Sign in to follow this  
matt127

AMD 13.9 Tutorial - Get FSX Working Again

Hello,

Thanks for the help, BSOD still there. What I've done, according to your instructions:

Download 13.9 again just in case. DONE

Download 13.4 to have it ready.DONE

Download .net 4.0 DONE

Reboot DONE

Install .net 4.0 It says "same version or more recent one already installed"

Reboot DONE

Install 13.9 complete over top of itself. DONE

Reboot DONE

Go into the Control panel in Windows and go to Programs

With the Catalyst Install Manager do a COMPLETE removal of ALL AMD Software and boot when asked. => BSOD

Sooooo ... I was thinking at 2 other solutions:

1- system restoration to a date when I was with 13.4 => Will it bring my system back to 13.4 or drivers are not concerned by restoration ?

2- I did read about a software called "driver sweeper", would it be a solution even if it looks like a last solution ?

Thanks !

Hello,

Thanks for the help, BSOD still there. What I've done, according to your instructions:

Download 13.9 again just in case. DONE

Download 13.4 to have it ready.DONE

Download .net 4.0 DONE

Reboot DONE

Install .net 4.0 It says "same version or more recent one already installed"

Reboot DONE

Install 13.9 complete over top of itself. DONE

Reboot DONE

Go into the Control panel in Windows and go to Programs

With the Catalyst Install Manager do a COMPLETE removal of ALL AMD Software and boot when asked. => BSOD

Sooooo ... I was thinking at 2 other solutions:

1- system restoration to a date when I was with 13.4 => Will it bring my system back to 13.4 or drivers are not concerned by restoration ?

2- I did read about a software called "driver sweeper", would it be a solution even if it looks like a last solution ?

Thanks !

Starting to wonder if the Windows default VGA driver is corrupt.

#1. Your BSOD is happening once you fully remove the video driver? Or during the uninstall. After reboot? Where in this process?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx#windowsvista

Meaning you get BSOD as it tries to get back into Windows? After the Welcome screen? Or at the Windows 4 color flag animation?

#2. This computer/motherboard does not have any built in/onboard video does it? If it does, make sure it is disabled in the BIOS.

#3. Do you know how to get to Safe Mode on your computer? If yes... Can you? What happens then?

#4. You dont have Antivirus running while you are tinkering with install and uninstall do you?

#5. Windows UAC (User Access Control). Is it turned down to minimum? Or do you have it at the default. I would disable it (slider to lowest position). Do you know what I am talking about?

#6. You could print this guide and follow it to the letter. http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=167211&enterthread=y

Saying a prayer for you if this does not help.

C.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I use win7-64.

#1The BSOD occures just before the end of the uninstall process. When I boot W7 again, in normal mode: BSOD again. Then I boot a second time using windows repair mode: W7 is back to normal operation, but nothing has changed regarding the driver.

#2 I don't think so, I got a ATI Radeon 5870 HD.

#3 I didnt"t try to uninstall in safe mode. I did read in the forum, that u can't do it in safe mode.

#4 I got Avira running when uninstalling.

#5 did not help.

So, I made a system restoration, bringing the PC 6 months ago -_-. Result is bad (programs upside down, 88 windows updates to do), but the driver is back to where it was at this time, 12.x or something. Actually, I never make drivers graphic updates, so I avoid such dramas, but Battlefield 4 needs latest drivers. So i'm gibing up BF4, and stick my spare time to FSX :)

FSX is back running, but got to reinstall PMDG T7 (RAAS crashing it).

Is there a way to check the VGA driver ?

So thank you ATI, you lost a customer.

And thank you C. for your precious help, really apreciated !

Hi! I'm new at this forum, but I really really need your help.

I have an Asus K53t laptop with two GPU's, Radeon 6480M and 6650M, so, I installed, by Catalyst, the latest RADEON drivers, and as far I can see only the 6480M used the 13.9 drivers, the other one used 8.901.

Of course, my FSX stop working, black screen loading the game or closes in flight by a "fatal error"

At first I tried to uninstall the 6480M drivers with the original drivers, 8.901,letting windows doing that, terrible mistake, my laptop stopped working, for example, windows explorer closes, music programs stop working, videos imposible to watch, so I did a restauration. Again, the 13.9 drivers only on my 6480M graphic card. 

Then, I tried to uninstall the 6480M driver as the tutorial here explains 13.4, and I saw both GPU's using those drivers!!!!, everything was excelent but I noticed something going wrong, I have an external monitor for playing (23') and when I started windows my monitor went black so my laptop screen, and I had to do a hard reset many times because both were black, even if I unplugged the external monitor. I read that my problem was a bad GPU driver, so, yes, restauration point again.

My laptop works excellent, even if I play Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2, but I have this problem with my favorite game ever.....

Here is a description of my laptop:

AMD A4 Vision

Radeon 6650M 6480M.

8gb Ram DD3

Windows 7

Someone with fresh ideas for a noobie??????????? Thanks in advance. (Sorry for my not too good english, I'm half german, half mexican)

I also am getting the BSOD as its booting back up after installing 13.4

I am so freaking done with AMD.

I also am getting the BSOD as its booting back up after installing 13.4

I am so freaking done with AMD.

How did you uninstall and reinstall the Driver? So strange that there are those that can go to 13.11 and back to 13.4 and then there are those that cannot.

