Sign in to follow this  
justinxfan

Alt+Enter=Disaster

Help! I noticed that after a cross-atlantic flight, some things in the aircraft were not displaying correctly and I made the ghastly choice to press alt-enter. Result? 

This:

Edited by firehawk44
Image removed. Exceeded 1600W and 400KB weight limits. Yours 548KB's. See Image Posting Rules under Forums Menu above.

It is a pretty well known fact that FSX runs low on Virtual Address Space (VAS) after long flights.  I see you are running a Windows 8 Evaluation copy.  Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?  The 64 bit version will handle memory a bit better.  The image appears to be showing memory starvation.

Do you have the uiautomationcore.dll in your main fsx folder?  If so remove it.  It is not compatible with Windows 8 plus it was just discovered there is a memory leak associated with it - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885482

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Do you have the uiautomationcore.dll in your main fsx folder?  If so remove it.  It is not compatible with Windows 8 plus it was just discovered there is a memory leak associated with it - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885482

Best regards,

Jim

No, that is not correct.

If FSX tries to use the Windows 8 system  uiautomationcore.dll, it will crash after a few uses of the menu.

It is a necessity to use the Vista version in the FSX folder.

Your link points to a problem with the Windows 8 version which FSX cannot use and does not use with the Vista version in its root folder.

Regards,

Nick.

NickN stated in one of his forums that the uiautomationcore.dll in the main FSX folder is NOT compatible with Windows 8.  I'm only going by information I gain from experts.  Moreover, in Windows 7 it only fixes repeated hits at the fsx menu and not Alt Enter and stuff like that.  Repeated hits on the FSX menu only.  Even Word Not Allowed stated this in his FSX guide, but I digress....

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim,

I am going by experience, FSX will not work properly under Windows 8 unless the earlier version of

uiautomationcore.dll is in the FSX folder.

It will always crash, the only variable being how long it takes to do so.

By default, there is no uiautomationcore.dll in the FSX folder and in its default state, it therefore uses the version included in the OS system files.

The Windows 8 version is not compatible with it and FSX must therefore be guided to the earlier version.

Since it looks for this file first in the FSX folder, if it finds it, it no longer uses the system files version and works properly.

Your link suggests that the fault found is in the Windows 8 system files version which FSX cannot use.

I have a great deal of respect for NickN and have read most of his output.

I think it very unlikely that he did say what you assert, I am sure he is only too aware that uiautomationcore.dll is not a component of FSX.

The OP's problem appears to be entirely due to having used all of the available VAS during his flight, though I did not see the picture, I assume that there were missing textures.

The use of Dx10 might well alleviate this problem but that's another issue altogether.

Regards,

Nick

Answers:

Yes. I do have uiautomation in my root FSX. It helped my game from crashing when doing thighs that require the loading thing to come up. It's strange that it it says that mine is a evaluation because I have a legit registered version. I have a 64 bit and my drivers are updated to the latest.

I managed to get things going by opening the main panel in the instrument panel and now it looks like this:

It's strange that it it says that mine is a evaluation because I have a legit registered version.

I saw that you had the evaluation copy as you had entered it in your AVSIM PC profile.  You might want to update that information.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I have a great deal of respect for NickN and have read most of his output.
I think it very unlikely that he did say what you assert, I am sure he is only too aware that uiautomationcore.dll is not a component of FSX.

I understand what you are saying but do not appreciate being called a liar.  I do a lot of reading, a lot of research every day.  NickN is just one of my Sources.  He did make the statement in his latest FSX Bible - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html but he has the capability of being able to edit his guide whenever he wants but the latest statement is as follows:  "WINDOWS 8 USERS: I can not define the use of this fix for Windows 8. It may or may not be needed or it may not work or create issues with Windows 8."  His guidance on the use of the automationcore.dll is located in Chapter 4, Verse 2 at that link.

Submit News to AVSIM

I counted after 68 times of alt-enter,  finally got the VC and exterior view back, although the floor of the cockpit was missing, but it didn't really matter. I then was able to make a visual approach into rwy 22L in KJFK. But it's strange this took such a long time to be corrected. 

I understand what you are saying but do not appreciate being called a liar. I can not define the use of this fix for Windows 8. It may or may not be needed or it may not work or create issues with Windows 8."  His guidance on the use of the automationcore.dll is located in Chapter 4, Verse 2 at that link.

Not for a moment did I think or suggest that you were not telling the truth and I don't know what you read by NickN, however, I understand what you have quoted to be a long winded way of saying  that he does not know.

I am simply saying that the fix is indeed required and to advise someone to remove it is not the best advice.

Regards,

Nick.

Not for a moment did I think or suggest that you were not telling the truth and I don't know what you read by NickN, however, I understand what you have quoted to be a long winded way of saying  that he does not know.

I am simply saying that the fix is indeed required and to advise someone to remove it is not the best advice.

Regards,

Nick.

You did call me a liar:  "I think it very unlikely that he did say what you assert, I am sure he is only too aware that uiautomationcore.dll is not a component of FSX".

And I'm saying that to advise someone to place it in their main FSX directory is not good advice (unless they are having Menu crashes).

Submit News to AVSIM

I think we are separated by a common language.

My intention was to suggest that you may have misunderstood him,

not that you were asserting that he said something that he didn't.

Regards,

Nick.

That makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM