Sign in to follow this  
MMartinov

HPSOV failure and its effects

Picture speaks best:

rtle.jpg

L ENG HPSOV VALVE... Now, after some net reading I found out that this valves being stuck in open or closed position should have affect on the bleed air system (too much pressure or respectively not enough). On the center display both duct have same pressure even though I would assume the left one should show some abnormal figures given the fact L ENG HPSOV has failed.

Any further info whether this failure has actually an effect on the plane?

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Any further info whether this failure has actually an effect on the plane?

Wrong synoptic...

FCOMv2 13.10.4

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry, High Pressure Shutof Valve is not part of the hydraulic system:

"When the engine is at low thrust, the air is drawn from the "High Pressure Bleed Port." As thrust is increased, the pressure from this port rises until "crossover," where the "High Pressure Shut-Off Valve" (HPSOV) closes and air is thereafter drawn from the "Low Pressure Bleed Port..."

Check your sources...

• Upvote 1

Regards,

From the system description, only one side should be affected.

Best regards,

Robin.

To get that in an abnormally high duct pressure you need this combo.

Idle the engine and once engine rpm is around the idle (Duct press around 30 psi range), fail the HPSOV. This will force HPSOV to go to full open and stuck there. After you fail the HPSOV also fail the PRSOV so the PRSOV can't modulate the valve to control the duct press to a normal range and force to stuck at full open.

I got 144 psi on cruise but could be much higher on ground. Have fun ;)

1380795_10200993765911246_750260541_n.jp

Check your sources...

...I did.  It was the only reference to an SOV in the entire manual.

If you're here to get help from people, it would be in your best interest to not alienate the help.  Just sayin'.

Kyle Rodgers

To get that in an abnormally high duct pressure you need this combo.

Thanks for the input. Does this mean that the HPSOV itself is an item that can be accepted on the MEL and dispatch the plane. Asking for 777 only, considering it has 3 bleed air points per engine (the 767 can't go with this failed for example). 

I was surprised to see this noted in the PMDG failures page but the plane itself gave absolutely no indication of a system malfunction. I might as well have flown with this in the past 10 flights without knowing. 

If you're here to get help from people, it would be in your best interest to not alienate the help.  Just sayin'.

cv8m.jpg

• Upvote 2

Regards,

36-11-02 High Pressure Shutoff Valves (HPSOV)

36-11-02-05 -200LR/300ER

One may be inoperative provided:

a. Inoperative HPSOV is locked closed.

b. Opposite engine bleed system operates normally.

c. Both outflow valves operate normally.

d. Associated engine bleed air is cycled OFF, then ON at 55% N1 or greater before takeoff.

I might as well have flown with this in the past 10 flights without knowing. 

Yup.  This is how in flight issues occur.  Failures aren't just sudden, obvious failures all the time as many would think.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the input. Does this mean that the HPSOV itself is an item that can be accepted on the MEL and dispatch the plane. Asking for 777 only, considering it has 3 bleed air points per engine (the 767 can't go with this failed for example).

I was surprised to see this noted in the PMDG failures page but the plane itself gave absolutely no indication of a system malfunction. I might as well have flown with this in the past 10 flights without knowing.

mmmm not actually on the 767 you can also defer the HPSOV (just one a on the 777 also). And the bleed Ports are only two like the 767 just a HPSOV and IPCV the prsov is just a press regulator and shutoff valve.

Mitchel Muñoz

cv8m.jpg

I suppose you could end up with a duct leak if it over stresses the "plumbing"

Justin whetstone

Not likely because you have one press regulator valve to avoid this condition and several procedures to comply in case of failure of the prsov.

Mitchel Muñoz

I suppose you could end up with a duct leak if it over stresses the "plumbing"

Justin whetstone

Not likely because you have one press regulator valve to avoid this condition and several procedures to comply in case of failure of the prsov.

Mitchel Muñoz

I've been experimenting with the air systems as well (and trying to recreate the above out of my own curiosity).  I've discovered though, regardless of the engine bleed air button position (at least with engines running on the ground or in flight), manually turning off an engine bleed air depicts the "OFF" overhead indication but the synoptic bleed air from both engines (green) appears to still be present (in all combinations of isolation valve and APU settings too).

Anyone else run into this or is this somehow another simulated failure or something I missed?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I've been experimenting with the air systems as well (and trying to recreate the above out of my own curiosity).  I've discovered though, regardless of the engine bleed air button position (at least with engines running on the ground or in flight), manually turning off an engine bleed air depicts the "OFF" overhead indication but the synoptic bleed air from both engines (green) appears to still be present (in all combinations of isolation valve and APU settings too).

Anyone else run into this or is this somehow another simulated failure or something I missed?

Shut off fine for me (besides a few seconds delay while the valve closes) unless the HPSOV has failed then I can't shut it off and it stays green.