Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

JS41 PFPX

Oh, just re-read your instructions again Kyle - I missed the fact that there's no need to do the descent at the different ISA devs. Does that mean that the data I've put in for 15000lbs already is enought for a 15000 lbs descent profile?

That ought to speed up things a bit...

Mas

Does that mean that the data I've put in for 15000lbs already is enought for a 15000 lbs descent profile?

Yeah, I don't recall seeing the parameter in the PFPX data requirement.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok 15000 lbs at 100% condition is DONE! I took a crack at 17000 lbs ISA=15.

I've had this week off from work, so I can't put as much runs in coming next week and foreward - I trust the lot of you to get climbing ;)

Just to re-cap:

Calculate ISA here: http://stevegriffinenterprises.com/isa-calculator.html

I figured out how to set the temp in FSX, but I frankly find ASN much more easy - use whatever method suits you. I usually cross check the SAT before TO and mid-climb, just to make sure my weatherprogram is doing its job....

..and put in the data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuwEGRHd1E2jdGZoYzc1QndoVFlNSXVMbVNFY3dDM3c&usp=sharing#gid=0

You can see on my data how it should be formatted, I think it would be nice if we kept the same format through out - also for Kyle in the end I assume... And remember - we only need 1 descent pr weight, and I suggest we do i at the ISA=0 run.

Mas

I would like to help but have several questions concerning the weather setup using ASN.

1. Could you check out my manual ASN settings below and let me know if they are correct for ISA +10. (tried to include an image but this was not possible.

Station: EKYT                                                Precipitation: none

Visability: 9999                                              Thunderstorms: none

Pressure: 0998 (should this be 1013)            Bypass synthesis: unchecked

All winds set to 000/0

Temps from ISA Calculator for all altitudes

METAR: EKYT 201846Z 00000KT 9999 NOSIG 25/00 Q0998 RMK EDITED WEATHER

2. The other questions I have concern weight. The published speadsheet does not tell me which weight is linked to the data set there. I suspect the it is 15,000 lbs@100%. It would therefore seem reasonable for me to start collecting data for 15,000 lbs@98% or jump to 17,000 lbs. Please give me your preference.

I am a keen pilot of the J41 and understand the need to establish it among the PFPX profiles. I fly with the Scandinavian VA and look forward to hearing from you.

JSMcWilliam,

I would like to help but have several questions concerning the weather setup using ASN.

Hi McWilliam - glad you wanna help out - I'm a SVA member aswell - great seeing you here!

I've published a screenshot of the ASN setup and the ISA calculator for ISA dev=+10: http://s354.photobucket.com/user/mas618/library/JS4100%20profiling

Weather Mode= Manual

Pressure=1013

Delete all cloud layers (some might be visible because of random creation)

Set range to 400 nm

Put in the temperatures as you get them from the ISA calulator I linked to.

I'm not sure of the "bypass synthesis" to be honest...? I don't think it matters much, but I have it checked, and my temps along the climb matched perfectly.

The spreadsheet is displayed differently on different browsers. In Mozilla, the different weights are displayed at the buttom. I've created one spreadsheet pr. weight class, so you have to choose the 17000 lbs spreadsheet, or you can do some 15000 lbs runs at 98% condition, as you wrote. Or start at 24000 lbs - doesn't matter really ;)

I'm going to bed now, but I'll check in forst thing tomorrow to check if you have further questions!

So excited you want to help out!

Mas

Guys:

ASN and other weather programs are great, but they really don't have much of a purpose here.  While they really add to the simming experience by making the weather believable over vast areas, where your weather picture adapts to what you'd see in the real world - regional changes, cloud cover and so on - we don't need that while testing.

For testing, it's all essentially worthless (and if variables change, the test data becomes less accurate).

Set it in the sim directly with no extra weather program interaction.  We don't need smoothing because the whole entire world could be ISA +5 and it wouldn't matter - we're just testing, not looking for a realistic weather picture.

By all means, do what you want to do as long as we can get good numbers from it, but use your brains: keep it simple.

ISA +5 is ISA +5.  FSX's ISA +5 is the same ISA +5 that ASN will give you.  It's not like you're getting a more quality representation of ISA +5 with external programs.

