Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

P3D and a Six Hour Flight

Hi Guys,

Just ran a six hour flight from KSAN to PHNL. It's nice not having the CTD or OOM (as I would get in that other sim  :rolleyes:) after spending so much time setting up and flying the route. Nice to finish off a six hour flight with a dusk descend into PHNL.

Aloha

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Good for you Mike! I also did 6 hours flight from PANC to PADU with Carenado C208 last week. After that 3 more short (45mins) flights without closing P3d. Happy to found a stable sim at last.

That's great but. I've actually had more OOm's with P3D than FSX. Once I loaded all the sceneries and addons in. now V2 hopes to eliminate the OOM's issue by better use of the GPU. But 1.4 is no difference than FSX.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1653

Good catch! P3D is (still) a 32bit application ...

With the same scenery and aircraft as in FSX I've had OOMs in P3D 1.4 as well. But nice to hear you're having a blast! I always turn down the graphics settings for long flights to avoid OOMs - and save along the way frequently.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I wasn't having OOMs with Fsx either but lot of CTDs with same settings and scenery. I am still keeping my FsX installation and fly with it too. So, I know it's not a placebo effect.

V2.0 should take care of OOM's by using more GPU resources and able to use more cores. Also I think 2.0 will take advantage of SLI.

Regards

Lamar Wright

I've actually made it around the entire Earth without issue. Of course, I was cheating by adding fuel in a certain 737 while in flight, but the point was to see how long P3D would run. Started in Chicago, went up to Greenland, over London, down into Africa, over the Middle East, over Russia, over Hawaii and back to Chicago. The software handled it just fine.

I was cheating by adding fuel in a certain 737 while in flight

You know there is a checkbox "unlimited fuel"? I believe it's in P3D, much like FSX...

You know there is a checkbox "unlimited fuel"? I believe it's in P3D, much like FSX...

Hahahah- you are right. I completely forgot about that.

With the same scenery and aircraft as in FSX I've had OOMs in P3D 1.4 as well. But nice to hear you're having a blast! I always turn down the graphics settings for long flights to avoid OOMs - and save along the way frequently.

I've been doing some comparisons of long flights using both FSX and P3D V1.4. 

I have identical scenery, aircraft (iFly737 737 pro edition), MCE, VoxAtc, Gsx. 

My system is i7 with 8gb ram and a high end graphics card. 

All settings are at the high end for both sims. 

Results are that both sims will complete a 3hr flight ksea to klas using default scenery. 

Monitoring the memory allocation when the flight is running shows more or less the same, however if I use the fsdreamteam scenery for klas, P3D goes bust with the out of memory message as soon as I turn on to the locasliser, but fsx continues ok with a little stuttering now and then and a small frame rate drop. Memory allocation and vas is almost identical between the two. 

Conclusion is that P3D is very fragile with pay ware airport sceneries. 

I've repeated the flights several times to confirm the results, even turning down the texture and lod setting on the P3D doesn't help with the payware airport sceneries, still OOM. 

Regards Mike 

Mike, you cannot use the same settings in fsx as in p3d. A setting of dense in P3D is equivalent to very dense in fsx. You may not be comparing apples with apples.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Hi Guys,

Just ran a six hour flight from KSAN to PHNL. It's nice not having the CTD or OOM (as I would get in that other sim  :rolleyes:) after spending so much time setting up and flying the route. Nice to finish off a six hour flight with a dusk descend into PHNL.

Aloha

I flew that same route last week in my LD 767 with no issues in P3D. But I very rarely had OOM issues with FSX either. But P3D is a very sweet simulator.

Setting up my flight now from NZQN to YMML flying my NX ANZ livery. ^_^  ^_^ ^_^  

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Hi Will,

I'm not using the same settings... P3D is actually set higher than FSX on my system.

==========

P3D Settings

==========

Global: 2048

Scenery Complexity: Very Dense

Autogen Density: Very Dense

LOD: 6.5

Mesh Complexity: 100%

Mesh Resolution: 10

Texture Resolution: 1m

Light Bloom: Checked

Cloud Draw Distance: 100 mi

Cloud Detail: Detailed Clouds / Max Setting

Airline Traffic Density: 50%

General Aviation: 0

Airport Vehicle Density: High

Land & Sea Traffic: All 20%

==========

FSX Settings

==========

Global: 1024

Scenery Complexity: Dense

Autogen Density: Normal

LOD: 6.5

Mesh Complexity: 100%

Mesh Resolution: 19

Texture Resolution: 1m

Light Bloom: Not Checked

Cloud Draw Distance: 80 mi

Cloud Detail: Detailed Clouds / Max Setting

Airline Traffic Density: 30%

General Aviation: 0

Airport Vehicle Density: Medium

Land & Sea Traffic: All 10%

Mike, you cannot use the same settings in fsx as in p3d. A setting of dense in P3D is equivalent to very dense in fsx. You may not be comparing apples with apples.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

This is news for me, first time hearing about this.  Is this true? if so - I will have to update my suggested performance docs.  But all will have to change as P3D v2 release is very near.  But in interim, I will test lowering my autogen to normal as it might equate to FSX's dense setting. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)