Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tekneek

Is ATP career unrealistic option for me?

I'm asking here, because I'm not in flight school and need more broad answers.I'm getting ready to go to nursing school and plan on staying in medicine, however, I'll be finished in about 2 years (ASN degree). I plan on getting the lessons after I graduate, obviously, since I'll have the money and time. I don't think money will be much of an issue since nursing pays extremely well. My question is, how likely is it that I'd be able to earn all the necessary rating to fly commuters, business jets, or even large airline jets when I'm already 31 years of age?I know the salary can be much less and some airline jobs are difficult to get, however, I know I want to fly and still keep my options open in case I leave nursing.Another web site forum I was looking at gave most older people the notion that it can't be done and to stop trying. Are they just telling people what nurses tell me (even though I've worked in the field at large hospitals and know better) about how nursing sucks and to choose another job? What, if any, options would I have if I chose this route? Thanks in advance,Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest mikehaska

Essentially, No. (in my opinion).To get all the ratings (and flight hours) to get close to the "heavy iron", you'll need to do a lot of flying. It's expensive, time consuming, and the current career environment is less than friendly.Take a look at this thread- it has some good points of view:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchBut, if there's a will, there's a way so if you want to invest the time and pray for some good luck, go for it!

Guest RiddlePilot

First off, and ATP is a license, not a career. You need that license to do any flying for (most of) the big boys. Your age is your biggest drawback at this point. By the time you earn all your ratings, accumulate flight time, and are ready for the majors, you could quite possibly be 35 (going on the assumption that you won't be able to fly every other day for a couple of years due to your nursing job). Having to retire at 60 means you'll only give them 25 years of service. They're going to pass over you quickly for a 25 year old to get that extra 10 years out of them.I'm not saying it can't be done, but had you started even 5 years earlier, it would have been better.There are other options, corporate flying being one. If you've got connections in a business, you could begin flying right seat with a little multi time and a commercial/type rating. That could very possibly happen in under 5 years. And there's no mandatory retirement age for corporate.Go ahead and get your private, instrument and possibly commercial, and see how much you enjoy it. All in all, ~$15K should take care of that

Okay, thanks for the replies. I just wanted a barometer to gauge whether something like commuter turboprops or even corporate jet would be feasible. I realize the large airlines are next to impossible to get into, unfortunately. Thanks again, Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest B1900 Mech

Why not stay in nursing, Make some good money, Buy your own airplane, Have lot's of fun without throwing your personal life down the crapper, Working nights, weekends & holidays for low pay, and 500 times the responsibility! A medical worker can only kill one at a time, Myself as an airline mechanic can kill hundreds! I never should have gotten into airline maintenance, And I would tell anyone who ask's me for advice the same! And flying part 121 is no better.

Guest Tekneek

My best friend gave up his 'real job' at a bank, doing fairly well, to bet it all on being a full-time pilot. 9/11 hit before he was fully certified. When he was going through his training, he was working as a waiter to try and help ends meet with his wife. After he got his ATP, CFI, and CFII (and so on), he ended up answering phones for a few months while trying to get an instructing slot with the flight school he had been attending. Now, he is doing instructing and trying to make ends meet with a new baby. Needless to say, there is very little money coming in and the 'good jobs' are harder and harder to land. He says he has to go back to school and finish his bachelor's degree so an airline will actually consider him. What I mean to tell you is this...Get that nursing job, and do flying on the side. Don't think you are going to be able to make a career out of it. If it works out, and you get something good, then wonderful, but do not bank on it. Don't dream about it. Just have fun learning new stuff and flying. That nursing job is steady, and we will always need them. The demand for pilots as a career can change with the headlines.