Kyle Rodgers

Thx for that explanation Kyle. My problem is I cannot figure out where to set the ISA DEV in FSX. I can only manually create wind/temp layers as I can do in ASN. I simply find the ASN UI better than the FSXs - is there indeed a way to directly set the ISA DEV that will affect the entire weathersystem in FSX?

Mas

JSMcWilliam:

Thanks - I seem to have the weather setup under control now and have found the other pages in the spreadsheet. Next question concerns weight:

1. Do I adjust this in the weight and balance calculator by changing no. of passengers, bagage amount until I get the right figure for ZFW or, as seems more likely, in the FMC planning section by adjusting the Basic OP Wt. so that the Gross Wt matches the weight I want.

2. Do you start recording of fuel burn and time when the throttles are increased or at lift off.

3. For 98% recordings I assume you have 100% until flaps up (about 1500 ft) and then adjust the condition levels to 98% and establish clb speed. This means that the plane is not properly configured until 2000 ft at the earliest.

This may sound finicky but it's the details that matter. 

JSMcWilliam (SAS1629)

This may sound finicky but it's the details that matter.

1. I make sure I have NO PAYLOAD. Next I have 2 passengers in every row. Lastly, I use my fuel to adjust my gross weight - you can see your gross weight in the FMC "plan" section, last page. (where you can also see total fuel onboard and fuel used). You almost forget about the loadsheet - the gross weight readout in the FMC is what's counting.

2. I reset fuel used and start timing, just before I advance the throttles. The TakeOff run should be considered part of the climb I think, as it also depends on temp and weight.

3. I totally agree - do it as you would on a regular flight - when you are established on a controlled climb in clean config, start adjusting to 98%... That's how most people do it I suspect.

And you're right - it is the nitty gritty details that counts!

I've started on the 19000 lbs, including the descent run.

It'll be a while untill a can fly again, as real life is catching up on me, but rest assured I will contribute whenever I have the time - I really really want that profile for PFPX!

Thx again...

Mas

Thanks again. I think I can start now and plan to begin with 15000 lbs@98%. It will take me a few runs to finetune the procedure so don't expect any results to be posted for a day or two.

JSMcWilliam (SAS1629)

That's just awesome McWilliam! We are all happy with whatever you can contribute with!

Mas

Copied some data onto the spreadsheet for you to check out before I continue. There did not seem to be a way of saving the changes so I don't know if you will get them. Sent a mail at the same time but uncertain if it goes to the right person and for that reason am write you again here. Questions:

1. In order to get my gross weight down to 15000 lbs I had to remove all passengers and bagage and could not carry enough fuel to get to FL260 (200l). I topped up after reaching FL230 with 60l and had 47l still in the tank at FL260. Is this the right procedure?

2. Unsure whether ASN installed the right ISA profile. The cabin indicated a TAT of -37C at FL260 and according to my manual  profile in ASN I should have had -42.5 at FL240 and -54.4 at FL300 i.e. approx --45C. however, this may be a misunderstanding on my part. How can I check this and should FSX weather be set up for "User defined weather"?

JSMcWilliam (SAS1629)

Hey - got your mail as well, but figured I'd answer here for the sake of everybody else. The Google doc autosaves all the time, so don't worry about that.

1. Same for me - had to toss out all pax and go low on the fuel. Anything that will get you as close to 15000 will work, but if you start at 15100 lbs, are at 15000 midway and top at 14900 then that's perfectly fine as well.

2. TAT will give you air temperature when heating from the friction against the aircraft has been added, so the TAT will always be higher than the ambient outside temperature. In stead you should check the SAT, (saturated air temp), wich is the air temperature of air trapped inside a small pitot and not heated from friction - should match the actual outside temperature quite well. You can get the SAT by pressing a small button next to the temp indicator in the cockpit. Correct on user defined weather.

3. Looking at the data, it seemes that you have used way more fuel than me. At the same time the climb took longer time and required a longer distance, so that could explain that, but at 98% you should hit use less fuel in general, if I understand it correctly - not sure if we got things right?

Kyle, can you elaborate on the numbers - does it seem correct to you, the discrepancy between 100% and 98% @ ISA DEV= -10?

MAS