Sign in to follow this  
hightower

WoAI American Airlines v4

After installing the new AA update v4, all the AA aircraft I have seen in FSX are the old colors. Just wondering if anyone else has seen the new colors? 

Thanks

I was going to install the package and use the models/paints to update UT2 since it heard it had FSX native models, but after extracting the files rather than installing them, I found that only the the 738 was a native FSX model, all the rest were FS9 models. Plus the 738 installs 2048 sized textures, not what you need if performance and AI are of a concern.

I did notice that not all the paints are the new colors. There are still some of the older colors. The only models that have new colors are the 763 GE, 763 GE, 777 200RR and 777 300ER. All the rest are the old colors or other variations. However there are some One World liveries that look pretty nice.

I ended up not installing the paints or models since they only included one FSX native model in the group.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

After installing the new AA update v4, all the AA aircraft I have seen in FSX are the old colors. Just wondering if anyone else has seen the new colors? 

Thanks

Where did you get this update from? I've been looking for an updated WoAI new AA and United merger for ages!

This file, and the other 4 major U.S. airlines with Summer 2013 schedules can be found at

http://www.world-of-ai.com/packages.php

I was going to install the package and use the models/paints to update UT2 since it heard it had FSX native models, but after extracting the files rather than installing them, I found that only the the 738 was a native FSX model, all the rest were FS9 models. Plus the 738 installs 2048 sized textures, not what you need if performance and AI are of a concern.

I did notice that not all the paints are the new colors. There are still some of the older colors. The only models that have new colors are the 763 GE, 763 GE, 777 200RR and 777 300ER. All the rest are the old colors or other variations. However there are some One World liveries that look pretty nice.

I ended up not installing the paints or models since they only included one FSX native model in the group.

Do you use UT2 or manually install your own flightplans from sources on the web like Alpha India or United Traffic Team?   From what I have gathered, the WOAI flightplans are just as accurate as the plans from these freeware teams because the flight schedules, and the paints assigned to the flights, are sourced from the same high quality developers who work within these umbrella groups.   It's Ghiom who contributes the Su13 plans for the 4 biggest U.S. carriers in this current batch (American, United, U.S. Airways, and Delta), but he is a widely respected contributor in the Alpha India forum.   Regarding the presence of just a few new AA colors, this is simply an accurate reflection of the slow transition from the old AA to the new AA paints.   A few new AA colors trumps having none, and the WOAI installer makes the install so quick and simple, what do you have to lose?

I understand the concern about the 2048 px textures, as I have followed your advice to watch out for improper texture sizes in the sim and have adopted the practice of mipping AI,scenery, and even PMDG livery textures to improve IQ and increase performance by reducing overhead on the CPU/GPU.  But from what I have read on the AI forums, the use of these hd like textures on the new FAIB FSX AI models has a negligible, if any, impact on performance because so few AI use these bigger textures. 

The performance benefits just from having a native FSX model like the FAIB 737-800w replace the FS9 Aardvark 737-800w alone will more than make up for the increase in the texture size, but I suppose you could just downsize the 2048 file to 1024 or 512 if it suits you.

Please give the new WOAI plans a chance, we are lucky that WOAI has resurrected itself thanks to the help of freeware authors like Ghiom who have been working all throughout the past few years contributing timely flightplan updates to the DIY crowd, like myself, and now are offering those accurate flightplans and paint assignments to the wider flightsim community who are not as AI obsessed or inclined to manual fiddling of the simobjects folder like yours truly :Nerd:

LOL!

Yep, this release was a sneaky surprise for everyone.  I occasionally check the AVSIM daily  "new releases" posts on the main page just to keep up with constant releases of new paints that I install manually, and was astounded to say the least to see not only that WOAI was still alive, but that they released fresh flightplans for the only carriers that seem to matter to most simmers, at least here in the good ole U.S.A., the four biggest domestic carriers!

All to often, WOAI was always a step behind, but boy did they make up for their long absence no?

To the OP and their concern over livery colors... it's highly realistic. There are a select few aircraft that are in the new colors which mirrors closely the real world.

Not all aircraft have been repainted and they probably won't for a few years.

Amen Jeremy.   Not sure why anyone would want to see livery usage that is not inline with reality.  I get a real kick out of seeing the occasional new AA livery at places like Heathrow, you can tell which routes are important to the new American by the vintage of the livery!   To each his own...

Amen Jeremy.   Not sure why anyone would want to see livery usage that is not inline with reality.  I get a real kick out of seeing the occasional new AA livery at places like Heathrow, you can tell which routes are important to the new American by the vintage of the livery!   To each his own...

Yeah, it's very nice to see the 777-300ER when you're in DFW in the new colors, because it adds to the realism. Let's not forget in v3 of the AA package they still had A300s! :unsure:

Jerermy and A.J. are correct.

Here in Miami, I am still seeing the vast majority of AA aircraft still flying in the old colors.  It's definitely cool to see the occasional newly painted airplane from time to time.  (I work near the airport).

Alexander Alonso

Loved it. Just like in real life there are just a few aircraft with the new livery.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Currently do an LAN Cargo flight from Miami - Viracopos. While I was waiting at the runway an American 737-800WL in new colors flew over me, love it!

Is there any batch file out there to automatically mipmap all the WOAI textures?

Someone made one for UT2 that's handy.

There is no batch file, like the UT2 file, made for non UT2 AI like WOAI.   But you can run a batch command with the windows Cmd prompt to batch process your daytime AI bitmaps.  It's a rather tedious process, but it's possible.

I would advise you work on a backup AI folder to make sure you don't mess things up permanently.  If you are a UT2 owner and have access to their customer forum, check out http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=6942&PN=1&title=mip-maps

The second pages show the specific command.   Basically, I would take a one AI model folder, i.e., the Aardvark 747-400GE, look for all the night lightmap textures (the ones with the _l instead of _t at the end of the filename) and lock them with the file properties dialog box so that the batch command ignores them.  And then I would run the batch command, and voila!  you have bitmapped and DXT1 (or DXT3/5 if you choose for slightly better image quality) _t daytime paints.   This will take a lot of time, and cutting and pasting, but it beats opening each individual paint in the Aces imagetool and processing one by one. 

This is kind of a hard to describe procedure, but do some research and practice on a backup folder, and with practice it is quite a time saver, and you will notice both improved IQ and better performance in the sim when you have loads of AI at heavy payware airports.

Do I have to delete the old version of WOAI AA Livery before installing v4?

Thanks.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.