After you tried the new driver and decided to go back, did you reboot once first. Then fully uninstall the new driver with Catalyst Install Manager and choose the EXPRESS UNINSTALL ALL AMD SOFTWARE option. In which case it then requires another restart? Then install Full Express option the 13.4?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

I have heard of people trying to reinstall 13.4 over a newer driver without a full removal first and getting BSOD from time to time. Is that what happened?

C.

Yep, I did exactly as the OP outlined, uninstalled everything properly.

And with all due respect to the OP, the issue I have with this "Tutorial" is that steps 2 and 3 are NOT recommended by AMD (The manufacturer) prior to uninstalling the drivers!

As a Desktop Support Analyst for 20 years with thousands of computers to look after, I have NEVER disabled a device in the device manager prior to performing an uninstall of that very device except maybe for a last resort measure when MANUALLY removing drivers from a screwed up system myself.

If your system is now having issues... Here is the a TUTORIAL for fixing it. If you can fix it that is. http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162444&enterthread=y

So had you done everything outlined here I am 99% sure all would be well...

HERE IS THE SUPPORTED METHOD TO UNINSTALL THE DRIVER

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

If you have a Windows 7 based system here is the method. Only thing I would do first is ensure that I have restarted once to unlock any locked files and if running Radeon Pro, Exit it. Then proceed.

How to uninstall pre-existing AMD Catalyst™ Drivers in a Windows® 7 based system

1. Click on Start
  2. Open the Control Panel
  3. Select Programs and Features
  4. Select ATI Catalyst Install Manager
  5. Click on Change

GPU-33_Image1.JPG

6. Click on Next when prompted for the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for ATI Catalyst™ Install Manager

GPU-33_Image2.JPG

7. Select Express Uninstall All ATI Software
  8. Follow the on-screen directions and restart the system when finished

GPU-33_Image3.JPG

9. NOTE! The Windows User Account Control (UAC) will prompt for Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?. Click on Yes to continue with the uninstall process

GPU-33_Image4.JPG

GPU-33_Image5.JPG

10. To verify that the legacy graphics driver has been uninstalled, return to the Uninstall or Change a Program list and ensure that there is no ATI specific software listed
  11. If ATI specific software is still listed, remove any remaining ATI software components using the above process and restart the system when complete

Hi! I'm new at this forum, but I really really need your help.

I have an Asus K53t laptop with two GPU's, Radeon 6480M and 6650M, so, I installed, by Catalyst, the latest RADEON drivers, and as far I can see only the 6480M used the 13.9 drivers, the other one used 8.901.

Of course, my FSX stop working, black screen loading the game or closes in flight by a "fatal error"

At first I tried to uninstall the 6480M drivers with the original drivers, 8.901,letting windows doing that, terrible mistake, my laptop stopped working, for example, windows explorer closes, music programs stop working, videos imposible to watch, so I did a restauration. Again, the 13.9 drivers only on my 6480M graphic card. 

Then, I tried to uninstall the 6480M driver as the tutorial here explains 13.4, and I saw both GPU's using those drivers!!!!, everything was excelent but I noticed something going wrong, I have an external monitor for playing (23') and when I started windows my monitor went black so my laptop screen, and I had to do a hard reset many times because both were black, even if I unplugged the external monitor. I read that my problem was a bad GPU driver, so, yes, restauration point again.

My laptop works excellent, even if I play Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2, but I have this problem with my favorite game ever.....

Here is a description of my laptop:

AMD A4 Vision

Radeon 6650M 6480M.

8gb Ram DD3

Windows 7

Someone with fresh ideas for a noobie??????????? Thanks in advance. (Sorry for my not too good english, I'm half german, half mexican)

Must only use the drivers from the laptop manufacturer. ASUS is good at keeping them mostly current. It is discussed here.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

Charles.

Thanks for all that. I basically just did the same as the OP but omitted the unnecessary steps you mentioned. 13.4 is successfully installed now.

What do you do when you've upgraded to Win 8.1 and it won't accept an AMD/ATI driver older than the 15.15 Win 8.1 installs.  FSX crashes as soon as Fly Now is pressed.  I got it to run by selecting DX10 preview in FSX but some textures are lost.  One of my favorites is Roy Chaffin's B-25 and it renders all white, even the control panel.  He tells me the B-25 won't run under DX10.

What do you do when you've upgraded to Win 8.1 and it won't accept an AMD/ATI driver older than the 15.15 Win 8.1 installs.  FSX crashes as soon as Fly Now is pressed.  I got it to run by selecting DX10 preview in FSX but some textures are lost.  One of my favorites is Roy Chaffin's B-25 and it renders all white, even the control panel.  He tells me the B-25 won't run under DX10.

#1. I assume this is Win 8.1 64 bit?

#2. What card do you have?

#3. Was this an "On the spot" upgrade? Meaning you were on Win7 and ran an 8.1 Upgrade on it?

Charles.

I've got the same problem running 13.9 drivers. After a lot of fiddling about the work around is to create a flight plan and then save it, still in flight planner select load and load the plan you just saved. It by passes the Fly Now button that causes the ctd. Hope  this helps.

One of my favorites is Roy Chaffin's B-25 and it renders all white, even the control panel. He tells me the B-25 won't run under DX10.

Make sure HighMemFix=1 is in the Graphics section. Have you tried AddonConverterX? This program works in demo mode so you can check to see if it works. It supposedly converts textures for FSX/DX10.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10