problem. However. Now that I have said that, Murphy's law.... My computer will blue screen as soon as I start FSX and not come back up. LOL

I hope he gets sorted either way.

Charles.

I always find these kinds of posts confusing. I just built my 6th AMD Video card based simulator (I do this for other people wanting a home sim for training) and I have tested like 4 cards in my current build and have been flipping drivers back and forth for years and never had this. But I definitely feel for you. It can be confusing and painful when this happens.

Can you start in safe mode?

Did you, or, have you ever run driver cleaner and CC cleaner? I don't recommend that. I never do.

Did you or do you ever use restore points and restore to a previous time ever? I never do that.

Charles.

Unfortunately I can't start in Safe Mode.  When I power up my rig I get the ASUS screen with the option to hid DEL to go to the Set Up Menu, after that I goes to the initial black Windows scree then shuts off.

I tried to restore prior to the update and still had the FSX problem where my screen was black in windowed mode.

Now I can't even get to a restore screen since Windows won't even load after trying to install the v13.4 software.

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

Unfortunately I can't start in Safe Mode.  When I power up my rig I get the ASUS screen with the option to hid DEL to go to the Set Up Menu, after that I goes to the initial black Windows scree then shuts off.

I tried to restore prior to the update and still had the FSX problem where my screen was black in windowed mode.

Now I can't even get to a restore screen since Windows won't even load after trying to install the v13.4 software.

Might be straws here but...

Shut down.

Unplug.

Open Case and remove card and reseat card in slot and ensure it's plugged in well.

Re-seat the RAM.

Close it up and try to start it again.

No go?

Boot and enter the BIOS. Reset your BIOS to standard factory defaults and then try again. Back when I had my GTX660Ti and I was switching ATI for NVidia and back a few times I had this happen once.

If multi screen go back to single and try again with only one screen hanging.

Not telling you what to do but these are my desperation steps. Wife's calling. Gotta jet. Saying a little prayer for you.

This is a good guide if this is a Windows 7 issue you are experiencing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219533-troubleshooting-windows-7-failure-boot.html

Charles.

Guest JustanotherPilot

Don't install Catalyst? I personally would not follow that advice. I am an ATI user from way back (VGA Wonder Days) and used to be in the driver BETA's back in the day ATI. I know you get some people believing CCC is bloat ware but then in NVidia land (I have had dozens of these as well) we have their control panel and all that stuff. Then we run MSI Afterburner and so on. What's the diff? Personally I do not have problems with CCC ever.

The AMD Catalyst Install Manager has never failed me. But I always follow this simple rule. So this might be why?

#1. Before uninstall I reboot to release any locked files. I ensure RadeonPro or other VGA Utilities are also not loaded.

#2. I use the Catalyst Install Manager to do the "Express Uninstall All AMD Software" Option and at the end it asks if you want Catalyst Install Manager removed as well and I say yes.

#3. Then I reboot.

#4. I find any AMD folders on C: and delete them.

#4. Install the complete driver of my choice. ALL of it. Yes I do Express because I want all of it installed.

#5. Reboot again even though it does not ask.

I, and anyone I support this way, never have a problem. However. Now that I have said that, Murphy's law.... My computer will blue screen as soon as I start FSX and not come back up. LOL

I hope he gets sorted either way.

Charles.

I offered my solution to the problem, I found that with Catalyst installed I had problems, since removing all but drivers no problem! Horses for courses.

So, I finally figured out what has been causing my FSX problems where I get a black screen in windowed mode.  Apparently my AMD's newest software (v13.9) has an issue that causes FSX to run a black screen in Windowed Mode.

I read on the Aerosoft forums that downgrading back to v13.4 fixes the problem.

I tried to just install v13.4 and it said it installed, a  lot quicker than a usual driver update does, but my computer still says v13.9 and I get a black FSX screen.  I did restart my computer after the install.

I don't want to screw stuff up farther than I have, so what I want to know is the proper way to go back to v13.4.

When I first run v13.4 it asks if I want to "Install" or "Remove" my software.  I am scared of removing the software and there being an issue.  Should I do it, restart the computer and then install v13.4??

Any ideas or help as to how I can get back to v13.4 for my AMD card and get back in the skies?  

Thanks!

I am running Windows7 64Bit with a AMD GTX5700 (If I remember correctly) video card.

Please refer to this tutorial to properly roll back an AMD card.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423624-ati-139-tutorial-get-fsx-working-again/

This also works well.

Also... Driver 13.4 is still best for FSX DX9 mode. With or without Radeon Pro.

C.

Be careful with the uninstall utility, it has caused a lot of problems for people.

Be careful with the uninstall utility, it has caused a lot of problems for people.

Really? that sucks...

On the half dozen or so ATI based FSX machines I work with, I only really ever use Catalyst Install Manager in Add Remove Programs and it does the job perfectly every time I go forwards or backwards in driver versions. Provided I do FULL removal of all AMD software option and reboot in between. :)

Charles.